List of names with the pronunciations from 2023 thru 2028

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

List of names with the pronunciations from 2023 thru 2028

#1 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 pm

Includes the two new ones in 2028 that replace Fiona and Ian that are Farrah and Idris.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: List of names with the pronunciations from 2023 thru 2028

#2 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:08 pm

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:16 pm

Fun fact: The famous actor Idris Elba's real first name is actually not "Idris," it is "Idrissa." :P
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:18 pm

I see they are now using the more widespread pronunciation of Beryl.

I remember at one point years ago the pronunciation guide had Beryl rhyming with Earl, which is the way some people in the rural South say it. :)
2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:32 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
I remember at one point years ago the pronunciation guide had Beryl rhyming with Earl, which is the way some people in the rural South say it. :)

Yeah...I always hated that. :lol: Beh-ryl is much easier on my ears.
2 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:04 pm

You know, sometimes I question some of these names :lol:

Like "Beryl?" They couldn't do "Brittany" or "Brianna?"

Or "Patty" (like a hamburger patty or Krabby Patty or, better yet, "Patricia" but shorter)? I mean, it's almost like they could have gone with "Paige" or "Phoebe"...

I mean, the names are the names and there's nothing we can do to change them unless they get retired as destructive, powerful storms. But I do occasionally wonder how some of these names exactly even found their way onto the Atlantic naming list. :)
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Beryl is maybe kinda pretty, sort of... :oops:
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Foxfires » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:45 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:You know, sometimes I question some of these names :lol:

Or "Patty" (like a hamburger patty or Krabby Patty or, better yet, "Patricia" but shorter)? I mean, it's almost like they could have gone with "Paige" or "Phoebe"...

I mean, the names are the names and there's nothing we can do to change them unless they get retired as destructive, powerful storms. But I do occasionally wonder how some of these names exactly even found their way onto the Atlantic naming list. :)

Beryl is a jewel name mostly given to females. It's like the names Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond, Emerald, Amethyst, Jade, Opal, etc (some of those have been used for tropical cyclones).
4 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:08 am

Oh come on. Beryl is one of the original names from the six rotating lists created when they added male names. So it was chosen in 1979. The people who chose the names in 1979 were almost surely male meteorologists with average age of at least 50 --meaning they themselves were born around 1929. Brittany and Brianna had both just recently been created as girls' names (both still ranked below the top 300 in 1979) and only people who knew very young girls were likely to have even heard of them at that point. And remember this was well before we had the SSA list on the Internet. So the people who came up with the 1979 lists were way more likely to know a Beryl personally (though even then it would have been one of their mothers or aunts, probably) than to know a Brittany or Brianna. :)
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#10 Postby wxman57 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:17 am

Question - since when does the name "Kyle" have more than one syllable? "Ky-ull"??? What about words like "pale" (pay-ull) or "trail" (tra-ull). Ridiculous. How about "Kile" for "Kyle"?
2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:21 am

Oh come on. Beryl is one of the original names from the six rotating lists created when they added male names. So it was chosen in 1979. The people who chose the names in 1979 were almost surely male meteorologists with average age of at least 50 --meaning they themselves were born around 1929. Brittany and Brianna had both just recently been created as girls' names (both still ranked below the top 300 in 1979) and only people who knew very young girls were likely to have even heard of them at that point. And remember this was well before we had the SSA list on the Internet. So the people who came up with the 1979 lists were way more likely to know a Beryl personally (though even then it would have been one of their mothers or aunts, probably) than to know a Brittany or Brianna. :)

Might have even been chosen a little bit sooner than that, like if they created the lists a year ahead or something. I don't know exactly when the decision to add male names was made. (Fun fact: The EPAC started with male names a year earlier than the Atlantic.)
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:33 am

AnnularCane wrote:

Might have even been chosen a little bit sooner than that, like if they created the lists a year ahead or something. I don't know exactly when the decision to add male names was made. (Fun fact: The EPAC started with male names a year earlier than the Atlantic.)

1979 was when the Atlantic began using male names (I think there were a lot of complaints about how just using female names was sexist and unfair).

Also, Cleveland Kent Evans has a good point, I actually didn't really consider the fact that Beryl is a somewhat outdated name that would have been more common and familiar in 1979, especially with how many of the WMO members would be male and aged over 50. I think my Gen Z bias is being a bit forceful here :P
2 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby JetFuel_SE » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:43 am

wxman57 wrote:Question - since when does the name "Kyle" have more than one syllable? "Ky-ull"??? What about words like "pale" (pay-ull) or "trail" (tra-ull). Ridiculous. How about "Kile" for "Kyle"?

Ever heard of accents? Like that one thing where things are pronounced differently in different places?
0 likes   

LemieT
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#14 Postby LemieT » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:15 pm

wxman57 wrote:Question - since when does the name "Kyle" have more than one syllable? "Ky-ull"??? What about words like "pale" (pay-ull) or "trail" (tra-ull). Ridiculous. How about "Kile" for "Kyle"?

This is the EXACT thought I had reading through the list! Maybe they're trying to tell us the next "Ky-ull" will form from an Upper-Level-Low mixing down to the surface :wink:
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby tolakram » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:34 pm

JetFuel_SE wrote:

Ever heard of accents? Like that one thing where things are pronounced differently in different places?

No, I have never in my life heard of Kyle being pronounced with 2 syllables.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby JetFuel_SE » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:29 am

tolakram wrote:
JetFuel_SE wrote:

No, I have never in my life heard of Kyle being pronounced with 2 syllables.

Well, take it up with the NHC and WMO then.
2 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:08 pm

As the resident gemologist Beryl is a group of gemstones. Most common are Emerald (green), Aquamarine (blue) and Morganite (pink). Never met anyone named Beryl though.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#18 Postby wxman57 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:32 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:

Yes, I've heard of accents, but accents are not considered for a pronunciation guide. For example, if there was a storm named "Mark", the pronunciation guide would not say "Mock" for someone in Boston. Kyle is a single syllable name.
4 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#19 Postby DioBrando » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:20 am

because boomers picked them for fellow boomers in 1979
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#20 Postby NotSparta » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:19 am

That's just what kind of names were common back in the 70s. I'm sure the common names now will sound weird in the 2070s
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”