2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#361 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu May 11, 2023 11:24 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:https://i.imgur.com/0bxqS6n.png

Welp...

All those cool anomalies north of 30N would argue for high pressure being parked in that area. Unless storms curve out very quickly, they could make their way west, and just north of the MDR shear wont be as bad.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#362 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu May 11, 2023 11:33 am

Another thing I have been looking at is the cold anomalies off the California coast that jut out to south of Hawaii. That might keep the central Nino region cooler that the eastern most region. What would be the effect of a very eastward centered El Nino?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#363 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 11, 2023 11:41 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Another thing I have been looking at is the cold anomalies off the California coast that jut out to south of Hawaii. That might keep the central Nino region cooler that the eastern most region. What would be the effect of a very eastward centered El Nino?

In a nutshell, eastern based El Nino is the classic form that we all think of when we coin the term with its effects. The further west the warming the more 'modoki' configuration which tends to be more favorable for other basins.

There are other nuances that matter but ENSO events can change from season to season even within a singular event.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#364 Postby NDG » Thu May 11, 2023 2:37 pm

I'm surprised 1987 is not been looked at as an analog year.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#365 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu May 11, 2023 3:09 pm

NDG wrote:I'm surprised 1987 is not been looked at as an analog year.

1987 is a bad analog because the year already started off with moderate El Nino conditions (a continuation of the prior year, 1986, when the Nino first developed). The Atlantic was also much colder than it is now, and Africa was much drier.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#366 Postby JetFuel_SE » Thu May 11, 2023 3:14 pm

I'm not. That was a 2nd-year El Niño, this year isn't.
2 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#367 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Thu May 11, 2023 4:39 pm

0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#369 Postby NotSparta » Thu May 11, 2023 6:32 pm

Big -PMM from the El Nino means the big precip anomalies are focused near the equator rather than further north like in 2020. It looks wetter than 2020 just in a different spot
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#370 Postby SFLcane » Thu May 11, 2023 6:50 pm

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#371 Postby SFLcane » Thu May 11, 2023 7:22 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#372 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 11, 2023 8:03 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Still think the Niño will ultimately win out in the end but there is a decent chance that the basin could still put up respectable numbers (or at least more respectable than what we typically see during these events). I've said this before but the eastern and central MDR have the potential to be relatively hospitable if TWs can get going early on (especially if aided by well-timed CCKW/MJO passage). 55W and beyond should be where storms will start encountering problems with shear the further W they track, and the Caribbean should be off-limits as is typical with El Niños, but I guess that goes without saying.

Agree completely, if this nino were going super we could probably expect a standing wave over the Epac that just nukes the Atlantic but with a lesser amplitude and this prolific Atlantic warmth, intraseasonal forcing should be able to make its way through providing windows of development. 3-4 majors is definitely possible. NOAA forecast should be soon.

The official date that they will release is going to be on May 25th.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#374 Postby SFLcane » Fri May 12, 2023 9:12 am

There will be a window for development across the tropical Atlantic come August as shear lowers quite a bit.

3 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#375 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 12, 2023 10:03 am

SFLcane wrote:There will be a window for development across the tropical Atlantic come August as shear lowers quite a bit.

https://i.postimg.cc/yN9CpRVM/cfs.gif

Thanks for posting. Do you or does anyone else know how accurate the CFSv2 is regarding predicting shear anomalies 3 months out? Based on my recall, models in general often have major trouble predicting shear just a few days out, much less 3 months.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#376 Postby SFLcane » Fri May 12, 2023 10:42 am

LarryWx wrote:
SFLcane wrote:There will be a window for development across the tropical Atlantic come August as shear lowers quite a bit.

https://i.postimg.cc/yN9CpRVM/cfs.gif

Thanks for posting. Do you or does anyone else know how accurate the CFSv2 is regarding predicting shear anomalies 3 months out? Based on my recall, models in general often have major trouble predicting shear just a few days out, much less 3 months.

Not particularly beyond 1-2 months but i found it interesting.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#377 Postby NDG » Fri May 12, 2023 2:59 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

1987 is a bad analog because the year already started off with moderate El Nino conditions (a continuation of the prior year, 1986, when the Nino first developed). The Atlantic was also much colder than it is now, and Africa was much drier.

I do see some similarities in that during the beginning of the hurricane season SSTs between Baja MX and Hawaii along and just south of the 20th latitude were below average similar to this year with the EPAC season not really getting started until late July because of that, and the Atlantic MDR was near average to above average with a +AMO.
Despite a moderate El Nino the Atlantic's only MH was in the Caribbean and not in the subtropical Atlantic, which is the point I am trying to make that I do think this season if current Atlantic conditions continue it can easily out perform 1987 which was still during the less active Atlantic period.
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#378 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 13, 2023 6:24 pm

So, about those MDR westerlies.... :D
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#379 Postby Iceresistance » Sat May 13, 2023 10:03 pm

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#380 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 16, 2023 9:26 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”