2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Cyclones Retirement

#101 Postby Teban54 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:34 am

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:I also don't think it's really a big issue to have similar sounding names on lists for different years. What they really should be paying attention to is avoiding putting very similar names on both the Eastern Pacific and Atlantic lists in the same year. It's not going to be very confusing to have Julia and Julian both in the Atlantic in their separate years, but if you have a Julian along Mexico's east coast at the same time there was a Julia in the Gulf, that could cause confusion which really could lead to some tragic consequences.

Sara and Tara is a example that already exists. (IIRC, Susan was an option for Sandy's replacement. It might even have been the #1 option, but I could be wrong.)

Sometimes there are similar names on the same list in the same basin too... Arthur and Bertha come to mind.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#102 Postby GSBHurricane » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:03 am

NorthieStangl wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:It's hard to say regarding Julia if it is worthy. Of the countries in that region, Costa Rica seems to be the most liberal when it comes to retiring names, but there have been weaker storms retired there before.

Amanda killed 40 people in May 2021 and it's still on the list, so Julia's (in addition to Hermine's) chances are iffy at this point. Might be too early to call. I won't be surprised if Julia got thrown into the can along with Fiona and Ian, but I'm not expecting it.

Hermine, at the moment, has an even lower chance since Spain has no history of retiring any name - the only European countries, as far as I know, that had done so are France (Klaus 1990 is an infamous example) and the UK (Fabian 2003, Paloma 2008), even though the Netherlands is also on the hurricane committee due to the multiple dependencies in the Caribbean. Also don't forget the Lorenzo debate from 2019 after it affected the Azores and many people are so sure that Portugal would ask for its retirement, and that didn't happen.

Fiona - 100%
Hermine - 25%
Ian - 100%
Julia - 50%

I don't think Hermine will be retired. Even with the death toll, Spain isn't on the Hurricane Committee so it can't formally request anything. The UK, France, and the Netherlands are the only European countries on the committee and that is largely due to their Caribbean possessions. I recall finding that France requested all three retirees in 2007 (Dean, Felix, and Noel). Actually, I just saw it was Bermuda and the British Caribbean Territories that made those requests, not Britain itself.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#103 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Who has made the decisions for recent retirements since 2010 (in reverse chronological order):

Ida - USA

Laura - USA
Eta - Costa Rica
Iota - Costa Rica

Dorian - Bahamas

Florence - USA
Michael - USA

Harvey - USA
Irma - USA (and others?)
Maria - USA (and others?)
Nate - Costa Rica

Matthew - Haiti
Otto - Costa Rica

Erika - Dominica
Joaquin - USA

Ingrid - Mexico

Sandy - USA

Irene - USA

Igor - Canada
Tomas - St. Lucia
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:15 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Who has made the decisions for recent retirements since 2010 (in reverse chronological order):

Ida - USA

Laura - USA
Eta - Costa Rica
Iota - Costa Rica

Dorian - Bahamas

Florence - USA
Michael - USA

Harvey - USA
Irma - USA (and others?)
Nate - Costa Rica

Matthew - Haiti
Otto - Costa Rica

Erika - Dominica
Joaquin - USA

Ingrid - Mexico

Sandy - USA

Irene - USA

Igor - Canada
Tomas - St. Lucia

Didn't Joaquin also strike the Bahamas ?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#105 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:17 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Who has made the decisions for recent retirements since 2010 (in reverse chronological order):

Ida - USA

Laura - USA
Eta - Costa Rica
Iota - Costa Rica

Dorian - Bahamas

Florence - USA
Michael - USA

Harvey - USA
Irma - USA (and others?)
Nate - Costa Rica

Matthew - Haiti
Otto - Costa Rica

Erika - Dominica
Joaquin - USA

Ingrid - Mexico

Sandy - USA

Irene - USA

Igor - Canada
Tomas - St. Lucia

Didn't Joaquin also strike the Bahamas ?

