2022 TCRs

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: 2022 TCR's: Hurricane Ian is up (Upgraded to Cat 5)

#61 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:15 am

weeniepatrol wrote:$113B good Lord

Lots of expensive things for a hurricane to "break" in south Florida. Would have been a lot higher if Ian hit from the southeast into Miami (double? triple?). If Ian were to strike south Texas, the damage would be far less. Population density & per-capita wealth play a big part in hurricane damage totals.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#62 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:55 am

Hurricane Kay is up. With this report released, now all of them in both basins are up.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/EP122022_Kay.pdf

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#63 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:38 am

cycloneye wrote:Hurricane Kay is up. With this report released, now all of them in both basins are up.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/EP122022_Kay.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/QUUIwJT.jpg

Cool, although I don't think Kay deserves to be a Category 2, ditto the recon data
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:46 am

They didn't mention the upgrade in the head text for Ian so I was surprised to see that. This makes Ian at least the 4th hurricane to be upgraded to a Cat 5 postseason (Andrew, Emily? 2005, Michael).

These reports came out a little quicker compared to the last couple years (probably due to less storms).
6 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:42 pm

If Iota wasn't downgraded to Cat4 post season and Sam was somehow analyzed as Cat5, we could have an impressive 7-year streak of Cat5's in the Atl since Matthew '16.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:47 pm

Anybody know why Ian's pressure was in the 930s despite being a Cat 5? I was initially under the impression that Cat 5s typically have CPs in the 920s or below, and I find it interesting that Ian seems to be the first Atlantic Cat 5 in recent times that peaked as a Cat 5 with such a high pressure (even higher than Matthew's, though I have a feeling Matthew will be downgraded in the future as a Cat 4).
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#67 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:55 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Anybody know why Ian's pressure was in the 930s despite being a Cat 5? I was initially under the impression that Cat 5s typically have CPs in the 920s or below, and I find it interesting that Ian seems to be the first Atlantic Cat 5 in recent times that peaked as a Cat 5 with such a high pressure (even higher than Matthew's, though I have a feeling Matthew will be downgraded in the future as a Cat 4).

Pressure gradient. Ians’ was tighter than normal due to the strong surface high to its north, and so 937mb was sufficient for cat 5 winds
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:15 pm

galaxy401 wrote:They didn't mention the upgrade in the head text for Ian so I was surprised to see that. This makes Ian at least the 4th hurricane to be upgraded to a Cat 5 postseason (Andrew, Emily? 2005, Michael).

These reports came out a little quicker compared to the last couple years (probably due to less storms).

Yes, Hurricane Emily was upgraded to CAT 5 in the TCR for it.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#69 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby HurricaneBelle » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:05 pm

I haven't read any of the other TCRs for 2022 but is this something new this year where they don't include the surface obs with peak winds/minimum pressure like they always have in the past? I couldn't find any, just tables with ship reports and storm surge values.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#71 Postby tolakram » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:13 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:I haven't read any of the other TCRs for 2022 but is this something new this year where they don't include the surface obs with peak winds/minimum pressure like they always have in the past? I couldn't find any, just tables with ship reports and storm surge values.

Ship reports of winds of tropical storm force associated with Ian are given in Table 2, and
selected significant storm surge observations given in Table 3. A supplemental file containing a
larger selection of surface and buoy observations is available for download on the NHC website
at https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/supplemental/ian.xlsx. This file also contains rainfall reports
from National Weather Service Cooperative (COOP) stations and the Community Collaborative
Rain, Hail and Snow Network (CoCoRaHS) sites.

