2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#341 Postby Ntxw » Mon May 08, 2023 1:32 pm

I do want to bring up that anomalies is not SSTs. SSTa is how much above/near/below from the current averages. It's not all that warm in Spring compared to late summer and Fall where it is always more than warm enough for cat 5s all over the MDR in whatever ENSO year. Also warmer than normal now doesn't equate to warmer than normal later as rate of warming is not equal vice versa with cool anomalies.

In truth all of the global Oceans are warming at a decent pace, so it's not charted territories how things interact with each other compared to the past.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#342 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 08, 2023 4:41 pm

Very interesting from Levi about intraseasonal forcing.

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1655688164001091585

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#343 Postby Teban54 » Mon May 08, 2023 5:16 pm

cycloneye wrote:Very interesting from Levi about intraseasonal forcing.

Amateur opinion, but I'm starting to wonder if this season's activity patterns may bear lots of resemblance to 2021 when all is said and done. Despite drastic differences in ENSO, possible similarities include:

* Heavy dependence on MJO
* Generally east-based season with MDR recurve storms (Larry, Sam) during peak season
* Early shutdown with little to no activity in October

An intense Gulf storm like Ida may be less likely in an El Nino, but then 1969, which has been mentioned as an analog fairly often, did feature Camille.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#344 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon May 08, 2023 5:44 pm

Teban54 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Very interesting from Levi about intraseasonal forcing.

Amateur opinion, but I'm starting to wonder if this season's activity patterns may bear lots of resemblance to 2021 when all is said and done. Despite drastic differences in ENSO, possible similarities include:

* Heavy dependence on MJO
* Generally east-based season with MDR recurve storms (Larry, Sam) during peak season
* Early shutdown with little to no activity in October

An intense Gulf storm like Ida may be less likely in an El Nino, but then 1969, which has been mentioned as an analog fairly often, did feature Camille.

I'm honestly a bit more wary of an East Coast slammer than I am with a Gulf slammer during this kind of year. I think if the activity is shifted north of the Caribbean this year, while yes we will likely see recurving fish storms, if the right atmospheric steering currents fall in place at the right time (so basically, assuming ridging isn't too strong and troughing isn't too strong), that kind of storm could take a path from the MDR and threaten the SW Atlantic (the Bahamas, Eastern Florida, or the GA-NC region).

In fact, based on many of these precip plots I'm seeing, it seems like that could be a somewhat favored storm path during the August/September timeframe. We'll see; we're definitely in a heightened period of major hurricane impacts in the Atlantic (has been like this since at least 2016).
6 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#345 Postby Iceresistance » Tue May 09, 2023 9:06 am

2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

AlanSnyder35
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#346 Postby AlanSnyder35 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:27 am

TONSS of Rising Air in the EPAC. BUT there is A LOT of Rising air over Africa and MUCH of the Atlantic really.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#347 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue May 09, 2023 9:36 am

In many of the El Nino years we talk about like 2002 and 2009, I believe there was rising in the Pacific but sinking over Africa.

This is basically what you get if you have a strong WAM and wet Sahel. I'm telling ya, that really might make a difference in activity levels. Sst anomalies aren't really the only factor that we should consider.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#348 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue May 09, 2023 9:45 am

Classic signal for an African Standing Wave there. Status quo for the current regime we've been experiencing over the past 6 or 7 years or so, and likely a sign that the WAM should be a significant driver yet again this season, especially in the face of unfavorable ENSO.
3 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#349 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 pm

https://twitter.com/dmorris9661/status/1655695517970571268

Danny Morris seems to have a pretty interesting take on the question of "what do you think would be the absolute cap for this season's potential?"
2 likes   

Kingsunited33
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#350 Postby Kingsunited33 » Tue May 09, 2023 5:31 pm

NotSparta wrote:
AlanSnyder35 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
What is "natural warming"?

Does it not warm A LITTLE from the Sun Angle as we head farther into Summer ? do believe that is a thing. Obviously somebody an correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Well yeah, that's been going on since March. But we're talking about sea surface temperature anomalies, so this climatological warming isn't relevant

I would disagree there. Since 2015 the MDR has warmed up by at least +0.2C up into peak season I don't think this year will be different yet. I would consider that a partial consequence of natural warming and we're emerging out of spring where evaporation and typical patterns that promote significant cooling become less likely the deeper into the season we get. We've never seen a setup quite like this so we have to be careful trying to figure out how this season will progress.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#351 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 09, 2023 5:43 pm

It will be a interesting battle between the effects of El Niño and the African standard wave.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#352 Postby Iceresistance » Tue May 09, 2023 6:07 pm

cycloneye wrote:

It will be a interesting battle between the effects of El Niño and the African standard wave.

Oh yes, this may be the one of the most legendary battles we have seen. It's the crazy ASW vs El Nino.

2023 may become a season unlike any other.
4 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#353 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue May 09, 2023 6:23 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Oh yes, this may be the one of the most legendary battles we have seen. It's the crazy ASW vs El Nino.

2023 may become a season unlike any other.

It’s something I see already happening a bit on social media, but this is precisely why I personally think that those already bust-casting (and I mean already calling for dead season, 6/2/0, etc) due to the impending El Niño might really be missing some crucial factors that, while quite unusual for regular El Niño years, could play a role in this season and actually prove that it’s more than just the ENSO phase that determines exactly how active the Atlantic becomes.
6 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#354 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue May 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Kingsunited33 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
AlanSnyder35 wrote:
Does it not warm A LITTLE from the Sun Angle as we head farther into Summer ? do believe that is a thing. Obviously somebody an correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Well yeah, that's been going on since March. But we're talking about sea surface temperature anomalies, so this climatological warming isn't relevant

I would disagree there. Since 2015 the MDR has warmed up by at least +0.2C up into peak season I don't think this year will be different yet. I would consider that a partial consequence of natural warming and we're emerging out of spring where evaporation and typical patterns that promote significant cooling become less likely the deeper into the season we get. We've never seen a setup quite like this so we have to be careful trying to figure out how this season will progress.

The faster MDR warmups we have seen in recent summers is due to the onset of the (unusually strong) WAMs weakening trades. Not due to increased sun angle which is ~constant every year.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#355 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am

Welp...
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#356 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Euro has two WWBs across the Atlantic MDR over the next 2 weeks.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AlanSnyder35
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#357 Postby AlanSnyder35 » Wed May 10, 2023 4:47 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Euro has two WWBs across the Atlantic MDR over the next 2 weeks.

If That is the case we could get even higher than our first SST peak of the year in Late April, Early May. That is interesting to see if it pans out.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#358 Postby AnnularCane » Wed May 10, 2023 6:12 pm

Less than a week till the TWOs.
2 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#359 Postby Blown Away » Thu May 11, 2023 6:38 am

AnnularCane wrote:Less than a week till the TWOs.

I'm ready to see those 7 day shaded areas on interests... 8-)
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#360 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu May 11, 2023 11:08 am

Welp..looks like the Atlantic season has already started (if you know what I'm saying) :lol:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”