Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#201 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:59 pm

I believe we have confirmed this to just be a slow start. We could be looking at 3+ majors when this season is over. What a slow start though.
6 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#202 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:14 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:I believe we have confirmed this to just be a slow start. We could be looking at 3+ majors when this season is over. What a slow start though.

This slow start has allowed a really backloaded quality vs quantity season.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#203 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:38 am

You know what I personally find astonishing? Every season since 2015 has featured a 155 mph storm or stronger.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:23 am

So glad to see this hurricane season shutting down early this year.... Ian was enough!
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#205 Postby tolakram » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:05 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:So glad to see this hurricane season shutting down early this year.... Ian was enough!

Uh huh. I'll wait until December to call it over. :)
6 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:48 am

tolakram wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:So glad to see this hurricane season shutting down early this year.... Ian was enough!

Yes sir, indeed....1932, 1961, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, and 2020 are perfect examples of why it's not over until it's over, especially if it's a cool neutral or La Nina year :lol:
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#207 Postby wxman57 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:05 am

It's over for the U.S. Very strong shear dominates the Gulf and East Coast. Can't rule out a SW Caribbean storm that tracks into Central America, or a weak storm out over the open Atlantic, but that's about it.
12 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#208 Postby LarryWx » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:12 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Yes sir, indeed....1932, 1961, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, and 2020 are perfect examples of why it's not over until it's over, especially if it's a cool neutral or La Nina year :lol:

Also, 1964, 1971, 1984, 1985, 1988, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017, 2021.....2/3 of Niña seasons since 1964 had significant land impacts late Oct or Nov.

Regarding 3rd year cold ENSO, alone: 1874, 1894, 1985 though 1910, 1917, 1956, 1975, and 2000 did not.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#209 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:31 am

wxman57 wrote:It's over for the U.S. Very strong shear dominates the Gulf and East Coast. Can't rule out a SW Caribbean storm that tracks into Central America, or a weak storm out over the open Atlantic, but that's about it.

I 100% agree, that would be all you would get. Just a renegade weak storm.........Not sure why some think that just because the season officially runs until December that we will see Hurricanes until December. Yes that sometimes has happened to a degree, but I've seen the season shut off many many times early And usually when it shuts off early everything just suddenly dries up like it's doing now... and feel free to send me a big plate of Crow if I'm wrong :) , as I will own up to it, allowing for the random weak storm of course that I mentioned :)
3 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#210 Postby skyline385 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:55 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
wxman57 wrote:It's over for the U.S. Very strong shear dominates the Gulf and East Coast. Can't rule out a SW Caribbean storm that tracks into Central America, or a weak storm out over the open Atlantic, but that's about it.

I 100% agree, that would be all you would get. Just a renegade weak storm.........Not sure why some think that just because the season officially runs until December that we will see Hurricanes until December. Yes that sometimes has happened to a degree, but I've seen the season shut off many many times early And usually when it shuts off early everything just suddenly dries up like it's doing now... and feel free to send me a big plate of Crow if I'm wrong :) , as I will own up to it, allowing for the random weak storm of course that I mentioned :)

Also something to note, the month of November only accounts for 5.5% of seasonal ACE even when using the very active 1991-2020 climo.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#211 Postby tolakram » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:43 am

skyline385 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:

Also something to note, the month of November only accounts for 5.5% of seasonal ACE even when using the very active 1991-2020 climo.

But it's just a guess, and I don't like guesses because one can't be 'right', even though I think there are some who think they will be.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#212 Postby skyline385 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 pm

tolakram wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:

But it's just a guess, and I don't like guesses because one can't be 'right', even though I think there are some who think they will be.

Actually those numbers are from CSU's real-time TC statistics page, you can see the average ACE for each day of the season on the plot.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?loc=northatlantic
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#213 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:10 am

skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

Actually those numbers are from CSU's real-time TC statistics page, you can see the average ACE for each day of the season on the plot.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?loc=northatlantic

Something not happening because the odds say it won't happen is still a guess.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#214 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:08 pm

You what I find particularly alarming? Pretty much under every year since 2016, you can watch a bunch of extensive news coverage videos on Youtube on at least one very destructive and powerful Atlantic hurricane. For example, there's a plethora of news videos you can watch about Ian, and the same goes for storms like 2021's Ida, 2020's Laura, 2019's Dorian, 2018's Michael...I can go on.

