2023 Cyclone Retirement (Poll Included at Top) Dora / Otis retired

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will Any Storm Be Retired After the 2023 Season?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:40 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 43

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: 2023 Cyclone Retirement (Poll Included at Top)

#141 Postby DioBrando » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 pm

ljmac75 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:For someone to actually take the time to falsify information like this (with a shot of thinly veiled racism at that) is moronic. Hope they find the culprit.

Which country report did you find this information from? The documents all now seem to have been reverted back to the originals.
Thank you to whoever did this, you're a star.

The files in the Canada and BCT folders were where I noticed it. Like you say, they're gone now.

Thank goodness for that.
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#142 Postby GSBHurricane » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:47 am

The replacements for the 2021-22 retirees are now up and it’s now official that Doksuri, Saola, and Haikui have been retired. I think Mawar will be retired next year if Yutu was any indication.
https://www.typhooncommittee.org/tc-ret ... name-list/
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#143 Postby DioBrando » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:16 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:The replacements for the 2021-22 retirees are now up and it’s now official that Doksuri, Saola, and Haikui have been retired. I think Mawar will be retired next year if Yutu was any indication.

Over for Otis

Request is made to remove the name of Hurricane OTIS from the 2023 tropical cyclone list.

Se hace la petición para retirar el nombre del huracán OTIS de la lista de ciclones tropicales 2023.
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#144 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:01 pm

DioBrando wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:The replacements for the 2021-22 retirees are now up and it’s now official that Doksuri, Saola, and Haikui have been retired. I think Mawar will be retired next year if Yutu was any indication.

Over for Otis

Request is made to remove the name of Hurricane OTIS from the 2023 tropical cyclone list.

Se hace la petición para retirar el nombre del huracán OTIS de la lista de ciclones tropicales 2023.

Link please !!! :sun:
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#145 Postby DioBrando » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:32 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Over for Otis

https://wmoomm.sharepoint.com/sites/wmo ... 9a3acaa1bd
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#146 Postby DioBrando » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:35 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Over for Otis

franklin got nominated for retirement as well
1 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#147 Postby GSBHurricane » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Over for Otis

Otis definitely a goner but Franklin's is more questionable considering the language being much poorer than elsewhere through the Dominican Republic document and compared to the language Mexico used for Otis. Also I don't think they would've specified to replace it with Ford specifically if they were to request it.
3 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#148 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:37 pm

IMO, only Otis should be retired. Even Idalia I don't think did enough damage in the end - it was on par with, say, Zeta.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#149 Postby DioBrando » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:26 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:Link please !!! :sun:

Otis definitely a goner but Franklin's is more questionable considering the language being much poorer than elsewhere through the Dominican Republic document and compared to the language Mexico used for Otis. Also I don't think they would've specified to replace it with Ford specifically if they were to request it.

Poorer?
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#150 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:05 pm

DioBrando wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:franklin got nominated for retirement as well

Poorer?

It says this: “Reemplace el nombre Franklin con Ford por favor.” Compare this to the text to that proceeding it and following it. Certainly much less formal and especially less formal when compared to the language Mexico used in its request to retire Otis. Also, they wouldn’t just say “Replace this name with that name” but say that due to the impact that this storm has had, our country recommends retiring this name. As far as names, they would probably suggest 2-4 names. Here’s another example from back when Sandy was retired, “Given the devastating impact caused by Hurricane Sandy in the United States, RSMC Miami recommends the retirement of the name Sandy and be replaced with Sara, Sheri or Susan.”
3 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#151 Postby DioBrando » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:26 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:Otis definitely a goner but Franklin's is more questionable considering the language being much poorer than elsewhere through the Dominican Republic document and compared to the language Mexico used for Otis. Also I don't think they would've specified to replace it with Ford specifically if they were to request it.

Poorer?

It says this: “Reemplace el nombre Franklin con Ford por favor.” Compare this to the text to that proceeding it and following it. Certainly much less formal and especially less formal when compared to the language Mexico used in its request to retire Otis. Also, they wouldn’t just say “Replace this name with that name” but say that due to the impact that this storm has had, our country recommends retiring this name. As far as names, they would probably suggest 2-4 names. Here’s another example from back when Sandy was retired, “Given the devastating impact caused by Hurricane Sandy in the United States, RSMC Miami recommends the retirement of the name Sandy and be replaced with Sara, Sheri or Susan.”

Do you think it's legit or a vandal?
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#152 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 pm

DioBrando wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:Poorer?

