Poll: Will Lee regain Category 5 strength at any point?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will Lee regain category 5 strengh at any point?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:53 pm

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 30

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Poll: Will Lee regain Category 5 strength at any point?

#1 Postby Tekken_Guy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:51 pm

Will Hurricane Lee regain Category 5 strength at any point in its lifetime?

Mods please make a poll.
Options:
-Yes
-No
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Poll: Will Lee regain Category 5 strength at any point?

#2 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:54 pm

Made the poll for the members to vote and will close on Saturday at 4:53 PM EDT.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby Hurricane2022 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:36 pm

Yes
165 - 180 mph
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:37 pm

Voted no. No coming back from where it's out now with the inner core being this disrupted and the shear not letting up much.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:42 pm

I think it could end up making it back to 130-140kts in a few days but I voted no since it's probably the more likely option
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby REDHurricane » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:35 pm

Voted yes earlier but now I'm not so sure. Looks like Lee will have another shot at it starting around Sunday night through Tuesday morning, but that would require the ULAC to shift back north and push the unexpected shear away a bit -- maybe HAFS still has a good grip on this one, but it has certainly whiffed on predicting the past ~24 hours of Lee and I don't think I would bet on its current solution verifying either. We'll just have to wait and see
0 likes   

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7 Postby Tekken_Guy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:52 pm

REDHurricane wrote:Voted yes earlier but now I'm not so sure. Looks like Lee will have another shot at it starting around Sunday night through Tuesday morning, but that would require the ULAC to shift back north and push the unexpected shear away a bit -- maybe HAFS still has a good grip on this one, but it has certainly whiffed on predicting the past ~24 hours of Lee and I don't think I would bet on its current solution verifying either. We'll just have to wait and see

Why did you vote yes earlier?
0 likes   

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby REDHurricane » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:02 am

Tekken_Guy wrote:
REDHurricane wrote:Voted yes earlier but now I'm not so sure. Looks like Lee will have another shot at it starting around Sunday night through Tuesday morning, but that would require the ULAC to shift back north and push the unexpected shear away a bit -- maybe HAFS still has a good grip on this one, but it has certainly whiffed on predicting the past ~24 hours of Lee and I don't think I would bet on its current solution verifying either. We'll just have to wait and see

Why did you vote yes earlier?

I didn't think the shear was going to completely erode the eyewall like it ended up doing yesterday.
0 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby CFLHurricane » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:36 am

Count me as a Lee doubter for sure. The paunchy storm we see today is wayward from the beast to the east we first came to know and love.
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:45 am

If Irma, Matthew and Katrina couldn’t do it, then I don’t expect Lee to do it. It’s hard for a former Cat 5 to remain Cat 5 status from my experience. I think Lee peaked
2 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#11 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:56 am

Hurricane2022 wrote:Yes
165 - 180 mph

Voted yes but now i'm confident this will not return to C5. A C4 still likely
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:47 am

If shear lessens this evening into Sunday then yes

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
0 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby aspen » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:16 am

Looking unlikely to be honest. Models are split on whether or not shear will let up, and the HAFS-A/B only get this to a borderline 5. I think 130+ kt is possible, but a 5 is gonna be tricky. It would be kinda hilarious if this blows up into a 150-160 kt/sub-920 system after all of this.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”