I think it's safe to say that we've entered a period of heightened land impacts in the Atlantic, and I genuinely wonder how long this kind of pattern will last.
5 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#215 Postby NorthieStangl » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Given it's late October and we haven't even reached the L name yet... so even if a late October/November monster forms, I would say that it'll end up being an average season.

But it'll be remembered as an unusually destructive, deadly "average" season. How many average season can you think of that produced FOUR very destructive and deadly storms? Fiona clobbered Puerto Rico and is Canada's costliest storm ever, Ian is Florida's costliest storm ever and the deadliest in nearly a century, Hermine killed 33 people in Spain's Canary Islands, and Julia had killed nearly a hundred people in multiple countries with about 50 people still missing. Not even 1985 was this costly or had as many fatalities.

So although it don't turn out to be a "hyperactive" season that everyone expected, there is no way that anyone in the future would say that the 2022 hurricane season underperformed. This season is definitely a "quality over quantity" season.
5 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:48 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:This season is definitely a "quality over quantity" season.

This isn't aimed just at your post because the term '"quality" is used quite often here and elsewhere to refer to the strength and/or impact of TCs. I don't like using the word "quality" in this context because it normally implies something desirable (striving for high quality) and the greatest amount of deaths, injuries, and destruction is almost always a result of these high "quality" storms..Ian for example.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#217 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:25 pm

LarryWx wrote:

This isn't aimed just at your post because the term '"quality" is used quite often here and elsewhere to refer to the strength and/or impact of TCs. I don't like using the word "quality" in this context because it normally implies something desirable (striving for high quality) and the greatest amount of deaths, injuries, and destruction is almost always a result of these high "quality" storms..Ian for example.

I always thought quality equals more hurricanes with fewer storms, and quantity is a lot of named storms.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#218 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:13 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

I always thought quality equals more hurricanes with fewer storms, and quantity is a lot of named storms.

So, if there's a higher degree of "quality" in a season, there's typically a higher % of storms capable of producing more casualties and damage since hurricanes are more often than not more deadly due to higher surge and winds (in addition to rain). And if a high % of a season's Hs are MHs, that's considered a higher "quality" season than if, say, none of the Hs are MHs. A higher "quality" season with all other things being equal is typically deadlier. Like this year. That's what bothers me about using that word. Quality is usually desirable. But not in this case.
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#219 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:08 pm

LarryWx wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

So, if there's a higher degree of "quality" in a season, there's typically a higher % of storms capable of producing more casualties and damage since hurricanes are more often than not more deadly due to higher surge and winds (in addition to rain). And if a high % of a season's Hs are MHs, that's considered a higher "quality" season than if, say, none of the Hs are MHs. A higher "quality" season with all other things being equal is typically deadlier. Like this year. That's what bothers me about using that word. Quality is usually desirable. But not in this case.

(On the bolded): Correct, that is the intention of a quality vs quantity season, the one where there are more stronger hurricanes with fewer storms to compete with each other. I'm afraid to say that there is always going to be a high casualty event where the storm makes landfall no matter what type of season we're facing.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#220 Postby al78 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:You what I find particularly alarming? Pretty much under every year since 2016, you can watch a bunch of extensive news coverage videos on Youtube on at least one very destructive and powerful Atlantic hurricane. For example, there's a plethora of news videos you can watch about Ian, and the same goes for storms like 2021's Ida, 2020's Laura, 2019's Dorian, 2018's Michael...I can go on.

I think it's safe to say that we've entered a period of heightened land impacts in the Atlantic, and I genuinely wonder how long this kind of pattern will last.

Maybe this is a regression to the mean and the 11-year U.S. major hurricane drought from 2006 to 2015 inclusive was the anomaly.
5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”