2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#21 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
zzzh wrote:https://i.imgur.com/Aa4vFxX.png
https://i.imgur.com/W4XNdyY.png
https://i.imgur.com/70m5sdk.png
Despite showing a full blown Nino, the CFS forecast La Nina upper air pattern over the Atlantic in ASO.

Modoki El Nino?

Oh boy, let’s hope not. If we learned anything from 2004, it’s that a Modoki El Niño could be just as favorable if not more favorable than some of the La Niña years we have had :lol:
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#22 Postby zzzh » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:36 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Despite showing a full blown Nino, the CFS forecast La Nina upper air pattern over the Atlantic in ASO.

Modoki El Nino?

Traditional Nino
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:17 pm

zzzh wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Modoki El Nino?

https://i.imgur.com/E1yUgGC.png
Traditional Nino

There seems to be a traditional El Nino in place, but if you look at the Atlantic, it also seems pretty warm too. That could be the reason why it shows favorable shear perhaps?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:10 pm

So Yellow Evan shared this very intriguing statistic in the ENSO thread, and I figured it *might* be pertinent for this thread too:

"True Modokis are pretty rare with a cold tongue off South America. Only 1984, 2004, and 2019 really qualify. As for 1992, it technically happened in a cool neutral but the atmosphere that year was what you’d expect for an El Niño. 1935 was warm neutral. 1919 also had a 130 knot USA landfall and was El Niño. So did 1900."

The point here is, warm neutral and El Nino years do tend to suppress overall activity, but interestingly, some of the most infamous US landfalling storms have actually happened in warm neutral/El Nino years. And especially with Africa being wetter than normal in recent times and the sst profile looking pretty healthy with a warm Canary Current already, I can't say that I feel confident in discounting the possibility of one or two bad storms this year, even if 2023 ends up as an El Nino year and sees below average ACE and that sort of thing.
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby NDG » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:28 pm

La Nina is still lagging behind.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am

Only 100 days left for the 2023 season to begin. The main driver to have an active season or not will be how ENSO will be by the summer and fall. Four names are new that replace Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:55 am

At this point, my guess is that this season will be near to slightly below average in total ACE (especially if we get a warm neutral or El Nino state). However, I also think that this season could still bring 1-2 notable landfalling major hurricane(s), with the CONUS being my preliminary guess regarding where such might happen. It feels like ever since the Super Nino of 2015, something changed in the Atlantic basin that heightened the frequencies of these kinds of systems, and unless something dramatically changes, I believe 2023 may still bring big impacts even if it is a tame season by the numbers.
1 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#28 Postby zzzh » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:45 pm

Extension of the Tropical Weather Outlook and Graphical Tropical
Weather Outlook Issued by the National Hurricane Center and the
Central Pacific Hurricane Center Out to 7 Days on or around
May 15, 2023

https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf_2023_24/scn23-28_extension_of_two_gtwo_7_days.pdf

https://twitter.com/MassachusettsWx/status/1628853877142433795

5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby SFLcane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:48 pm

Can you say.......Lag? :double:

3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:00 pm

You should check the trimonthly shear anomalies and the monthly/trimonthly precipitation anomalies too on that same model. It interestingly predicts that the deep tropics and Caribbean will be hostile for activity, but areas north of that (especially Florida and the subtropics) seem more favorable for potential cyclone activity.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby SFLcane » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:23 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

You should check the trimonthly shear anomalies and the monthly/trimonthly precipitation anomalies too on that same model. It interestingly predicts that the deep tropics and Caribbean will be hostile for activity, but areas north of that (especially Florida and the subtropics) seem more favorable for potential cyclone activity.

