Poll: How many named storms will form in July?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many named storms will form in July?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 pm

One
9%
Two
55%
Three
15%
Four
6%
Five
2%
Six or more
2%
None will form
11%

Total votes: 53

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Poll: How many named storms will form in July?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:58 pm

Ok folks. Here is the July poll about how many named storms will form in the month and the members will have plenty of time to cast the vote as the poll will close on June 30th at 11:58 PM EDT. Let's see if this poll gets a lot of votes.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Poll: How many named storms will form in July?

#2 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:06 pm

Went with 1. Weak gulf storm around the middle of the month. Although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if another one forms at the end of the month
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:36 pm

By June 25th and until the poll closes on 11:58 PM EDT on the 30h, will edit the poll to allow members who may want to change their vote to do so.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby chaser1 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 am

I'm thinking 3, all "clunker's" without a hurricane in the bunch!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:38 am

Lots of people went with 2, and I'm in agreement with them.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:47 am

Chancing it and going with two - a storm in the subtropics and perhaps an MDR TS. I think we have a decent shot of seeing the latter due to how warm MDR SSTs are; if, say, a well-timed CCKW intercepts a well-defined TW then it's a possibility.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:06 pm

I think it’s going to be a hyperactive July with two quickly dissipating storms and yet somehow a barrel full of dead season predictions, as is tradition.
4 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:15 am

2. Cindy and Don. One early July and one late July.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be :lol:
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:38 pm

2. One in the MDR and one homegrown storm near the US of non-tropical origin
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Teban54 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:02 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:2. One in the MDR and one homegrown storm near the US of non-tropical origin

Love how everyone starts treating July MDR activity as a given at this point :lol:
2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:21 pm

I'm tempted to vote "none"...and then be embarrassingly wrong. :lol:

Edited: Done. 8-)
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby NDG » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:40 pm

My vote for 2 might be too low after seeing how the season has started.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby aspen » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:06 pm

I’m conservatively thinking 2-3. Early-season MDR activity doesn’t guarantee an active July; just look at 2021 and 2022, two back-to-back La Niña years. Maybe we could see a big spike in activity late in July with that modeled CCKW on the EPS weeklies, if it verifies. If the EPac wakes up in July, I’d expect the Atlantic to be mostly unfavorable and CCKW-dependent.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:09 pm

My vote for 1 is very likely to bust at this point.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:19 am

cycloneye wrote:By June 25th and until the poll closes on 11:58 PM EDT on the 30h, will edit the poll to allow members who may want to change their vote to do so.

As I mentioned, the poll from today until it closes on June 30th at 11:58 PM EDT will allow members that have voted to change their vote.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby aspen » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:27 am

I’m thinking of going with 3 now. I believe we could see 1-2 early in July and another 1-2 in late July, coinciding with CCKW passes. Probably at least one in the MDR, perhaps the first hurricane of the season. However, Atlantic activity next month really depends on whether or not the EPac wakes up during a usually busy month.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby LarryWx » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:07 am

For JJA Nino 3.4 of +1.0+, here are the # of July storm geneses:

2015: 1
1997: 3
1987: 0
1972: 0
1965: 0
1957: 0
1905: 0
1902: 0
1877: 0

Average: 0.44

Due to the extra warm Atlantic and 4 of those years being pre satellite, I'll go up to 1 NS instead of down to 0 NS despite 7 of the 9 having none.

So, my pick is 1 NS.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:44 am

Good participation in this poll that has option two the winner with 55%. Let's see in reallity, how things turn out this month.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:50 pm

So much for my prediction. :lol: But so far it's just little Don, so I'm not embarrassed yet.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:43 am

Right now I'm feeling pretty good with my guess of 3 NS for the month of July. I've come to realize over the years that this exercise has transformed into a 60/40 proposition. 60% forecast based on anticipated conditions for genesis, and 40% forecast on what I believe that NHC will deem worthy of naming. Therefore with 1 (clunker) NS throughout the Atlantic basin thus far this month officially in the books, and given what I would consider the near-term overall marginally adverse conditions for development, my personal guess is that there will not be any additional disturbances that will develop into a "legit" TS until the final days of this month - best case. Given my enhanced formula of attributing a 40% weight toward NHC classifying one or more borderline cyclones (such as an E. Coast home-brew or another subtropical Atlantic gale), one additional NS clunker seems quite reasonable during the remaining 2 weeks. That would take us to 2 NS's for the month and I'd venture to guess that the E. Atlantic might pull out one short-lived "tropical origin" NS during the final days of the month.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”