How strong will Fiona get?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:54 am

TS
3%
C1
3%
C2
No votes
C3
37%
C4
55%
C5
3%

Total votes: 38

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:54 am

poll ends in 2 days
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How strong will Fiona get?

#2 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:56 am

A 3, 115-125 mph.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:54 am

C4. 130 - 140 mph
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby kevin » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am

A mid-grade cat 4, 120 kt, 943 mbar
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:03 am

Well, we know that a TS peak is out of the window now. :D
5 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Landy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am

Voted that Fiona would be our first major way in a poll a few months back, so I'll vote for C4.
1 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby Chris90 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Voted C4.

120kts / 939mb.
0 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:11 am

Going with 100 kts Cat 3, Fiona is going to be in the same environment as Earl and the hurricane models show it develop a large eye similar to Earl, meaning pressure drop might again end up being used to sustain a large wind field.
Last edited by skyline385 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:17 am

Cat 4
115kts/948mb
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:41 am

skyline385 wrote:Going with 100 kts Cat 3, Fiona is going to be in the same environment as Earl and the hurricane models show it develop a large eye similar to Earl, meaning pressure drop might again end up being used to sustain a large wind field.

Earl's environment wasn't the problem, the convective collapse gutted the inner core and it was never able to reestablish itself, so it expanded rather than strengthening as the pressure dropped.

I agree it won't likely exceed a 3, but that's more because the shear is going to increase, and the models have been trending slightly higher pressure with each run.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: How strong will Fiona get?

#11 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am

Hammy wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Going with 100 kts Cat 3, Fiona is going to be in the same environment as Earl and the hurricane models show it develop a large eye similar to Earl, meaning pressure drop might again end up being used to sustain a large wind field.

Earl's environment wasn't the problem, the convective collapse gutted the inner core and it was never able to reestablish itself, so it expanded rather than strengthening as the pressure dropped.

I agree it won't likely exceed a 3, but that's more because the shear is going to increase, and the models have been trending slightly higher pressure with each run.

I don't think convective collapse was a problem until Earl was up high in the latitudes, however the symptoms of it's large core were showing up early including the broad pressure gradient that me and several others commented on in the discussion thread and the fact that during it's entire intensification process, the winds were always underperforming compared to it's pressure drop.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Last edited by skyline385 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:41 am

skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I don't think convective collapse was a problem until it was way high in the latitudes, however the symptoms of it's large core were showing up early including the broad pressure gradient that me and several others commented on in the discussion thread and the fact that during it's entire intensification process, the winds were always underperforming compared to it's pressure drop.

The convective collapse was noted in the discussion when earl, while finally experiencing less windshear, stopped intensifying. That discussion is here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/a ... .024.shtml?

You can read all the discussions in the archive: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/EARL.shtml?

Earl did not do anything unusual, in fact it behaved more like expected, with the models all predicting something that was rare and in fact never happened.

While it is relatively rare to
see such an intense hurricane at that latitude in the forecast
period, the guidance support, plus the favorable environment of Earl
being positioned in the right entrance region of a upper-level jet
streak ahead of the trough should provide both good dynamical
support on top of the favorable thermodynamic environment by the
warm SSTs.

Earl was a sheared storm and constantly entrained dry air due to shear. Nothing unusual in my opinion. If we are going to see a C3 or C4 from Fiona it's going to have to happen while still near the Bahamas, again in my opinion.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 am

Hammy wrote:

I haven’t noticed any noticeable change in the models’ intensity outputs. The GFS, HWRF, HMON, and HAFS still get this into the low 940s/high 930s or lower; even the ICON gets down into the 940s.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:58 am

tolakram wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I don't think convective collapse was a problem until it was way high in the latitudes, however the symptoms of it's large core were showing up early including the broad pressure gradient that me and several others commented on in the discussion thread and the fact that during it's entire intensification process, the winds were always underperforming compared to it's pressure drop.

The convective collapse was noted in the discussion when earl, while finally experiencing less windshear, stopped intensifying. That discussion is here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/a ... .024.shtml?

You can read all the discussions in the archive: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/EARL.shtml?

Earl did not do anything unusual, in fact it behaved more like expected, with the models all predicting something that was rare and in fact never happened.

While it is relatively rare to
see such an intense hurricane at that latitude in the forecast
period, the guidance support, plus the favorable environment of Earl
being positioned in the right entrance region of a upper-level jet
streak ahead of the trough should provide both good dynamical
support on top of the favorable thermodynamic environment by the
warm SSTs.

Earl was a sheared storm and constantly entrained dry air due to shear. Nothing unusual in my opinion. If we are going to see a C3 or C4 from Fiona it's going to have to happen while still near the Bahamas, again in my opinion.

I remember that discussion, it mentioned that the shear at that point was low (less than 10 kts) and that the dry air intrusion was unexpected, it also mentioned that Earl had 36 hours still left before favorable conditions subsided. It was also after that discussion that the recon got there and found a broad pressure gradient with a large wind field.

Fiona will be a similar case (in my opinion), its peak will have to be before it starts recurving around the Bahamas, after that all models show the wind field expand significantly as it gains a ridiculous forward speed from the trough interaction.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:27 am

I’m thinking Fiona’s ceiling will be 120-130 kt. Based on the hurricane models, it has until Wednesday morning before its wind field begins to expand, and until Wednesday night/Thursday morning before an EWRC begins. In theory, that’s enough time for Fiona to go nuts, and it has a far better structure for RI than Earl despite being over land for 7 hours. Earl had to build its core from scratch after being shared to death and it ended up being too big from the start; Fiona is leaving DR with a more compact core and won’t immediately be interacting with a trough.

Unfortunately, it looks like Fiona will also impact Bermuda, and it could still be a major then if it bombs out in the next 24-48 hours. It’s remarkable how such a tiny target is constantly in the crosshairs of up to multiple TCs a year.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby Old-TimeCane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:51 am

Cat 4 120kts/939mb
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:26 pm

A C1 Peak option is now out of the window already. :D
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#18 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:C4. 130 - 140 mph

Can I change my vote to C5? :lol: :cry:
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:32 pm

I voted 3, that might be too low.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby Old-TimeCane » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:53 pm

tolakram wrote:I voted 3, that might be too low.

I'm already thinking my vote of 120kts C 4 is too low. I'm now thinking this might be another one of those 155mph storms that get debated for years as to whether or not it was really a 5.
1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”