Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#241 Postby Hammy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
I believe aspen meant Fiona, Ian and Julia, not Lisa. Julia has a very high death toll despite "only" being a Cat 1.

Thank you for that clarification, Teban54, and that's highly probable, but with 91 dead and 50+ of those in Venezuela, as well as so many places not reporting their damage, I suppose it's possible, but at this point I'd say unlikely to be retired. Whether retired or not any storm that takes any life, is a storm that loved ones will like to see retired. I know this first hand.

A2K

Nate, Otto, and Cesar were all retired at the request of Costa Rica despite being lower than this, so it may come down to what their impacts were
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#242 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:22 am

Now that the models are still showing signs of life in the Atlantic late this month even going into December...I seriously think this season is actually trying to make up for the dead August. Maybe the overlying conditions this year were structured so that the hurricane season was merely delayed by like a month or so? So what we're plausibly going to see in the future may be more representative of late October/November conditions than late November/December conditions despite the calendar saying otherwise? And all of that August wave-breaking was more typical of July than anything?

7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”