Yes, but I don't think they made the case.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby Teban54 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Ida - USA

Laura - USA
Eta - Costa Rica
Iota - Costa Rica

Dorian - Bahamas

Florence - USA
Michael - USA

Harvey - USA
Irma - USA (and others?)
Nate - Costa Rica

Matthew - Haiti
Otto - Costa Rica

Erika - Dominica
Joaquin - USA

Ingrid - Mexico

Sandy - USA

Irene - USA

Igor - Canada
Tomas - St. Lucia

Does this consider if multiple countries requested retirement? I can't imagine Costa Rica being the only country that requested Eta and Iota.
2 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 pm

I doubt Venezuela has any say in retirements and that country has the majority of the deaths from Julia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Julia_(2022)
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#108 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:39 am

Ida - USA

Laura - USA
Eta - Costa Rica
Iota - Costa Rica

Dorian - Bahamas

Florence - USA
Michael - USA

Harvey - USA
Irma - USA (and others?)
Nate - Costa Rica

Matthew - Haiti
Otto - Costa Rica

Erika - Dominica
Joaquin - USA

Ingrid - Mexico

Sandy - USA

Irene - USA

Igor - Canada
Tomas - St. Lucia

For Tomas, Curaçao and Costa Rica also requested its retirement. Cuba requested Matthew as well. For Maria, I’m guessing Dominica requested it since Margot is a French name and French is a common vernacular language on that island and that damage there totaled 226% of its GDP.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#109 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 am

Sciencerocks wrote:I doubt Venezuela has any say in retirements and that country has the majority of the deaths from Julia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Julia_(2022)

Venezuelan is on the committee so a request is possible.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#110 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:54 am

GSBHurricane wrote:I don't think Hermine will be retired. Even with the death toll, Spain isn't on the Hurricane Committee so it can't formally request anything. The UK, France, and the Netherlands are the only European countries on the committee and that is largely due to their Caribbean possessions. I recall finding that France requested all three retirees in 2007 (Dean, Felix, and Noel). Actually, I just saw it was Bermuda and the British Caribbean Territories that made those requests, not Britain itself.

Why would Spain have to have a representative on the committee to "formally request" a name to be retired? I am sure someone in the official weather agency in Spain knows how to write a letter formally requesting the name be retired and send it to the World Meteorological Organization.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:55 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:I don't think Hermine will be retired. Even with the death toll, Spain isn't on the Hurricane Committee so it can't formally request anything. The UK, France, and the Netherlands are the only European countries on the committee and that is largely due to their Caribbean possessions. I recall finding that France requested all three retirees in 2007 (Dean, Felix, and Noel). Actually, I just saw it was Bermuda and the British Caribbean Territories that made those requests, not Britain itself.

Why would Spain have to have a representative on the committee to "formally request" a name to be retired? I am sure someone in the official weather agency in Spain knows how to write a letter formally requesting the name be retired and send it to the World Meteorological Organization.

It's very rare for a Tropical Cyclone to cause severe damage to Spain or part of its islands.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#112 Postby NorthieStangl » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:33 pm

Tekken_Guy wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
Amanda killed 40 people in May 2021 and it's still on the list, so Julia's (in addition to Hermine's) chances are iffy at this point. Might be too early to call. I won't be surprised if Julia got thrown into the can along with Fiona and Ian, but I'm not expecting it.

Hermine, at the moment, has an even lower chance since Spain has no history of retiring any name - the only European countries, as far as I know, that had done so are France (Klaus 1990 is an infamous example) and the UK (Fabian 2003, Paloma 2008), even though the Netherlands is also on the hurricane committee due to the multiple dependencies in the Caribbean. Also don't forget the Lorenzo debate from 2019 after it affected the Azores and many people are so sure that Portugal would ask for its retirement, and that didn't happen.

