Biggest underperformers and overperformers

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Biggest underperformers and overperformers

#1 Postby Tekken_Guy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:52 am

What hurricanes were the biggest underperformers of expectations? The biggest overperformers?
1 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Biggest underperformers and overperformers

#2 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:33 am

Pamela was the biggest underperformer i've seen... expected to be Cat 4/5, but only became a sheared Cat 1
And one of the biggest overperformers was obviously Jova, initially expected to be a low-end C3/C4 and later intensified into a very rare C5 in the EPAC
4 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby DioBrando » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:52 am

Hurricane2022 wrote:Pamela was the biggest underperformer i've seen... expected to be Cat 4/5, but only became a sheared Cat 1
And one of the biggest overperformers was obviously Jova, initially expected to be a low-end C3/C4 and later intensified into a very rare C5 in the EPAC

We had a jovaperformer and Lee, an underperformer.
3 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:02 am

Rene was probably the biggest underperformer that I can recall.
3 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:40 am

Lee is both an overperformer and underperformer. RI'd to Cat5 but when it was poised to intensify even more and be in the ranks of Irma and Dorian, it got blasted off by shear.
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:54 am

Lee is 100% an underperformer---no doubt about it. HAFS models expected it intensify to 170-180 knots, yet it only reached a measly 145 knots.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:32 am

We're all making fun of Lee, but I know there was a storm that underperformed and flopped even worse:

Delta. :lol: :lol:
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:35 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:We're all making fun of Lee, but I know there was a storm that underperformed and flopped even worse:

How do you NOT get a Category V storm in a zero-shear environment in the extremely warm Caribbean?
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby NotSparta » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:10 am

WalterWhite wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:We're all making fun of Lee, but I know there was a storm that underperformed and flopped even worse:

How do you NOT get a Category V storm in a zero-shear environment in the extremely warm Caribbean?

There was a lot of mid-level easterly shear that wasn't predicted well that stopped its RI run
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#10 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:16 am

NotSparta wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

There was a lot of mid-level easterly shear that wasn't predicted well that stopped its RI run

The same happened with Hurricane Lee, except it was already a C5
0 likes   
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 am

I guess I'll never understand how Lee is an underperformer. I mean it reached Cat 5 in an area where not many storms are able to do that. Sure, the shear knocked it down way more than anyone expected but that doesn't make it an underperformance imo.

I mean it was only 10kts less than Irma which isn't much. And yeah a couple HAFS runs went ballistic but getting a 170kt storm in the Atlantic has literally never happened (at least since records have been recorded). You can't call a Cat 5 an underperformance just because it didn't end up with the highest Atlantic windspeed on record...
10 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:32 am

ElectricStorm wrote:I guess I'll never understand how Lee is an underperformer. I mean it reached Cat 5 in an area where not many storms are able to do that. Sure, the shear knocked it down way more than anyone expected but that doesn't make it an underperformance imo.

I mean it was only 10kts less than Irma which isn't much. And yeah a couple HAFS runs went ballistic but getting a 170kt storm in the Atlantic has literally never happened (at least since records have been recorded). You can't call a Cat 5 an underperformance just because it didn't end up with the highest Atlantic windspeed on record...

Sure, Lee underperformed if you were looking at some of the crazy hurricane model runs that got it near Irma/Dorian level or beyond. But otherwise, a 165 mph/926 mbar, solid Category 5 hurricane in the MDR during what should be a moderate El Nino year? That's pretty substantial in my honest opinion.

The way I see things, having so many ensembles calling for a powerhouse Category 5 was more of an indication that they were sniffing out ocean and atmosphere conditions that had a high chance of nurturing a Category 5 storm. In other words, they were more confident about a Category 5 system happening rather than solely calling for a record-breaking system that the Atlantic has never seen before.
8 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Teban54 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:21 am

Irma underperformed because it never became the 890 mb Miami hit that models showed it to be. :lol:

No, on a serious note, if you don't think Irma underperformed because of that, the same probably applies to Lee.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:27 am

Can't go without saying Pamela
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:48 am

I have difficulty taking seriously any sentence that involves "Cat 5" and "underperformer" personally.
11 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Xyls
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#16 Postby Xyls » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:08 pm

As far as chronic underperformers go impact wise I would have to say Hurricane Isaac from 2012 consistently underperformed what it was expected to do. At one point there was a concern it was going to be a Category 2 or 3 into Tampa Bay, at another point it was going to be another Category 3 into New Orleans. And it barely managed to squeak out being a Category 1 before landfall. There was a lot of media coverage on it and it flopped, although was still relatively destructive for it's intensity.

Florence 2018 was also another underperformer and there we original expectations it was going to get maybe to Cat 5 or just under strength as it approached North Carolina and she ended up doing the exact opposite.
3 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:14 pm

Every time this thread comes up I feel like I need to add Earl 2004. East Caribbean ts expected to become a hurricane with potential to threaten the northern gulf coast as a major, so soon after Charley. Then it just degenerated.
3 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#18 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Michael '18 and Idalia '23 were 2 very similar storms that were expected to become only strong tropical storms at landfall, but both overperformed and surprisingly quickly intensified into two powerful Cat. 5 and Cat. 4 hurricanes, respectively.
0 likes   

--------

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:44 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Lee is 100% an underperformer---no doubt about it. HAFS models expected it intensify to 170-180 knots, yet it only reached a measly 145 knots.

"Only" 145 kts. I feel you put your expectations way too high. You got a Cat 5 and you're still complaining.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby FireRat » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:55 pm

galaxy401 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Lee is 100% an underperformer---no doubt about it. HAFS models expected it intensify to 170-180 knots, yet it only reached a measly 145 knots.

"Only" 145 kts. I feel you put your expectations way too high. You got a Cat 5 and you're still complaining.

Yeah a feat not even 2020 officially could pull off! But yeah all is relative I guess, with many expecting a Haiyan out of this thing like the models showed once Lee really took off. Definitely not an underperformer, more like performed as expected originally.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”