Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#221 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:54 pm

tolakram wrote:Moved a bunch of posts from indicators into this thread. Some of this discussion is good so hopefully you aren't offended if I moved your post, but I want to keep indicators to INDICATORS. Thanks.

Finally getting a little taste of tropics this afternoon with a line off that Southern Plains low presumably with energy from the recent EPAC system.
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goes/s ... &length=24

Rotating in lines working like a warm front. Squally and moderate steady rain.

https://radar.weather.gov/station/KLIX/standard

Slow start? Maybe middle of the season. But better late than never and certainly better than more destruction for New Orleans.I’ll take gusting to 20 any day.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Is this just a very slow start to the season, or is the season actually going to significantly underperform?

#222 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:41 am

I am actually extremely curious to see how this hurricane season will impact tracker attitudes in future hurricane seasons (more specifically when it relates to "season canceling"), assuming it does. The fact that we managed to get a season that looked like toast, only to generate storms like Fiona or Ian later in September makes me wonder if this season could be that "turning point" that causes trackers to remain more patient in future seasons?
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#223 Postby CFLHurricane » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:46 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I am actually extremely curious to see how this hurricane season will impact tracker attitudes in future hurricane seasons…

Let’s not give humans too much credit in long term rational thinking. July through mid-August is and always will be “season cancelled” season because something exciting isn’t happening at that very moment. 2013 will remain the eternal hurricane season until a similarly bland season takes its place for a different generation.
6 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby Teban54 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:01 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I am actually extremely curious to see how this hurricane season will impact tracker attitudes in future hurricane seasons (more specifically when it relates to "season canceling"), assuming it does. The fact that we managed to get a season that looked like toast, only to generate storms like Fiona or Ian later in September makes me wonder if this season could be that "turning point" that causes trackers to remain more patient in future seasons?

A few users here have said they won't ever cancel a season again. I'm sure there will still be season cancel posts next July and August, though.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby aspen » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:50 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I am actually extremely curious to see how this hurricane season will impact tracker attitudes in future hurricane seasons (more specifically when it relates to "season canceling"), assuming it does. The fact that we managed to get a season that looked like toast, only to generate storms like Fiona or Ian later in September makes me wonder if this season could be that "turning point" that causes trackers to remain more patient in future seasons?

A few users here have said they won't ever cancel a season again. I'm sure there will still be season cancel posts next July and August, though.

It’s inevitable. The shock of this season may fade after 6+ months, and new people who didn’t go through the pre and early-season pause of 2022 will start tracking next year. I’ve certainly been taught a lesson about activity and impact. 2022 is at just half the NS count of 2021, and didn’t even have a single (official) storm in August, but has been far more impactful and deadly with a greater fraction of high-impact storms. There are three storms with at least moderate chances of retirement (Fiona, Ian, Lisa), and maybe even a fourth depending on what happens with 15L/Lisa. 2022 was an under-achiever when it came to seasonal numbers, but has been one of the more notable of the +AMO era in terms of impacts.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#226 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:29 pm

Pretty much sums it all up
9 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#227 Postby NorthieStangl » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:59 pm

It's hilarious that November will end up with at least 2 hurricanes when August had a grand total of 0 storm.
15 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#228 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:46 pm

You know, at this point, I think it's safe to say that it was just a very slow start to the season. The fact that this season is looking to have an unusually active November? With October and November being more active than August alone? Yeah this is just a radically backloaded season lol
6 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#229 Postby Hurricane2022 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:10 pm

Well, after a very very slow start, we are seeing an extremely backloaded season, with an unusually busy end of September (with 4 systems active simultaneously in September - Fiona, Gaston, Ian and Hermine), a modestly active October (1 TD, Hurricane Julia, TS Karl and Lisa on the last day of the month) and a much more active November than August, with 2 hurricanes (Lisa & Martin) and one more TS that could turn into another hurricane near Florida.

