2023 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#141 Postby LarryWx » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:10 am

jfk08c wrote:The GFS spitting out a storm in fantasy land is nothing new but I have to admit, the run to run consistency of development makes me think there's something there to keep an eye on. Normally it would make it a couple runs and then drop off but this has been a multi day trend. Time will tell

We'll see as nobody can possibly know what will happen that far out in forecast time. El Ninos are often active in the Gulf and nearby early in the season. But don't be fooled by the repeated runs of the GFS showing a TC in that area. I can remember multiple instances of the GFS over recent years going as long as a week+ having run after run after run of a strong TC and then it pretty suddenly dropping it afterward with it never reappearing as if to say "psyche!", especially when the GFS was the only model with it. One key will be to see if other models start to pick up in it.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 am

Let’s face it the GFS is notorious for early GOM phantom systems in June.
360 should always be seen as a fantasy.
But darn, it has been persistent for the past eight plus runs.
Latest has a Naples Tallahassee double strike.
Thought at least we would have heard from Florida wishcasters by now though.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0606&fh=12
3 likes   

Cat5James
Category 1
Category 1

#143 Postby Cat5James » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 am

OuterBanker wrote:Let’s face it the GFS is notorious for early GOM phantom systems in June.

Typically the fantasy GFS CAG storms start in May. I'm also skeptical until we get into the 10 day range (and another model picks up on the signal), but it sure has been consistent
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby LarryWx » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am

OuterBanker wrote:Let’s face it the GFS is notorious for early GOM phantom systems in June.

I recall it going 20-25+ runs in a row with a strong TC in the western basin on several different occasions that turned out to be a phantom. So, I'm always wary, especially out in model fantasyland, at least until other models also have it.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#145 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:13 pm

LarryWx wrote:

I recall it going 20-25+ runs in a row with a strong TC in the western basin on several different occasions that turned out to be a phantom. So, I'm always wary, especially out in model fantasyland, at least until other models also have it.

The best timeframe to watch the models is 5 days or less but going up to 10 days is not too bad if the models begin a consensus there.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:31 pm

Here is a study published by Jeff Masters in 2022 on a Yale study of model accuracy.

Track model. GFS
Intensity HMON
Genesis Euro

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022 ... rformance/
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby USTropics » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:00 pm

It's all about long range signals for now, but interesting that the ensembles for the GFS and CMC are highlighting the Caribbean in about 2 weeks from now:

GFS ensembles

CMC ensembles

Climatology favors this area in June, and while on average only 1 storm forms during the month of June (and we've already had Arlene), typically the first system forms on June 20th in the Caribbean/GOM, so definitely an area to watch as we get within the 10 day timeframe:
3 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#148 Postby Teban54 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:45 pm

USTropics wrote:It's all about long range signals for now, but interesting that the ensembles for the GFS and CMC are highlighting the Caribbean in about 2 weeks from now:

GFS ensembles
https://i.imgur.com/bDGcDt3.png

CMC ensembles
https://i.imgur.com/53eULxR.png

Climatology favors this area in June, and while on average only 1 storm forms during the month of June (and we've already had Arlene), typically the first system forms on June 20th in the Caribbean/GOM, so definitely an area to watch as we get within the 10 day timeframe:
https://i.imgur.com/KtDrWtR.png

Bonnie 2022 really stands out :lol:
0 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#149 Postby Jr0d » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 pm

GFS once again in fantasy land with a carib 'cane in the Yucatan pass...

Maybe in August/Sept/Oct it verifies...right now its a trash run.
0 likes   

jfk08c
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#150 Postby jfk08c » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:18 pm

Jr0d wrote:GFS once again in fantasy land with a carib 'cane in the Yucatan pass...

Climatology suggests that if a storm forms in June, that's right where it would be.
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#151 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:05 pm

jfk08c wrote:
Jr0d wrote:GFS once again in fantasy land with a carib 'cane in the Yucatan pass...

