Poll: Will the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season feature at least one major hurricane in either October or November?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season feature at least one major hurricane in October or November?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:00 pm

Yes
74%
No
21%
Dont know
6%

Total votes: 34

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

Poll: Will the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season feature at least one major hurricane in either October or November?

#1 Postby WalterWhite » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 pm

Options:

1) Yes

2) No
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Poll: Will the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season feature at least one major hurricane in either October or November?

#2 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:01 pm

Made the poll for the members to vote and will be open for 10 days. Added the Dont know option.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Poll: Will the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season feature at least one major hurricane in either October or November?

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:03 pm

Yeah I think we'll get one in Oct
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Old-TimeCane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:30 pm

I think yes, most likely in October.
1 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:44 am

Yes I think 1 in October. Even in an El Nino, the SSTs are just so high that any brief window of lower shear will be sufficient in October imo.
0 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby Chris90 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:17 am

I voted yes, I don't think my seasonal numbers are going to pan out. For my S2K poll numbers to verify, I need Margot to become a hurricane, I need just 1 more storm, Nigel, to form and become a hurricane, and I need Lee to be the last major, with the season completely shutting down after this.

I have a pretty strong feeling my numbers are going to be too low in every category.
0 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:30 am

What I am very curious to see is assuming this is indeed a "yes," what kind of track that kind of storm would take. It would be nice to see a nice, fish major that never affects land at any given point in time. But as we've seen before, we could have a track like Matthew or Hazel, or the more infamous Caribbean to Gulf recurving systems like Wilma or the 1921 Tampa Hurricane, during this time of the year. And it's quite obvious that this year hasn't exactly behaved like a moderate El Nino in many parameters.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Teban54 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:50 pm

As of writing, 67% of respondents voted yes.

Great to see that since late July and August, the tide has turned from "the Atlantic needs to overperform in August before El Nino shuts down the basin at the start of September" to "Yes we'll probably get a late-season major despite the Nino" :lol:
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:41 am

Those who have not voted yet on this poll hurry because it closes for voting tonight at 8 PM EDT.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:38 pm

For sure, October will be a very interesting month to watch. I think the troughing we're seeing now might be great for averting any Cape Verde threats, but if this sticks around, I would think that that might increase the risk of systems that form in the Caribbean to move northward.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#11 Postby MarioProtVI » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:16 am

On the contrary, AOI 1 is most likely to be the last major of the season (after Nigel which brings us to 5). There’s a good chance October will be less active then people think, with a STJ dropping south from the GoM and practically rendering most of the west-central Caribbean unfavorable for development. We will probably only see a high latitude subtropics Cat 1 and/or a very weak and sheared storm that for some reason decides to develop our in the open but gets sheared to oblivion a day after forming.
3 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby WiscoWx02 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:01 pm

Thinking not. Had the same feeling in 2021 after Sam went up and nothing really happened after that. I know conditions are vastly different now than then but have a feeling things will shut down once Nigel or Ophelia leave the picture.
1 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:17 pm

The El Nino subtropical jet makes it a challenge but it's not impossible.
0 likes   

WeatherBoy2000
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#14 Postby WeatherBoy2000 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:07 pm

I won't be surprised if one forms but El Nino should prevent anything like 2020 from happening again.

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1703796837763723714

Climate models are hinting at a largely unfavorable Caribbean/gulf in the late season due to El Nino suppression finally kicking into gear. However, ssts are very warm, 30c+ temps dominate the gulf/Caribbean to a much larger extent compared to epac this year. Models indicate that the mdr through the ecar might still be favorable into October. Could see a storm like Gonzalo 2014.
0 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby MarioProtVI » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:00 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:On the contrary, AOI 1 is most likely to be the last major of the season (after Nigel which brings us to 5). There’s a good chance October will be less active then people think, with a STJ dropping south from the GoM and practically rendering most of the west-central Caribbean unfavorable for development. We will probably only see a high latitude subtropics Cat 1 and/or a very weak and sheared storm that for some reason decides to develop our in the open but gets sheared to oblivion a day after forming.

Coming back to this after today’s developments, I think Lee was our last major. Models are significantly backing off the AOI and Nigel flopping with its broad core likely enough to prevent a major out of this one despite favorable conditions.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”