I think it would be very surprising if it turns out to be legit in next weeks meeting, as the Franklin request reads more like a vandal did it than anything.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#153 Postby DioBrando » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:52 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:It says this: “Reemplace el nombre Franklin con Ford por favor.” Compare this to the text to that proceeding it and following it. Certainly much less formal and especially less formal when compared to the language Mexico used in its request to retire Otis. Also, they wouldn’t just say “Replace this name with that name” but say that due to the impact that this storm has had, our country recommends retiring this name. As far as names, they would probably suggest 2-4 names. Here’s another example from back when Sandy was retired, “Given the devastating impact caused by Hurricane Sandy in the United States, RSMC Miami recommends the retirement of the name Sandy and be replaced with Sara, Sheri or Susan.”

I think it would be very surprising if it turns out to be legit in next weeks meeting, as the Franklin request reads more like a vandal did it than anything.

Especially given the Laquavious thing someone else mentioned in the Canada report
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#154 Postby ljmac75 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 pm

So what name should they replace Otis with? Othello? Obadiah? Ocean (I have met people named this)?
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#155 Postby Hurricane2022 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:30 pm

ljmac75 wrote:So what name should they replace Otis with? Othello? Obadiah? Ocean (I have met people named this)?

Odair, Oliver, Orlandus, Onyx, Olivair, Osvaldo, Otero...
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#156 Postby DioBrando » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:59 am

Hurricane2022 wrote:
ljmac75 wrote:So what name should they replace Otis with? Othello? Obadiah? Ocean (I have met people named this)?

Odair, Oliver, Orlandus, Onyx, Olivair, Osvaldo, Otero...

I wonder if the WMO are going towards more non-European or Hispanic names given their recent replacement and auxiliary names
0 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2023 Cyclone Retirement

#157 Postby JetFuel_SE » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:18 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:Isis??

Not sure if that's a joke, but Isis was actually used on the EPAC naming lists before. It was taken out before the start of the 2016 season when it was supposed to be used again, for obvious reasons. It didn't even go through the proper retirement procedure (i.e. not retired due to heavy damage, and not decided after the season when it was previously used).

The EPAC has a history of retiring names that were just plain bad. Two other examples are Adolph and Knut (replaced with Alvin and Kenneth respectively). Honestly I have no clue who thought that it would be a good idea to have those original names on the EPAC naming list lol

Adolph was retired in 2001, which interestingly enough also had Israel on the same list, but Israel ended up getting replaced with Ivo before it was ever used.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#158 Postby DioBrando » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:49 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
Teban54 wrote:Not sure if that's a joke, but Isis was actually used on the EPAC naming lists before. It was taken out before the start of the 2016 season when it was supposed to be used again, for obvious reasons. It didn't even go through the proper retirement procedure (i.e. not retired due to heavy damage, and not decided after the season when it was previously used).

The EPAC has a history of retiring names that were just plain bad. Two other examples are Adolph and Knut (replaced with Alvin and Kenneth respectively). Honestly I have no clue who thought that it would be a good idea to have those original names on the EPAC naming list lol

Adolph was retired in 2001, which interestingly enough also had Israel on the same list, but Israel ended up getting replaced with Ivo before it was ever used.

Do you think there ever will be hurricanes with pure Hebrew names like Shlomo, Tamar and Yael?
If there's Deshawn, Ernesto, Karen and Omar, then there can also be Shlomo and Yael.
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#159 Postby ljmac75 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:16 pm

DioBrando wrote:
JetFuel_SE wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Do you think there ever will be hurricanes with pure Hebrew names like Shlomo, Tamar and Yael?
If there's Deshawn, Ernesto, Karen and Omar, then there can also be Shlomo and Yael.

TC names are supposed to be ones familiar to people in that region. In the North Atlantic, that typically means names are typically English, Spanish, or French in origin or are at least somewhat popular names somewhere in North America. I don't know if the three Hebrew names mentioned are particularly popular in NA, but I might be wrong.

On an unrelated note, it looks like the WMO site has finally been changed so that the reports are all "read-only."
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#160 Postby DioBrando » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:26 pm

ljmac75 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
JetFuel_SE wrote:Adolph was retired in 2001, which interestingly enough also had Israel on the same list, but Israel ended up getting replaced with Ivo before it was ever used.

TC names are supposed to be ones familiar to people in that region. In the North Atlantic, that typically means names are typically English, Spanish, or French in origin or are at least somewhat popular names somewhere in North America. I don't know if the three Hebrew names mentioned are particularly popular in NA, but I might be wrong.

On an unrelated note, it looks like the WMO site has finally been changed so that the reports are all "read-only."

I wonder when the USA will release their report.
I always gloss over the English/Spanish/French origin thing because Omar, Idris, Imani and Deshawn are there.
Also the EPAC has some rather odd/non-existent names. Like what's a Jova?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”