2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#321 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 06, 2023 7:58 am

I feel decently sure that in the end, this year is going to be used as a reference year for future Storm2k discussions in future Atlantic hurricane seasons.

For instance:

"2027 is going to be an El Nino year! Expect it to be dead and inactive!"

"No no, you can't say that for sure! Remember what happened in 2023?"

:wink:
6 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#322 Postby LarryWx » Sat May 06, 2023 10:34 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I feel decently sure that in the end, this year is going to be used as a reference year for future Storm2k discussions in future Atlantic hurricane seasons.

For instance:

Another realistic possibility:

"2027 is going to have a 2023 strength El Niño (strong) and the Atlantic AMO is as of now as warm as the record warm 2023. Whereas folks had a hard time figuring out 2023 due to the same two conflicting signals, the strong El Niño in 2023 ended up the dominating factor after all with a rather inactive season. So, the best guess is for 2027 to be another typical rather inactive strong El Niño season."
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#323 Postby JetFuel_SE » Sat May 06, 2023 11:15 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I feel decently sure that in the end, this year is going to be used as a reference year for future Storm2k discussions in future Atlantic hurricane seasons.

For instance:

I'm already using 1969 for just that stuff.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 06, 2023 11:23 am

LarryWx wrote:

For instance:

Another realistic possibility:

"2027 is going to have a 2023 strength El Niño (strong) and the Atlantic AMO is as of now as warm as the record warm 2023. Whereas folks had a hard time figuring out 2023 due to the same two conflicting signals, the strong El Niño in 2023 ended up the dominating factor after all with a rather inactive season. So, the best guess is for 2027 to be another typical rather inactive strong El Niño season."

The Legendary 2023 Battle Between the Pacific and Atlantic:

Pacific
Weapons: Moderate to Strong, east-based El Nino

Weaknesses: Negative PDO

Atlantic
Weapons: 2005/2020-level warm AMO (Canary Current and deep tropics), wet Sahel and strong WAM

Weaknesses: Moderate to Strong, east-based El Nino

Gonna be an interesting battle for sure!
11 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#325 Postby dexterlabio » Sun May 07, 2023 2:00 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:

Pacific
Weapons: Moderate to Strong, east-based El Nino

Weaknesses: Negative PDO

1972 says hi :lol:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#326 Postby zzzh » Sun May 07, 2023 11:51 am

3 likes   

AlanSnyder35
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#327 Postby AlanSnyder35 » Sun May 07, 2023 11:59 am

Models seems to be uptrending despite this nino coming on. Be interesting to see how it pans out.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#328 Postby tolakram » Sun May 07, 2023 12:14 pm

Maybe during this season we can look at some of these longer range models and say ... yea, these are pretty much indistinguishable from random? :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#329 Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2023 12:32 pm

Wild early May look to the SSTA’s as everyone has been saying. Strong El Niño coming on with a near perfect looking Atlantic with the warm over cold over warm. But it’s still early May and impossible to know what the Atlantic is going to look like in August and September. I’m not ready to walk out on any limbs, but it kind of seems like we will see a lot of fish storms this year. There could still be a couple impacts on the US if like Kaiju said , 1965 or 1969 go in the mix.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#330 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 07, 2023 2:42 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#331 Postby Beef Stew » Sun May 07, 2023 4:05 pm

As others have said, the contrast between the +AMO and an impending (and possibly quite strong) El Niño do set up an interesting look in the Atlantic for this season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a busy early season, followed by a 2021 esq shut down come late September. Overall, I’m leaning towards a fairly average season as far as the TS/H/MH count goes- but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it over-perform in terms of ACE, given that the configuration could support a Sam-type system (or multiple) in the open Atlantic. I’ll be very curious to read NOAA’s upcoming forecast.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#332 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 08, 2023 7:45 am

cycloneye wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:Still think the Niño will ultimately win out in the end but there is a decent chance that the basin could still put up respectable numbers (or at least more respectable than what we typically see during these events). I've said this before but the eastern and central MDR have the potential to be relatively hospitable if TWs can get going early on (especially if aided by well-timed CCKW/MJO passage). 55W and beyond should be where storms will start encountering problems with shear the further W they track, and the Caribbean should be off-limits as is typical with El Niños, but I guess that goes without saying.

Agree completely, if this nino were going super we could probably expect a standing wave over the Epac that just nukes the Atlantic but with a lesser amplitude and this prolific Atlantic warmth, intraseasonal forcing should be able to make its way through providing windows of development. 3-4 majors is definitely possible. NOAA forecast should be soon.

May 11.

On May 11, comes the monthly update from CPC of ENSO. They always release it between weeks 2 -3 of May on Thursdays. It looks like this year, the date will be May 18th. NOAA will have a heads up a few days before the release.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon May 08, 2023 8:01 am

So I've been especially noticing people talking about it on social media recently, but some are strongly claiming that this year is going to be a "fish storm" year and how El Ninos are exclusively "recurve" years. But are we necessarily sure about that applying to this year too?

There are many examples that I can find with La Ninas featuring strong fish storms (1995, 1999, 2000, 2010, 2011, and 2021 for instance). On the other hand, we have storms like the 1899 hurricane, 1951's Charlie, 1963's Flora, and 1965's Betsy that ended up hitting land at major strength even during an El Nino. Now granted, I see the examples of 2009's Bill and 2014's Gonzalo being discussed, but interestingly, 2009-2014 seemed to feature many recurves in general, El Nino or La Nina.

Just something I felt would be intriguing to point out.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#334 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 08, 2023 9:27 am

1 likes   

AlanSnyder35
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#335 Postby AlanSnyder35 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:32 am

It will warm again here starting tomorrow. westerlies are forecast for nearly the next 10 days. Plus Natural warming will start as well soon.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#336 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am

AlanSnyder35 wrote:

It will warm again here starting tomorrow. westerlies are forecast for nearly the next 10 days. Plus Natural warming will start as well soon.

What is "natural warming"?
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

AlanSnyder35
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#337 Postby AlanSnyder35 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:38 am

NotSparta wrote:
AlanSnyder35 wrote:

Does it not warm A LITTLE from the Sun Angle as we head farther into Summer ? do believe that is a thing. Obviously somebody an correct me if i'm wrong on this.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#338 Postby Iceresistance » Mon May 08, 2023 9:42 am

AlanSnyder35 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
AlanSnyder35 wrote:

Does it not warm A LITTLE from the Sun Angle as we head farther into Summer ? do believe that is a thing. Obviously somebody an correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Yes, daylight is getting longer until Late June
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#339 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon May 08, 2023 10:41 am

I think there is a good chance we'll maintain an above average MDR given what we've seen in recent years with West African Monsoon-induced warming. Pretty much every long-range/seasonal model is showing a wet Sahel which is a sign that another strong WAM episode could be in the cards for this year, which naturally reduces trades in the tropical Atlantic.
4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#340 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 08, 2023 12:35 pm

AlanSnyder35 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
AlanSnyder35 wrote:

Well yeah, that's been going on since March. But we're talking about sea surface temperature anomalies, so this climatological warming isn't relevant
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”