Not sure why they decided to leave out a table of surface observations, though it looks like many are inland. My guess is most of the reliable observation stations did not survive the peak of the storm.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#72 Postby Foxfires » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:13 am

cycloneye wrote:Here are their words about the upgrade to cat 5.

https://i.imgur.com/ha1ykEn.jpg

"It should be noted that the NHC best track intensities typically have an uncertainty of around ±10%, and that there is very little practical difference between a 140-kt category 5 and a 135-kt category 4 hurricane"

The 135kt vs 140kt debate is imo far hotter than it should be so I'm glad this is mentioned.
0 likes   

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2022 TCRs

#73 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:44 am

https://youtu.be/iGPzlzx6X4Y?t=391

Not to beat a dead horse, but another example of why I believe Fiona was one of the most intriguing cyclones to not only make landfall in Canada, but overall period context considered.

These destructive, crashing waves are literally eating houses, swallowing and pushing vehicles are if they are childrens toys at an absurd 76 feet above sea level. It's something that the CHC(Canadian Hurricane Center) and nobody else expected.

It genuinely looks like a tsunami, truly horrifying and what disgusts me the most is that this type of cataclysmic damage is not covered by insurance in Canada.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#74 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:58 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Anybody know why Ian's pressure was in the 930s despite being a Cat 5? I was initially under the impression that Cat 5s typically have CPs in the 920s or below, and I find it interesting that Ian seems to be the first Atlantic Cat 5 in recent times that peaked as a Cat 5 with such a high pressure (even higher than Matthew's, though I have a feeling Matthew will be downgraded in the future as a Cat 4).

Pressure gradient. Ians’ was tighter than normal due to the strong surface high to its north, and so 937mb was sufficient for cat 5 winds

Correct. It was in the vicinity of a ridge, which helped increase its winds a lot more than expected for a 937 pressure. (I would have also gone with cat 4 at Cuba landfall based on the combination of the rapid deepening and the pressure reading after landfall.)

If Matthew gets downgraded ultimately, I think 130 kt would be its southern Caribbean peak intensity (a blend of all the data), which is still quite high for 942 mb.
1 likes   

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2022 TCR's

#75 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:59 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
PavelGaborik10 wrote:I know the CHC had Fiona landfalling at 90 KTS in Nova Scotia PT, so it's interesting to see the NHC go with 85.

Personally considering the Sting jet reading a few hours before landfall and the fact that the winds were noticeably stronger than Juan(85 KTS) I'm a bit surprised they went with 85, I was anticipating 90, minimum.

There was also a 930 MB reading on land that missed the "center" of the low on Cape Breton Island.

That 930 may have been faulty or not representative. In the case of Juan, the winds were in a very small area (i.e., near and over Halifax Harbour) as it was a fully tropical, compact system, while Fiona was much, much larger. I've been incredibly busy the last few days with my Ph.D. dissertation and other work.

I think 120 kt is right for a peak (I estimated such as well) as well as the 931 mb tropical minimum pressure, but would have gone 85 kt at the landfall in the Dominican Republic and would have kept 90 kt for Nova Scotia landfall, thinking stronger winds were in place over water at the time (due to the sting jet location). As far as minimum pressure (while extratropical), I'd have estimated it at 928 mb at landfall, based on the earlier aircraft data and the wind speeds at the time of the Hart Island data (which was not the true landfall point).

I know they set 00Z as the time where it became ET, but you could argue it might have been a couple hours later (definitely before 06Z or landfall though, it was a quick transition).

So there is some rather significant disagreement between the CHC and NHC regarding this particular system. I'm not trying to get anybody into trouble, but through an "anonymous" source from the CHC, Juan while having a much tighter gradient of wind, still produced less wind, while with an extremely potent Sting Jet, Fiona still pumped out a 111 MPH gust, despite her strongest winds clearly being well to her south and offshore at the time as evident by the reading from recon.

The CHC feels as if max winds offshore were around 95 KTS when she came ashore, NHC went with 85 KTS, which is pretty absurd to me at least, considering Juan punched through tight core and all right through the the heart of Halifax and produced less wind than a post tropical system with it's maximum winds clearly offshore.

85 knots is just poor, I can see 90, 85? No, it simply doesn't make sense given the data presented. I tend to concur with the CHC here, 90-95 is the correct landfall intensity, despite those winds being offshore.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”