And comparing the current season status and the initial predictions, we could also say that 2022 underperformed significantly than expected, as almost all predictions pointed to a well above average, perhaps even hyperactive 2022 (Ex. CSU forecast of 10/20/5 and 180+ ACE). But so far we barely beat 100 ACE units and we only have 13 TS.
(let's also not forget the University of Arizona forecast of 15 tropical storms, 7 hurricanes and 3 majors in June, which almost hit the numbers for the current season.)

So we come to the obvious conclusion that everyone should know: the very slow start has led to a significantly less active season than expected, despite a lot of cyclone activity after September 1st.
7 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby Hammy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:58 am

I believe this year has had the most named storms of any season to go all of August without anything
8 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#231 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:59 pm

tolakram wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:
But it's just a guess, and I don't like guesses because one can't be 'right', even though I think there are some who think they will be.

Actually those numbers are from CSU's real-time TC statistics page, you can see the average ACE for each day of the season on the plot.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?loc=northatlantic

Something not happening because the odds say it won't happen is still a guess.

Wouldn't that make just about every NHC or NOAA seasonal projection for storms a "guess", even though based on odds and stats? Of course giving themselves such a wide range (14-21, originally, 14-20 adjusted) kinda cheapens the "guess" in my own humble opinion.
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:00 pm

Hammy wrote:I believe this year has had the most named storms of any season to go all of August without anything

Now what an ignominious honor that is, not that having a boatload of storms is any honor at all.
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#233 Postby tolakram » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
tolakram wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Actually those numbers are from CSU's real-time TC statistics page, you can see the average ACE for each day of the season on the plot.

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?loc=northatlantic

Something not happening because the odds say it won't happen is still a guess.

Wouldn't that make just about every NHC or NOAA seasonal projection for storms a "guess", even though based on odds and stats? Of course giving themselves such a wide range (14-21, originally, 14-20 adjusted) kinda cheapens the "guess" in my own humble opinion.

No, because their forecasts are not guesses, they try and use long range modelling and seasonal forecasts to determine number of storms.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:15 pm

aspen wrote:but has been far more impactful and deadly with a greater fraction of high-impact storms. There are three storms with at least moderate chances of retirement (Fiona, Ian, Lisa), and maybe even a fourth depending on what happens with 15L/Lisa.

I don't see how you can possibly say "FAR more impact storms". Ida of '21 matches more than enough with Ian, certainly it did more $ damage, and both were quite deadly. Fiona's "impact" was mostly as an extratropical storm with winds at Cat 2 level when it hit around Nova Scotia. [THIS is inaccurate, as I have since seen it's actual heaviest impact was on poor Puerto Rico, where at least 2 billion of the 2.8 billion was done, as well as 25 of the 31 known deaths] It was Cat 1 crossing between Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, and not trying to trivialize anything but in terms of damage, it's approx. $2.8 billion was seen mostly in the Maritimes of Canada. I DO agree that because it will go down as the worst on record to impact Canada, it, too, will be retired--for that reason. I don't see any others. Grace was a Cat 3 at landfall ('21) but fortunately came ashore somewhat north of Vera Cruz with 125 mph winds, still killing 16 people and in a region with not as much to damage still did a half billion. The 2021 season is the third costliest on record as of this post, Fortunately Cat 4's Larry and Sam for the most part expended themselves at sea but neither was small change. 2021 had an Ace some 80 points higher than 2022 at this point and it's unlikely that 2022 will get remotely close to that figure. As far as retirement, I agree with you on Fiona and Ian, But I'm not ready to concede any such thing as Lisa never got out of Cat 1, nor did it have a huge impact... just not enough to retire it. Ida was obviously retired from 2021. Not sure if I missed something but the 4th one you mentioned was another "Lisa", or were you speaking of Martin or Nicole? Only looking for clarification.
Last edited by Audrey2Katrina on Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#235 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:22 pm

No, because their forecasts are not guesses, they try and use long range modelling and seasonal forecasts to determine number of storms.

