What are your personal NS/H/MH predictions for the rest of the season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

What are your personal NS/H/MH predictions for the rest of the season?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:10 am

It's undoubtedly been a slow and strange year, but I think still that between now and November 30 (December 31 if possibilities of off-season storms count) is quite a bit of time, with the potential that things could change rather quickly (remember, the atmosphere is not static, and we are entering fall; also keep in mind that even a small pocket of favorability could be enough to spur something into action). With that being said, I would like to ask what people think the season will feature based on the standard NS/H/MH statistic between the time after Earl dissipates and December 31. My personal guess is 7/3/2 (including one tropical storm in December that forms at a very high latitude thanks to the ridiculously warm subtropics), ending the season with 12/5/2. One major hurricane late this month or October (Cat 4 or possibly Cat 5), and one major hurricane in November (Cat 3).
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What are your personal NS/H/MH predictions for the rest of the season?

#2 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:51 am

I’m thinking a final total of 8/4/1 and 40-60 ACE at the most. With how the Atlantic has been this year, I find it very unlikely that we’ll surpass 10 NS, and I’m skeptical we’ll see a major based on how the deep tropics have been dead and Earl tripped over itself.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby NDG » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:29 am

I am going to wait at least one more week before I can give it a shot, but most like average activity at best for the rest of the season. 8-)
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Blown Away » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:22 am

9/4/2
I’m anticipating more N Atlantic action well into November with possible December STS, SST’s so warm up there.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:31 am

Blown Away wrote:9/4/2
I’m anticipating more N Atlantic action well into November with possible December STS, SST’s so warm up there.

I'm not very sure about that part, wind shear is likely going to be crazy because the abnormally warm SST's could help fuel powerful nontropical cyclones (Or bomb cyclones) starting around Mid-October.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:14 am

Definitely revising my numbers down from my original 15/8/4. Thinking 6/3/2 for the rest of the season, for a total of 11/5/2. To be more specific on my unsourced speculation, I think the 3 TS’s and 1 hurricane would be in the subtropics, and the 2 MHs would be in the Caribbean/Gulf. If the WPAC continues to heat up at all, I could see a recurving typhoon or two resulting in downstream troughs deep enough to interact with a Caribbean wave or CAG in late September or October to create those MHs. The blind squirrel GFS is bound to find a nut or two eventually, right?
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#7 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:13 am

Expecting more 7 Tropical Storms, with 5 hurricanes and 3 majors.
Total numbers of 2022 may be 12 / 7 / 3.
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby FireRat » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:20 am

I'm tempted to stick to my guns and say 15/7/4 for the rest of the season... but that's practically impossible at this point. This season looks like one of those when bearishness is going to win, so my best guess now for the rest of the season is this:

6/4/2.

Brings us to a total of 11/6/2. Earl would be one of the majors if he gets upgraded btw.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:22 pm

Preseason numbers were 19/9/4... obviously not going to happen.

Changing that to 10/5/2, definitely a weird season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a short burst of activity in late Sept/early Oct but we're far enough into the season to where it's obvious the overall state of the basin is unfavorable.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:53 pm

My Preseason numbers are way too high, I don't know when to lower it yet, but I've already lowered the Named Storms to 12
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby skyline385 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:02 pm

My preseason numbers were 22/13/5 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going to go with 10/4/2 now so 5/2/2 for the rest of the season :D
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:53 pm

My guess at this point is 8/4/0. Might get a hurricane or two in September-October in the subtropics. Earl not becoming a major hurricane surprised me.

Like 2013, this will certainly be a long-studied hurricane season. Will be fascinating to read.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby zal0phus » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:32 pm

I think a total named storm count, at most, of 10/4/1. The sole major hurricane may not even happen at all, but if it does, I think it'll be strong and towards the end of the season, perhaps even the final storm.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Hammy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:41 pm

There were a lot of mixed signals so I never made a pre-season prediction but at the moment I'm thinking 9-13 storms total, 5-7 hurricanes, and 0-2 majors. I think at minimum, we'll see at least 1/2/1 for storms for the rest of Sep/Oct/Nov, but expecting 3/4/1 for those months.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:12 pm

8 named storms, 5 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes.
80 Ace.
This season is shaping up poorly but it still has the rest of September and October to produce some bangers.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”