2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2022 Cyclones Retirement

#41 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:32 pm

Tekken_Guy wrote:Maybe we go with very international names. Ingmar is a Swedish male name famously born by director Ingmar Bergman. There’s Ivor, which is also Scandinavian, and the similar Ivar. Ilya is a Russian name. Ioannis is Greek. Imran is another Arab name.

Ivor is not just Scandinavian. Though it has a Scandinavian origin, it's been used in the British Isles for over a thousand years, since the Viking invasions. Though he's largely forgotten today, there was a Welsh actor and singer called Ivor Novello (1893-1951) who was one of the most popular entertainers in the UK in the first half of the 20th century. Though Ivor Novello was a stage name, his birth name was David Ivor Davies, so Ivor was one of his original given names.

Of course Ivor would make a good hurricane name whether one thinks of it as Scandinavian or British. :)
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Genuinely curious to see what other think, but considering there's a Nicole/Nicholas and a Paula/Paulette on the Atlantic naming lists (and a Danielle/Daniella on the Atlantic and aux EPAC list respectively), could the name Isabella be a viable replacement option in the future should a storm like Idalia, Imelda, or Imani get retired (as at least it's not a carbon copy of the name Isabel)?
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#43 Postby zhukm29 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Things would be so so much easier if we had a J curse instead, at least in terms of names. How many unique female and male names start with J? Compare that with I :lol:

J is actually the most common first initial :lol:

Makes me wonder why they picked Julian to be Joaquin's replacement when Julia was already on the list, when there are a ton of other recognizable J names (James, Jeff/Jeffrey, Jason, Jack, Joe, Jim, Jake/Jacob, Justin, Josh/Joshua, the list goes on and on...)

The M curse isn't that bad though, much better than ending up with an N or O curse. Imagine if I and J were flipped in the alphabet; we could have a J and M curse that perfectly aligns with the frequency of names. But alas, that isn't the case...

1 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#44 Postby Hurricane2022 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:36 pm

I really like the name Fatima to replace Fiona.
In addition to finding it a very easy name to pronounce, it's because it's also a popular name here in Brazil and my godmother is called Fatima :)
3 likes   
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.
Sorry for the bad English sometimes!!!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:I really like the name Fatima to replace Fiona.
In addition to finding it a very easy name to pronounce, it's because it's also a popular name here in Brazil and my godmother is called Fatima :)

I have some Turkish-American friends who are named Fatima too. It seems to have Middle Eastern roots but is a pretty popular name now. It's definitely one of my top personal choices for replacement too.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#46 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Genuinely curious to see what other think, but considering there's a Nicole/Nicholas and a Paula/Paulette on the Atlantic naming lists (and a Danielle/Daniella on the Atlantic and aux EPAC list respectively), could the name Isabella be a viable replacement option in the future should a storm like Idalia, Imelda, or Imani get retired (as at least it's not a carbon copy of the name Isabel)?

If it replaced Imani in 2027, it would fall on the same list, but 30 years would have passed since Isabel (as Isabella would be in 2033).
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#47 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:21 pm

Male I names NOT available:

Ignacio, Igor, Ike, Irwin, Isaac, Isaias, Isidore, Ismael, Ivan, Ivo, Izzy
3 likes   

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#48 Postby zhukm29 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:23 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Genuinely curious to see what other think, but considering there's a Nicole/Nicholas and a Paula/Paulette on the Atlantic naming lists (and a Danielle/Daniella on the Atlantic and aux EPAC list respectively), could the name Isabella be a viable replacement option in the future should a storm like Idalia, Imelda, or Imani get retired (as at least it's not a carbon copy of the name Isabel)?

If it replaced Imani in 2027, it would fall on the same list, but 30 years would have passed since Isabel (as Isabella would be in 2033).

I mean, Fred falls on the same list as Frederic, so it wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. There are quite a few names that sound very similar to each other on the lists that are probably closer to each other than Isabel and Isabella. Plus, we can't be too picky with our "I" names since they have a short shelf life anyway (except Isaac, which keeps on defying the odds while all the other "I" names are on at least their third generation) :lol:
2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:25 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Male I names NOT available:

Izzy?
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby underthwx » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 pm

What about Iggy?.....there was a singer in the 70s that went by the name Iggy Pop....that's all I got
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby underthwx » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:29 pm

AnnularCane wrote:

Izzy?

I think fron the movie "Rockstar"....I think he was the original lead singer of Steel Dragon in the movie?....
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:11 pm

AnnularCane wrote:

Izzy?

Izzy is on the EPAC auxiliary list.

Edit: Looks like Izzy is a gender-neutral name, I always thought it's female. Auxiliary lists don't strictly alternate between male and female names anyway.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 pm

Teban54 wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:

Izzy?

Izzy is on the EPAC auxiliary list.

Edit: Looks like Izzy is a gender-neutral name, I always thought it's female. Auxiliary lists don't strictly alternate between male and female names anyway.

Ah. I didn't check the auxiliary lists. :wink:

Izzy seems to be a popular nickname for the 'canes. Isidore and Isabel were both called that, and at least a few people used it for Isaias. Now it's on an auxiliary list.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 pm

underthwx wrote:

What about Iggy?.....there was a singer in the 70s that went by the name Iggy Pop....that's all I got

Iggy sounds more like a female name nowadays, partially thanks to Iggy Azalea.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#55 Postby Hurricane Mike » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:09 am

I actually didn't expect "Igor" to be retired in 2010. Had it not been, this would have been Hurricane Igor.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:26 am

I just saw on the news that Florida is estimating about $40 billion in damages from Ian.

Yeah it’s not coming back in 2028. Like there was any doubt.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:22 pm

If we are talking about using Isabella, we also should probably be talking about the possibility of replacing Ian with Isaiah. Isaiah is actually the most common "I" name being given to male babies in the USA right now after Isaac, which is already on the lists. The Spanish pronunciation of Isaias, which was mostly used when we've had storms with this name, is quite different than the English pronunciations of Isaiah, despite them differing only by the final letter in spelling. I would guess one of the main problems in putting Isaiah on the lists would be that the pronunciaiton of this name in the USA tends to differ from that in the UK -- the American pronunciation rhymes the middle syllable with "say" while the British one rhymes it with "sigh".
1 likes   

wwizard
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#58 Postby wwizard » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:35 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Tekken_Guy wrote:Maybe we go with very international names. Ingmar is a Swedish male name famously born by director Ingmar Bergman. There’s Ivor, which is also Scandinavian, and the similar Ivar. Ilya is a Russian name. Ioannis is Greek. Imran is another Arab name.

At this point it will be better to just remove I from the naming lists like Q/U/X/Y/Z. Seriously.

How about alternate I, Q, U, X, Y, Z every year? Take I off next year's list and add Q (Quenton, Quincy). The following year, still no I, or Q, but add U (Ursala, Uma). Have just 1 of those letters in each of the 6 lists.

I could still be a name likely be get a retirement party because it still comes up in the meat of the season, but it would only come up every 6 years. The others have a much lower chance of retirement being at the back end of the list, and still only come up once every 6 years. Sometimes probably not even making it that far down the list.
1 likes   
Alicia, Allison, Ike, Harvey

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby aspen » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Fiona’s retirement is almost certainly guaranteed by now. New damage toll estimates yield >$10 billion from PR and >$2 billion from Canada, making Fiona the costliest system to ever hit Canada.
7 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:33 pm

As far as likelihood of retirement in my opinion:

Ian - 100%
Fiona - 95% (either the US or Canada could do it)

All others - <2% (nothing else has really affected land at all)
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”