2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: 2022 Cyclones Retirement

#141 Postby NorthieStangl » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Based on the TCR and a lot of Julia's deaths being in Venezuela on the fringes, I'd knock back the probability some as they are likely not a country that would think much about it.

Still, once the WMO meets, we can be pretty confident that Fiona and Ian will be retired.

Any idea when that meeting will take place?

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica acts as an ambassador again and retire Julia on behalf of other Central American countries.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:39 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Based on the TCR and a lot of Julia's deaths being in Venezuela on the fringes, I'd knock back the probability some as they are likely not a country that would think much about it.

Still, once the WMO meets, we can be pretty confident that Fiona and Ian will be retired.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica acts as an ambassador again and retire Julia on behalf of other Central American countries.

It’s going to be during the last several days of March. Takes place in Costa Rica too

https://public.wmo.int/en/events/meetings
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#143 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:10 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

It’s going to be during the last several days of March. Takes place in Costa Rica too

Does this mean Julia is doomed? :(

Looks like it starts on my birthday.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#144 Postby JetFuel_SE » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:01 am

AnnularCane wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

The new name would probably be something similar to the name used before Julia (Jeanne)
I'm betting on Jeannette because they have no creativity what-so-ever, (Rina replacing Rita, Julian and Julia being on consecutive lists, and also Juliette in the EPAC)
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#145 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:18 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

The new name would probably be something similar to the name used before Julia (Jeanne)
I'm betting on Jeannette because they have no creativity what-so-ever, (Rina replacing Rita, Julian and Julia being on consecutive lists, and also Juliette in the EPAC)

It seems like a recurrent theme with replacement names is that they oftentimes reflect the preferences of the cultures of the regions impacted by the to-be-retired storm. Some recent examples that I can think of at the top of my head include Ida --> Imani, with Imani being a very common African-American female name (and the impacted region being Eastern Louisiana, which has a high population of African-Americans) and Maria --> Margot, with Margot being a French female name (reflective of Dominica, which was ravaged by Maria). In addition, it is also not uncommon to see replacement names have the same number of syllables as the to-be-replaced name.

Now as far as what you are saying, while Jeannette might indeed be possible, assuming Julia does somehow get banished, I'm more along the betting lines that the replacement name could be Jennifer or Jessica (3 syllables like Julia, also common as first names in Latina America, including Central America where Julia impacted).

Hurricane name guessing is always fun. There's no denying that :lol:
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

HurakaYoshi
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#146 Postby HurakaYoshi » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:50 pm

With the WMO RA IV Hurricane Committee meeting starting this coming Monday, I'm confident that Fiona and Ian will be retired (NATL). I'm not sure about Julia, but I'm more leant towards not. Plus, I don't expect any retirements in the EPAC.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm

HurakaYoshi wrote:With the WMO RA IV Hurricane Committee meeting starting this coming Monday, I'm confident that Fiona and Ian will be retired (NATL). I'm not sure about Julia, but I'm more leant towards not. Plus, I don't expect any retirements in the EPAC.

Fiona's total damage has (at least according to Wikipedia) been updated to be more than 6 billion US dollars, so any doubts about it not getting retired because it did not impact any region at Cat 4 strength (which is a really weak reason anyway given the impacts it brought to Canada and Puerto Rico, but also a reason I have heard a handful of people on social media say) should be erased.
0 likes   

HurakaYoshi
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#148 Postby HurakaYoshi » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:16 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
HurakaYoshi wrote:With the WMO RA IV Hurricane Committee meeting starting this coming Monday, I'm confident that Fiona and Ian will be retired (NATL). I'm not sure about Julia, but I'm more leant towards not. Plus, I don't expect any retirements in the EPAC.

Fiona's total damage has (at least according to Wikipedia) been updated to be more than 6 billion US dollars, so any doubts about it not getting retired because it did not impact any region at Cat 4 strength (which is a really weak reason anyway given the impacts it brought to Canada and Puerto Rico, but also a reason I have heard a handful of people on social media say) should be erased.

Fiona was also among the wettest cyclones in Guadalupe, so that justifies retirement as well.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 am

1 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#150 Postby JetFuel_SE » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:08 pm

So Fiona is almost certainly gone.
 https://twitter.com/ECCC_CHC/status/1640432299253592070

1 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#151 Postby Torino » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:04 pm

My guess is Felicity to replace Fiona and Ivor to replace Ian. Julia stays.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:16 pm

As always, I’ll be picking my three names for each potential replacement before the official decisions are stated on Wednesday.

Fiona == Faith, Francesca, or Fatima

Ian == Irving, Idris, or Ingmar

(I’m going to go on a limb here and predict that the WMO will not pick a 4 syllable name for any replacement names)
3 likes   

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

#153 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:57 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

Another key with Fiona is the overwhelming majority of her most destructive damage(surge, waves) that wiped out entire communities isn't actually tallied in the totals in Canada, they only count insured damages and those damages aren't covered.

The actual damage totals are significantly higher.
4 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#154 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:47 pm

PavelGaborik10 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Another key with Fiona is the overwhelming majority of her most destructive damage(surge, waves) that wiped out entire communities isn't actually tallied in the totals in Canada, they only count insured damages and those damages aren't covered.

The actual damage totals are significantly higher.

I think the real damage from Fiona in Canada was probably $2 billion or more.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#155 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:17 am

Did they ever give a time?

(I'm jumping out of my skin. lol)
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 am

AnnularCane wrote:

Did they ever give a time?

(I'm jumping out of my skin. lol)

It should be within the next several hours. At least based on the 43rd and 44th meetings, the WMO likes to send out a Tweet saying they are discussing names, and then a subsequent Tweet with their final decisions.
1 likes   

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby Buck » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:03 pm

3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#158 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:03 pm

Fiona and Ian retired Farrah and Idris will be the replacement names for 2028.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona/ Ian retired

#159 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:18 pm

Wow, I really like the new names. Kind of figured Idris could replace Ian. But Farrah too? I like the Middle Eastern-roots flavor here!
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Tropical Cyclone Retirements: Fiona / Ian retired--New names for 2028 list=Farrah / Idris

#160 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:30 pm

I thought that Julia was also going to be retired as it caused 35 deaths in CentralAmerica per TCR report.

Julia was responsible for 35 direct deaths, 4 across portions of Central America, and all of
the fatalities appear to be related to flash flooding and associated mudslides. The fatality
breakdown consists of 14 in Guatemala, 10 in El Salvador, 5 in Nicaragua, 4 in Honduras, and 2
in Panama. In addition, there were 54 indirect flood fatalities in Venezuela.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”