2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

#1 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:08 pm

What will 2022 hold in Name Retirements in Tropical Cyclones?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements

#2 Postby Teban54 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:35 pm

I thought me posting this thread on the bell ringing day last year (edit: 2021) was early... Now we have this while still in 2021 lol.
Last edited by Teban54 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:23 pm

If this section is intended for just the Atlantic basin, then we're likely in for about an 8-month wait to find out. If in general, it'll likely be some very strong South Pacific or WPAC storm.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Teban54 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:If this section is intended for just the Atlantic basin, then we're likely in for about an 8-month wait to find out. If in general, it'll likely be some very strong South Pacific or WPAC storm.

These threads are generally for global cyclone retirements, as WPAC/EPAC retirements have frequently been discussed here. So aside from the southern hemisphere, it might also get activity if we end up with an early WPAC monster (like Surigae) that actually makes landfall.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:28 pm

With this damage and what lies ahead, this may be the last storm named Fiona. Even a relatively slow start can't stop destructive storms.
16 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm

Yup, was just thinking about mentioning that if everything goes as wrong as they can, Fiona may be done after this season.

Top 4 personal favorite storm names if Fiona gets replaced: Freya, Flavia, Fern, Fatima
7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:52 pm

I'm not sure what the damage estimates are, but I suspect it will be over $10 billion, maybe $20 billion. That would get Fiona retired.
9 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby AJC3 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:35 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:With this damage and what lies ahead, this may be the last storm named Fiona. Even a relatively slow start can't stop destructive storms.

Agreed. The flooding impacts for PR alone merit retirement.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Cyclones Retirement

#9 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Not exactly sure if this will age like wine or milk, but I'm starting to think we may need a new H female name for List 2 if 98L follows some of the model guidance. Thank goodness this won't be a letter later, or else we'll be dealing with a headache yet again in terms of names lol.

The good thing is there's a whole bunch of female H names that can be used. Heather? Holly? Heidi? Hailey? Mmm, lots of them :P
5 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:19 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:Not exactly sure if this will age like wine or milk, but I'm starting to think we may need a new H female name for List 2 if 98L follows some of the model guidance. Thank goodness this won't be a letter later, or else we'll be dealing with a headache yet again in terms of names lol.

The good thing is there's a whole bunch of female H names that can be used. Heather? Holly? Heidi? Hailey? Mmm, lots of them :P

Very true, it looks like unless the eastern wave rushes out that the I curse will not go this year. But yeah, Heather sounds like a good pick. As far as replacing Fiona, my picks are Faith, Filomena or Frieda.
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 pm

Names NOT available for replacement names:

Female F names - Fay, Felicia, Fernanda, Fifi, Flor, Flora, Florence, Flossie, Fran, Frances, Francine
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

If Fiona gets retired I think a good replacement would be Fabiola, which is the female "F" name that has most recently been popular in Puerto Rico.
1 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#13 Postby NorthieStangl » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:55 am

AJC3 wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:With this damage and what lies ahead, this may be the last storm named Fiona. Even a relatively slow start can't stop destructive storms.

Agreed. The flooding impacts for PR alone merit retirement.

I think it will be CANADA that will request Fiona's retirement. The way it looks, I won't be surprised if Fiona will end up being Canada's first billion-dollars storm.
3 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:47 pm

Question: does the WMO have some sort of vendetta against 4 syllable names? I've noticed that at least on the standard EPAC and Atlantic lists, there seem to be only 3 names that are 4 syllables long: Olivia, Isaias, and Veronica.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:51 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Question: does the WMO have some sort of vendetta against 4 syllable names? I've noticed that at least on the standard EPAC and Atlantic lists, there seem to be only 3 names that are 4 syllables long: Olivia, Isaias, and Veronica.

I don't think so, I was thinking that they are trying to put out names that are easy to say and pronounce.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Question: does the WMO have some sort of vendetta against 4 syllable names? I've noticed that at least on the standard EPAC and Atlantic lists, there seem to be only 3 names that are 4 syllables long: Olivia, Isaias, and Veronica.

I think calling this a "vendetta" is hyperbole, but it makes perfect sense that names chosen for the tropical storm lists should be short. The whole purpose of giving them names is to give them a quick recognizable designation that will differentiate them from other storms active at the same time. Short names are better for quick communication in the media.
5 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:51 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:

I think calling this a "vendetta" is hyperbole, but it makes perfect sense that names chosen for the tropical storm lists should be short. The whole purpose of giving them names is to give them a quick recognizable designation that will differentiate them from other storms active at the same time. Short names are better for quick communication in the media.

Didn't stop them from coming up with Isaias. :P Of course I guess they can't exactly afford to be too picky when it comes to the I names.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#18 Postby NorthieStangl » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Not exactly sure if this will age like wine or milk, but I'm starting to think we may need a new H female name for List 2 if 98L follows some of the model guidance. Thank goodness this won't be a letter later, or else we'll be dealing with a headache yet again in terms of names lol.

Oops, spoke too soon. Now we need to figure out yet another male I name. Although there's a chance that it will fizzle out and underperform our expectations.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:05 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:

Oops, spoke too soon. Now we need to figure out yet another male I name. Although there's a chance that it will fizzle out and underperform our expectations.

I think the lesson I learned is especially if it's peak season and there are multiple AOIs, you should never automatically assume that one AOI will be named "so and so." Clearly the Hermine/Ian debacle showed how extremely close names can be assigned and why pre-naming systems is a bad idea :lol:
3 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#20 Postby Torino » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:17 am

Fiona - Felicity, Frida, Farrah, Flavia, Faith
Ian - Irving, Ira, Idris, Ivor, Ives
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”