How many named storms will form in November?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:43 am

- 1 storm
42%
- 2 storms
15%
- 3 storms
12%
- more than 3 (surpassing record)
3%
- none will form
27%

Total votes: 33

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#1 Postby Ryxn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:54 pm

Now that it's almost mid-October, I think it's fair to start talking about the coming month.

I will go with 2 with one being a major hurricane and the other only a tropical storm. I also think there will be 4 more in October (2 in the Caribbean/GOM and 2 in subtropics, 2 of them hurricanes, one major) and I think December will have 1 (tropical storm) with a season total of 18 named storms with 8 hurricanes and 4 major hurricanes and an ACE of ~129 along the lines of 2018 and 2019 but definitely not the 2017 or 2020 some of us (including myself) were anticipating.

*Also I don't know how to create a poll so yeah, the options are

- 1 storm
- 2 storms
- 3 storms
- more than 3 (surpassing record)
- none will form

Let's discuss!
Last edited by Ryxn on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many named storms will form in November?

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:04 pm

I think 2. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just 1, but I just have a feeling that due to how delayed (not denied) this season seems compared to other recent seasons, we could see a decently active November
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:23 pm

I think we'll get one TS in November, probably in the first half of the month
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby FireRat » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:25 am

wild take... November brings 4 NS, including one monster Cat 4/5, which is actually the last one of the month, happening in Late November as opposed to the first half of the month which is usually the busier half.

Perhaps the 2001 comparison, or 2020 comparison from much earlier, materializes and we get 3 Nov storms and one (or even 2) major like those backloaded years, plus 1 more just to make 2022 even more memorable.

Depending on how busy October gets, we may have a shot at getting up to 19 NS.
2 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:45 am

FireRat wrote:wild take... November brings 4 NS, including one monster Cat 4/5, which is actually the last one of the month, happening in Late November as opposed to the first half of the month which is usually the busier half.

Perhaps the 2001 comparison, or 2020 comparison from much earlier, materializes and we get 3 Nov storms and one (or even 2) major like those backloaded years, plus 1 more just to make 2022 even more memorable.

I like the way you think! Aha I'm changing mine to 4 with my intial two late October storms actually forming in early November and then a major hurricane punch around November 20 with another hurricane around the same time. Idk I think we may be in for a record November. I think October gets 3 more storms and December gets nothing, maintaining my 18 storm total.

May: 0 storms
June: 1 storm
July: 2 storms
August: 0 storms
September: 6 storms
October: 5 storms (2 around Oct 19, 1 around Oct 26)
November: 4 storms (2 at within first 2 weeks, 1 around Nov 19, 1 around Nov 29)
December: 0 storms (Nov 29 storm persists into Dec)

I'd rather lose due to being a longshit than to win being sane and safe aha but we'll see which one it is.
2 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:47 am

Ryxn wrote:
FireRat wrote:wild take... November brings 4 NS, including one monster Cat 4/5, which is actually the last one of the month, happening in Late November as opposed to the first half of the month which is usually the busier half.

I like the way you think! Aha I'm changing mine to 4 with my intial two late October storms actually forming in early November and then a major hurricane punch around November 20 with another hurricane around the same time. Idk I think we may be in for a record November. I think October gets 3 more storms and December gets nothing, maintaining my 18 storm total.

November: 4 storms (2 at within first 2 weeks, 1 around Nov 19, 1 around Nov 29)

I'd rather lose due to being a longshot than to win being sane and safe aha but we'll see which one it is.
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby FireRat » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:03 am

Ryxn wrote:

I'd rather lose due to being a longshit than to win being sane and safe aha but we'll see which one it is.

Hahaha thanks! Yea I think Nov will definitely be an interesting month and would be very 2022 if we got mayhem at the tail end of the season, so going all in with the 4 lol!

Perhaps October goes into spam mode mid to late month, and then we enter Nov with the 2 systems you predict, then get Shary around Nov 15-20 and get the whopper right after between Nov 15 and Nov 25. In my version, the beast gets named Tobias and is the last one, and of course 2022 saves the biggest one for last :lol: ... like 2020 did.

Tobias becomes a C5, and takes a wacky track like Lenny '99 or Kate '85, or heck even 1950's King. Totally taking things to the extreme for this last month's prediction!

Even though the month realistically probably won't be this dramatic, it may still end up being above average.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:45 am

Made the poll that will be open for voting until October 31rst at 4:43 AM EDT.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:49 am

I think a baroclinically induced storm out in the Atlantic isn’t out of the question.
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby underthwx » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:07 am

I went with 2.....1 is a lonely number...
0 likes   

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby Old-TimeCane » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:02 am

underthwx wrote:I went with 2.....1 is a lonely number...

I'm going lonely. Just one, and probably only a TS.

Ryxn wrote:I'd rather lose due to being a longshit than to win being sane and safe aha but we'll see which one it is.

I'm sure you meant longshot, but thanks for the laugh! I don't ever remember laughing this hard at 4 in the morning! :roflmao:
1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:51 pm

0. I honestly believe we are done for the season. I don't normally hop on the season is over train until the end of November but just have a feeling we don't see anymore named storms

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
2 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:01 pm

HurricaneEnzo wrote:0. I honestly believe we are done for the season. I don't normally hop on the season is over train until the end of November but just have a feeling we don't see anymore named storms

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just curious to ask but is there a specific reason why you believe that? I'm just curious as I'm interested to understand if there is anything in particular that you are seeing in terms of why you don't think a storm like a Sebastian 2019 or an Otto 2016 cannot happen at the very least?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:06 am

Welp, at least we now know that the answer will not be zero :lol:
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby FireRat » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Welp, at least we now know that the answer will not be zero :lol:

Dang, November is having quite the start huh.
If Lisa had delayed just 1 more day, we'd be at 2NS for Nov already... on the 1st :lol:
0 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby Ryxn » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:27 pm

Ryxn wrote:

I mean I was way pretty off with October especial in terms of intensity but my November prediction of 4 may pan out. If Lisa formed on November 1, I'd say 4 storms would have been LIKELY. Crazy year...
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:30 pm

We have 97L that looks like it is a TS already, and future 98L that looks like it wants to scare Florida.

Very abnormal November. Not to mention, who would have thought that we would end up seeing potentially 3 NSs in November? And possibly more?
0 likes   

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby Landy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Guess my choice of 1 storm will probably age like milk. This season :lol: :lol: :lol: unpredictable.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”