ACE and 2023

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

ACE and 2023

#1 Postby hurricanetrack » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:11 pm

I know most people here know what ACE is etc but I wanted to share today's video discussion with you all as it is pretty interesting to use past ACE (we also say analog years) seasons to help us to *maybe* predict what lies ahead. Love using archival data to help illustrate my point and today's video did just that. Enjoy!

Link: https://youtu.be/B1F19BXDkhE
10 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ACE and 2023

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:11 pm

Thanks for sharing that Mr. Sudduth! It is quite interesting to also consider how at least with the CONUS, the four hurricanes that made landfall at Category 5 status (Labor Day, Camille, Andrew, and Michael) did not have as impressive of an ACE score compared to storms like Irma, Ivan, Sam, or Inez. It does seem like while you can certainly have destructive storms that also score high in ACE, the ones that explosively intensify near land aren't very ACE heavy.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”