2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

#161 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:56 pm

The letters F and I have been the most retired since 1954.

https://twitter.com/wxjerdman/status/1641181592000294913

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona/ Ian retired

#162 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:33 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wow, I really like the new names. Kind of figured Idris could replace Ian. But Farrah too? I like the Middle Eastern-roots flavor here!

They may both have Middle Eastern origins (though Farah is much more common as the Roman alphabet spelling of the Middle Eastern name), but my first impression is that they are also both "movie star" names, though of different generations. But for many Americans I would think Farrah Fawcett and Idris Elba would be the only "real life person" examples they know of these two names.
3 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

#163 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun May 21, 2023 1:02 am

The final report from the WMO meeting is up.

Interestingly for retirement, Fiona was a shared request from Canada and USA (Puerto Rico). Ian was requested from the USA.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#164 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 21, 2023 5:58 am

CrazyC83 wrote:The final report from the WMO meeting is up.

Interestingly for retirement, Fiona was a shared request from Canada and USA (Puerto Rico). Ian was requested from the USA.

Puerto Rico request had to be 100% made.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”