Climatology suggests that if a storm forms in June, that's right where it would be.

However, the GFS has forecast 73 of the last 5 storms to form there
5 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#152 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:10 pm

It's been persistent, but the GFS' known bias towards this region this time of year + the fact that it's in the long range (for now) needs to be taken into account. I'd wait until the weekend to see whether or not it continues to show up, as well as gain support from other models to ensure it's not just the GFS' typical early season shenanigans (especially if the origins are from that little stream of vorticity off Venezuela the GFS often likes to erroneously spin up into TCs)

2 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#153 Postby weeniepatrol » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:32 pm

No chomping until life (or I guess nhc) gives you lemons.
2 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#154 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 pm

Wow, 18z GFS now a cat 3 into Northern Mx. 0z Bahamas, 6z Naples, 12 z NOLA. I guess tomorrow it will be Naples Italy.
If nothing else at least 360 gfs is entertaining :D
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#155 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:31 pm

Something to note about the GFS: I think it's very tempting (and rightfully so) to believe that this upcoming storm is a ghost storm. I really wouldn't be surprised if that happens. However, there are a few points I am keeping in the very back of my head.

1. Unlike last May's persistent phantom, it is June. June has had its share of strong hurricanes pretty rarely but not unheard of. Take 1957, 1966, and 2010 for example.

2. The storm seems to gain its roots near Central America, and we all know that climo-speaking, mid to late Jane sees storms commonly form in that region.

3. In a Nino year, early season activity isn't that far-fetched (1957's Audrey was a June storm, for example). Adding to the uncertainty of how this particular early season might behave is the wicked Atlantic warmth. Will it have an impact on storm behavior at this time of the year or not? Only time will tell.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#156 Postby GCANE » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:54 am

Looking at 250mb GFS forecast, it appears the CONUS Omega Block will rearrange to have a UL Low over northern Baja and the other UL Low over UP of MI.
This may be due n part to the developing El Nino.
With this arrangement, there appears that an Anti-Cyclonic Rossby Wave Break may form in the GoM.
This coupled with the extreme hot water in the GoM makes development of a strong TC in the GoM in June not out of the question IMHO.

Arlene strengthened more than I expected despite being in a hostile environment. Shear was high and a large UL vort was overhead.
It appeared to me, Arlene strengthened from strong WISHE of the high water temps.
This will continue to be the case for anything that may form in the future.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby LarryWx » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:06 am

The 6Z GEFS is the least active GEFS in quite awhile with only one strong TC out of 31 members as of 0Z on 6/20 (hour 306) even though the 6Z GFS then has a H in the SE GOM. The 0Z EPS like the prior ones has nothing from 51 members.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#158 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:15 am

Yes, the GFS does this every May/June. The key will be consensus with other models. Comparing the 10-day GFS with the EC & CMC, there is no consensus. GFS is all alone in showing anything at all in the western Caribbean next Friday. Since I forecast TCs worldwide, I see this in every basin. If it's only the GFS forecasting something, it should be ignored. The GFS also tends to go very strong with every storm. Let's see what things look like by this weekend or early next week. The time period will then be well within 10 days. Do the EC, CMC, and ICON see anything?
2 likes   

Cat5James
Category 1
Category 1

#159 Postby Cat5James » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:24 am

wxman57 wrote:Yes, the GFS does this every May/June. The key will be consensus with other models. Comparing the 10-day GFS with the EC & CMC, there is no consensus. GFS is all alone in showing anything at all in the western Caribbean next Friday. Since I forecast TCs worldwide, I see this in every basin. If it's only the GFS forecasting something, it should be ignored. The GFS also tends to go very strong with every storm. Let's see what things look like by this weekend or early next week. The time period will then be well within 10 days. Do the EC, CMC, and ICON see anything?

GEPS Ensembles are seeing something.
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#160 Postby Hurricane2022 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:53 am

GFS now forecasts TCG at TAU 252 in the WCAR.
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”