NOTICE: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

NOTICE: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

#1 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:34 pm

Another devastating blow for the modern web, Imgur has changed their polices to reflect this change and others starting May 15 2023. The vast majority of uploaded images were by anonymous non-registered users. Unfortunately I also noticed Imgur being promoted in the Image Posting Guidelines in the pinned topic. The site started in 2009 but rose to prominence around 2011 so if interested in saving content on this board and others that heavily used Imgur I'd start saving and collecting now; there are also various scraper tools one can use to automate that. Some more complex than others. I don't know yet how to determine if each Imgur link originated from a registered account or not. Feedback in here from Imgur posters would be helpful in that regard.

You can read the changes here:

https://imgur.com/tos
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029

Please leave this thread in Talking Tropics as people will want to collect and save locally tropical cyclone imagery that may have been uploaded on that platform, no one will see this in off-topic.
9 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

Re: NOTICE: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

#2 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Thank god I use imageshack as a paid user. My archives safe along with my loops I post here. I am concern about 2009-2016 archive threads none the less. :( This sucks.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: NOTICE: All Non-Account Imgur Images will be Deleted by May 15 2023

#3 Postby tolakram » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:36 pm

Imageshack did the same thing, I eventually stopped paying. I'm a free imgur account holder, my images will stay. It costs a ton to store images and we are used to free stuff, I expect some day imgur will have to charge as well, or enforce a way to view ads on images.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”