One could equally argue that the ACE figures cited were based on long range data accumulated for years; but that's fine, we can agree to disagree. In my estimation when you need to put forth an eight storm range as your prediction, that's a guess. My opinion. Now had it been within a range of no more than 3, I could say that was a bona-fide prediction. It seems I could predict that tonight's low will be somewhere between 30 and 80, and be fairly sure I'll get a win. Again, strictly my own perspective on things. To each his or her own.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#236 Postby Teban54 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:47 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
aspen wrote:but has been far more impactful and deadly with a greater fraction of high-impact storms. There are three storms with at least moderate chances of retirement (Fiona, Ian, Lisa), and maybe even a fourth depending on what happens with 15L/Lisa.

I don't see how you can possibly say "FAR more impact storms". Ida of '21 matches more than enough with Ian, certainly it did more $ damage, and both were quite deadly. Fiona's "impact" was mostly as an extratropical storm with winds at Cat 2 level when it hit around Nova Scotia. It was Cat 1 crossing between Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, and not trying to trivialize anything but in terms of damage, it's approx. $2.8 billion was seen mostly in the Maritimes of Canada. I DO agree that because it will go down as the worst on record to impact Canada, it, too, will be retired--for that reason. I don't see any others. Grace was a Cat 3 at landfall ('21) but fortunately came ashore somewhat north of Vera Cruz with 125 mph winds, still killing 16 people and in a region with not as much to damage still did a half billion. The 2021 season is the third costliest on record as of this post, Fortunately Cat 4's Larry and Sam for the most part expended themselves at sea but neither was small change. 2021 had an Ace some 80 points higher than 2022 at this point and it's unlikely that 2022 will get remotely close to that figure. As far as retirement, I agree with you on Fiona and Ian, But I'm not ready to concede any such thing as Lisa never got out of Cat 1, nor did it have a huge impact... just not enough to retire it. Ida was obviously retired from 2021. Not sure if I missed something but the 4th one you mentioned was another "Lisa", or were you speaking of Martin or Nicole? Only looking for clarification.

I believe aspen meant Fiona, Ian and Julia, not Lisa. Julia has a very high death toll despite "only" being a Cat 1.
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#237 Postby Hammy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote: It was Cat 1 crossing between Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, and not trying to trivialize anything but in terms of damage, it's approx. $2.8 billion was seen mostly in the Maritimes of Canada.

Puerto Rico's damage has not been tallied and none of it is included in that yet--so the final damage total will likely be quite a bit higher than this
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#238 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:36 pm

Hammy wrote:
Audrey2Katrina wrote: It was Cat 1 crossing between Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, and not trying to trivialize anything but in terms of damage, it's approx. $2.8 billion was seen mostly in the Maritimes of Canada.

Puerto Rico's damage has not been tallied and none of it is included in that yet--so the final damage total will likely be quite a bit higher than this

This is true, although even reports from Puerto Rico say that the damages from Cat 1 Fiona are largely due to as yet unrecovered areas from the horrendous damages done by Maria in 2017. Current figures given by the PR govt. state $2 billion in damages, 25 deaths, (citing San Juan NewsWep [EFE] dated Oct.1), so apparently it did more damage as a 1 in Puerto Rico than as a 2 when it reached Canada. I still do feel it will be retired.
1 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:42 pm

I believe aspen meant Fiona, Ian and Julia, not Lisa. Julia has a very high death toll despite "only" being a Cat 1.

Thank you for that clarification, Teban54, and that's highly probable, but with 91 dead and 50+ of those in Venezuela, as well as so many places not reporting their damage, I suppose it's possible, but at this point I'd say unlikely to be retired. Whether retired or not any storm that takes any life, is a storm that loved ones will like to see retired. I know this first hand.

A2K
0 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#240 Postby NorthieStangl » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:40 am

Three hurricanes in November. Imagine that!
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”