Fiona - 100%
Hermine - 25%
Ian - 100%
Julia - 50%

Alright, since Julia's death toll had rose considerably lately with dozens more still missing, I'm going to raise Julia's retirement chance to 75%. What stopped me from giving it a 100% chance is the fact that most of the deaths occurred in Venezuela, and with the ongoong political turmoil there I slightly doubt that they will take time to send a retirement request. I'm also not aware of any instance of Nicaragua sending out any retirement request either. Otto, Eta, and Iota were all retired at Costa Rica's insistence, and I suspect Joan was retired on Colombia's behalf.

Julia will not be retired barring any surprises. The damage it did was almost all done as an unnamed tropical depression to a country that almost never retires names. Damage in Cenrral America was very minimal. Nate is not a good comparison since it did its damage mostly to Costa Rica.

Julia's damage in Central America wasn't "very minimal," I don't know what you had been drinking. Julia killed dozens of people there!
1 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#113 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:40 am

I thought you had to be part of the committee unless the removal was for political/cultural reasons.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#114 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:42 am

NorthieStangl wrote:
Tekken_Guy wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
Alright, since Julia's death toll had rose considerably lately with dozens more still missing, I'm going to raise Julia's retirement chance to 75%. What stopped me from giving it a 100% chance is the fact that most of the deaths occurred in Venezuela, and with the ongoong political turmoil there I slightly doubt that they will take time to send a retirement request. I'm also not aware of any instance of Nicaragua sending out any retirement request either. Otto, Eta, and Iota were all retired at Costa Rica's insistence, and I suspect Joan was retired on Colombia's behalf.

Julia will not be retired barring any surprises. The damage it did was almost all done as an unnamed tropical depression to a country that almost never retires names. Damage in Cenrral America was very minimal. Nate is not a good comparison since it did its damage mostly to Costa Rica.

Julia's damage in Central America wasn't "very minimal," I don't know what you had been drinking. Julia killed dozens of people there!

I personally don’t think Julia will be retired. If you remove the death toll in Venezuela, you’re left with about 37 across the region scattered between several countries. There’s been worse in the region that hasn’t been retired (see Bret 1993 or Francelia). As far as damage goes, the only confirmed figures are in Nicaragua which are at $300 million in 2022 dollars. While impressive there’s been worse there too adjusted for inflation.
1 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#115 Postby NorthieStangl » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:31 am

I know that it's super early to speculate, but I wonder if Roslyn will be the first retired Pacific name since Patricia. It had been 7 years so it's relatively overdue.
2 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#116 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:23 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:

I thought you had to be part of the committee unless the removal was for political/cultural reasons.

Why would they have such a rule? It doesn't make sense. IF a country which normally doesn't have a representative on the committee were to have major effects from a storm, and the name was prominently remembered by its population. wouldn't it actually be MORE worthy of retirement than a storm which hit a country which frequently sees tropical storm damage? And why couldn't such a country request representation on the committee? Surely that's not something that is itself unchangeable?
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:23 am

Ian & Fiona will be retired without question.

Nicole has a shot at retirement too.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#118 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Ian & Fiona will be retired without question.

Nicole has a shot at retirement too.

I think its chances are low. The only storm that had its peak at category 1 in Florida to be retired was Agnes, and that was not because of what it did there. Damage was probably less than any of the 2020 hurricanes in the eastern/central Gulf Coast (other than Laura).
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#119 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm

At this point I would say likelihood:

Alex - 0%
Bonnie - 0%
Colin - 0%
Danielle - 0%
Earl - 0%
Fiona - 95%
Gaston - 0%
Hermine - 5%
Ian - 100%
Julia - 55%
Karl - 0%
Lisa - 2%
Martin - 0%
Nicole - 15%
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:46 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:At this point I would say likelihood:

Alex - 0%
Bonnie - 0%
Colin - 0%
Danielle - 0%
Earl - 0%
Fiona - 95%
Gaston - 0%
Hermine - 5%
Ian - 100%
Julia - 55%
Karl - 0%
Lisa - 2%
Martin - 0%
Nicole - 15%

Just curious but why is Fiona not 100%? :lol:
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”