Central Atlantic Tropical Wave (Is Invest 96L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Central Atlantic Tropical Wave

#161 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:14 pm

cycloneye wrote:12z Euro ends here with a TS.

Interesting setup down the road, current conditions are marginal at best for development, will see what happy hour resolves
3 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:16 pm

sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:12Z Euro 216 has a scary setup with TCG days 8-9 Bahamas and a strong high to its north:

https://i.imgur.com/7XyjgLC.png

Yes and the 240 has it right on SFL doorstep. Maybe something to watch

Knowing the models this will probably stop dead in its tracks and curve away from SFL... wouldn't that be something.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#163 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:17 pm

It appears to me that regardless of the final outcome, this is likely going to be a long drawn out situation due to projected very slow movement of this AEW/weak steering currents. We could easily be dealing with this for the better part of two weeks.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby sma10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:18 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:12Z Euro 216 has a scary setup with TCG days 8-9 Bahamas and a strong high to its north:

https://i.imgur.com/7XyjgLC.png

Yes and the 240 has it right on SFL doorstep. Maybe something to watch

Knowing the models this will probably stop dead in its tracks and curve away from SFL... wouldn't that be something.

Yeah we've seen that before.
It is an interesting setup tho. CMC and Euro are almost identical. I guess something developing in that part of the world needs to be watched
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:36 pm

12Z Euro looks very similar to early Earl runs, very likely getting yanked away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby Nimbus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:38 pm

NDG wrote:Not a bad looking TW.

https://i.imgur.com/61HkjJ2.gif

Sharpened up this afternoon and the sunset frames show increased convection focused near 14N.
So if this becomes an invest early the models that are having trouble with the Hispaniola interaction will be initialized further north. Dry air will prevent RI but may not be enough to prevent this from closing off near 15N.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:42 pm

The 12Z JMA is the 2nd run with a TC from this after the similarly tracking TC that was on the 12Z yesterday. Today's gives the Virgin Islands to PR 6-7" of rainfall due to slow movement of it as a strengthening TD. Here is the 192, which has a strengthening TS turning north. It is hard to tell if this would have continued much further north because there's a new upper high then starting to build along the east US coast to its north in response to a strong digging NW US trough. My guess is that this new high would have at least slowed it down and possibly turned it back NW to WNW for a period of time:

2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm

Looks like a recurve here. Too far ahead in time but like someone said, this looks similar to pre-Earl.
4 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:34 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:https://i.imgur.com/aB8CHQh.png

Looks like a recurve here. Too far ahead in time but like someone said, this looks similar to pre-Earl.

Climo for 9/22 for those east of the Bahamas would favor recurve and that's what they mostly do here. But there also many members on your map either within the Bahamas (some recurve and some don't; some are actually turning left) or near Cuba (no recurves).
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby boca » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:41 pm

It seems like the all or most recurve in the Bahamas unless the high is strong enough to keep it going west.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#171 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:47 pm

boca wrote:It seems like the all or most recurve in the Bahamas unless the high is strong enough to keep it going west.

Hmm.. not so sure about that. Half want to bend back left at the end of the run and this is by Day 10 so it could obviously change.

3 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby sma10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:01 pm

There is a definite bifurcation. Maybe earlier developers find the escape hatch, while late developers, which are further SW, get caught by the ridge. Either way, purely academic at this point
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 pm

sma10 wrote:

There is a definite bifurcation. Maybe earlier developers find the escape hatch, while late developers, which are further SW, get caught by the ridge. Either way, purely academic at this point

Indeed, those which stay weak may end up being more dangerous later.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#174 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:09 pm

For late September, the 1929 Bahamas hurricane sure had a strange path :D
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#175 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:14 pm

I posted a couple of days ago this would be a system we would be talking a lot
about in the coming days, I think this system is poised to overperform the models .

It is coming across very warm waters at the peak of Hurricane Season with moderate to low
shear . it will have deal with some dry air but we have seen systems overcome that before.

I think the models have already are starting to catch up to the systems potential.
Not saying this is going to be a major but it is a definite one to watch.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#176 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:19 pm

0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#177 Postby Blown Away » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:24 pm

jlauderdal wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/zUyIOnW.jpg
Interesting setup down the road, current conditions are marginal at best for development, will see what happy hour resolves

That position in Sept 22, Jeanne being exception, just a bit late for a W moving system to impact FL from the E.
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Central Atlantic Tropical Wave

#178 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:35 pm

Blown Away wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:

That position in Sept 22, Jeanne being exception, just a bit late for a W moving system to impact FL from the E.
This is an odd season so beware of strange outcomes.
4 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#179 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Blown Away wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:

The 1928 hurricane hit WPB on sept 17th and the 1926 hurricane hit miami on sept 18th, so this
system would only be a few days later.
These are rare events but if conditions are right I wouldnt be totally suprised to be hit by a late season
hurricane In S fla.from a west moving storm. Hoping not.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:51 pm

sma10 wrote:

Going to end of 12Z EPS as regards the CONUS, it is active Sept 21-26 with 9 H landfalls: 1 on NYC, 3 on SC, 4 on FL (Cape Canaveral, Keys, Tampa, E Panhandle), and 1 on MS.

So, a US hit from the Gulf could very much be in play here, especially if there's a delay in development. I continue to have the Gulf coast of FL as the highest seasonal risk area based on 8 ENSO analogs.
Last edited by LarryWx on Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”