We'll see how strong +ENSO gets this year. That's probably the biggest question mark at this point.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#32 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:46 pm

That is interesting but as you said, ENSO will be the key.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#33 Postby Foxfires » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 pm

cycloneye wrote:Only 100 days left for the 2023 season to begin. The main driver to have an active season or not will be how ENSO will be by the summer and fall. Four names are new that replace Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate.

https://i.imgur.com/4FoJ54W.jpg

Not really related to the thread topic but I like how this is about Atlantic Hurricane names but the background seems to be Typhoon Maysak 2015.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#34 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:42 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Looking like an El Nino is coming for summer/fall. Numbers could be similar to last year, meaning below the 30-yr average. Fine with me. A season like 1914 would be great. I'd say 1983, but Houston/Galveston was hit by the only major hurricane that year. When you take a look back, many major impacts have occurred during El Nino seasons.

I very much appreciate your insight into this wxman57! However, I was under the impression that ENSO state, especially this far out in advance and before the Spring Predictability Barrier, still has great uncertainties, right? Like how are we sure at this point in time that the expected warmup will indeed cross the +0.5 C trimonthly for Nino 3,4 rather than warming up to, say, something like +0.3 C and falling shy of Nino thresholds (as a warm neutral state instead)?

Let's see how the ECMWF did last February/March. Here is the ECMWF ensembles plot from last March (red lines). Actual is the blue dotted line. Just about a perfect forecast, I'd say. What spring predictability barrier?

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#35 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:50 am

wxman57 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Looking like an El Nino is coming for summer/fall. Numbers could be similar to last year, meaning below the 30-yr average. Fine with me. A season like 1914 would be great. I'd say 1983, but Houston/Galveston was hit by the only major hurricane that year. When you take a look back, many major impacts have occurred during El Nino seasons.

I very much appreciate your insight into this wxman57! However, I was under the impression that ENSO state, especially this far out in advance and before the Spring Predictability Barrier, still has great uncertainties, right? Like how are we sure at this point in time that the expected warmup will indeed cross the +0.5 C trimonthly for Nino 3,4 rather than warming up to, say, something like +0.3 C and falling shy of Nino thresholds (as a warm neutral state instead)?

Let's see how the ECMWF did last February/March. Here is the ECMWF ensembles plot from last March (red lines). Actual is the blue dotted line. Just about a perfect forecast, I'd say. What spring predictability barrier?

http://wxman57.com/images/Nino34.png

Repost the image as it didn't appear.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#36 Postby tolakram » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:23 am

cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Repost the image as it didn't appear.

Right click and open in a new tab or set your browser to allow unsecure image display. It's an HTML and SSL thing. I copied to imgur because it's worth looking at :D Perfect forecast.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby SFLcane » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am

wxman57 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Big difference from last year is we're actually gonna get a WWB.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#38 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:33 am

CFSv2 and CanSIPS have the Caribbean dry for ASO.

3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:05 am

cycloneye wrote:CFSv2 and CanSIPS have the Caribbean dry for ASO.

https://i.imgur.com/CEohKb0.png

https://i.imgur.com/Assij4M.png

As expected, especially if this year were to be a +ENSO (possibly El Nino) year. Deep tropics look dry too (but again, unless it was a year like 2017 or 2021, that doesn't seem all that abnormal considering many recent years seem to have struggled with copious/robust deep tropical activity).

Now on the other hand, the subtropics and Florida look rather intriguing (especially on the CFS).
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:41 pm

The March ECMWF seasonal is out (and it goes through JAS). It does show El Nino conditions, but basin-wide warmth in the Atlantic. This seems to be a trend in the climate models, if it verifies the basin-wide warmth could cancel out some of the El Nino effects. It shows above-normal pressures in the tropical Atlantic and below-normal precipitation, but nothing that would go as far to say "season cancel." Through the end of September, the ECMWF calls for 90% of normal ACE in the Atlantic, with 10.7 tropical storms and 5.1 hurricanes. In the past, this model significantly underestimated Atlantic activity, but it seems the bias may have been over-corrected, as last year it was way too high with Atlantic activity.

Nino 3.4 plume

SST anomaly

Precipitation anomaly

MSLP anomaly tercile

Atlantic ACE (90% of normal through September - sounds about right since El Nino seasons often end earlier).

Tropical storms (10.7 through the end of September)

Hurricanes (5.1 through the end of September)
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”