Will the EPAC end up more active than ATLC this year?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will the EPAC end up more active than ATLC in 2022?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:06 am

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 24

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#1 Postby Astromanía » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 pm

What are you thoughts, given the ongoing La Niña?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Will the EPAC end up more active than ATLC this year?

#2 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:12 am

Now seems likely. Thanks to a combo of a strange PDO and no WPAC/ATL competition. PDO is very warm off of North America.

Typical suppressive PDO is usually cold off of North America.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:45 am

Kingarabian wrote:Thanks to a combo of a strange PDO and no WPAC/ATL competition. PDO is very warm off of North America.

This la nina is acting like an el nino for odd to say the least.
0 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:16 am

Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Thanks to a combo of a strange PDO and no WPAC/ATL competition. PDO is very warm off of North America.

Hardly. The atmospheric Niña coupling right now is at record levels and I’d actually say this is reflected by the tropical cyclone activity in all NHEM basins.
2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:43 am

Yellow Evan wrote:

Hardly. The atmospheric Niña coupling right now is at record levels and I’d actually say this is reflected by the tropical cyclone activity in all NHEM basins.

Nina is strong in the ENSO regions but outside of that i am not so sure honestly. Look at the waters of the west coast particularly and how they are closer to 2015 than 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby NotSparta » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:20 pm

skyline385 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:This la nina is acting like an el nino for odd to say the least.

Nina is strong in the ENSO regions but outside of that i am not so sure honestly. Look at the waters of the west coast particularly and how they are closer to 2015 than 2010.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/d15f51df3648348328a0009c4a2e74cb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/b058ea5f4195e7e211591626db66078b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/414d5f388bf2abacf4a90682e0869acb.jpg

Those off equatorial regions are irrelevant to ENSO
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:23 pm

NotSparta wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:

Those off equatorial regions are irrelevant to ENSO

Which is why i said Nina is strong in the ENSO regions. Yes those regions outside are irrelevant to ENSO specifically but they are clearly having some influence on the season.

0 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby WiscoWx02 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:26 pm

This is definitely a no brainer at this point. EPAC all the way and by a landslide. Atlantic is toast for finishing anywhere near average and the eastern Pacific has already been relatively active all year so it’s not going to take much to finish on top. Even if we had no more hurricanes in the east Pac all season I still think we’d finish with a lot more ACE there than in the Atlantic.
2 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:44 pm

skyline385 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:This la nina is acting like an el nino for odd to say the least.

Look at the waters off Japan and how warm they are, stretching the Hadley Cell in the WPAC. I’ll concede the warm SST’s may be raising the thermodynamic potential of a few storms, but this year has atmospherically resembled a La Niña, with MEI at near record levels, extensive heat in the extratropics, strong monsoons, little convection over the tropical Pacific, no signs of a WPAC monsoon trough until just now, EPAC TC’s have been limited to east of 115W and have mostly been sheared by ULAC’s by Mexico, and said extratropical warmth triggering ACB over the Atlantic making it hostile. In an El Niño, you’d be seeing a lot more oceanic tropical warmth and convection in general, including obviously the Pacific, and that would be shearing the Atlantic, especially the Caribbean while the Pacific basins would have a much easier time producing stronger storms.
3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:05 pm

The EPac is already at almost 90 ACE. It’ll take a couple of majors to get the Atlantic past 50 ACE at this rate. Who would’ve guessed that such a strong La Niña would yield one of the most active -ENSO EPac years (especially in the number of hurricanes), but also feature potentially one of the least active Atlantic seasons on record.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm

aspen wrote:The EPac is already at almost 90 ACE. It’ll take a couple of majors to get the Atlantic past 50 ACE at this rate. Who would’ve guessed that such a strong La Niña would yield one of the most active -ENSO EPac years (especially in the number of hurricanes), but also feature potentially one of the least active Atlantic seasons on record.

I've been thinking that we're having a Modoki-like La Nina, where the conditions that were supposed to be unfavorable end up in the Atlantic instead of normally being in the EPAC.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
aspen wrote:The EPac is already at almost 90 ACE. It’ll take a couple of majors to get the Atlantic past 50 ACE at this rate. Who would’ve guessed that such a strong La Niña would yield one of the most active -ENSO EPac years (especially in the number of hurricanes), but also feature potentially one of the least active Atlantic seasons on record.

I've been thinking that we're having a Modoki-like La Nina, where the conditions that were supposed to be unfavorable end up in the Atlantic instead of normally being in the EPAC.

This actually doesn't seem to be a Modoki La Nina. Modoki La Ninas typically feature much warmer Nino 1,2 regions. The Nino 1,2 region, equatorially, is not as warm as years such as 2011, which were true, operationally defined Modoki La Nina years.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:44 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

This actually doesn't seem to be a Modoki La Nina. Modoki La Ninas typically feature much warmer Nino 1,2 regions. The Nino 1,2 region, equatorially, is not as warm as years such as 2011, which were true, operationally defined Modoki La Nina years.

Can this La Nina be the one that is acting like a Modoki La Nina? This situation is very unique, I have never seen anything like this before.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#14 Postby Astromanía » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:

How la niña affect the Southern hemisphere? coz last season was a below average
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:38 pm

In regards to the EPAC, TC activity is dictated mainly by ENSO/PDO/PMM. That being said, the PDO and the PMM are closely associated with ENSO. So if ENSO is cool/La Nina, expect the PDO and PMM to be negative.

While the PDO and the PMM are negative due to values of certain anomalies in their respective regions, the anomalies near North America have remained abnormally warm.

So with La Nina favoring TCG near North America and the current warm SST configuration, it's not a surprise to see the above average numbers in the EPAC.
But it is a surprise to many (including me) who simply thought there would be a slow EPAC season due to the negative values in the ENSO/PDO/PMM variables.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”