Discussion About Changing the Start of the Atlantic Hurricane Season to May (15th)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATLC Hurricane Season Start (5th Thread Started Sep 2023)

#101 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:36 pm

There seems to be support to start it May 15th, but I personally would extend it to Dec 15th as well. If we continue to see the pattern of SST we're seeing now it's got to be considered.

If we don't get major cool downs this year and there is a pocket of favorability I can see a late Nov or even early Dec storm like Kate 1985 which was a warm year. I do think within the next ten years we will get another late Nov Kate in the Gulf or even into early Dec.

I remember a couple years ago the models all developed a sub tropical storm in the Gulf in Jan, but the surface low ended up developing just over land. Euro was all over it I recall.

2012 in Feb nearly had a TS form not far from the Keys around the time of the Super Bowl but it got sheared out.

But with warmer SST there is no reason to think you could have a Kate in early Dec, just two weeks later than 1985.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/gtwo/a ... 1202052349

Lets not forget the 2021 Dec storm here in SWFL. Joe Bastardi has made the argument this Gulf low should have been named. He said warm core, and the waters were plenty warm for a sub tropical storm. Looking at it the thing did look tropicalish. Waters were above normal I remember.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/3a ... d2f154cd04
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Discussion About Changing the Start of the Atlantic Hurricane Season to May (15th)

#102 Postby Astromanía » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:42 am

:roll: , there is no reason to expand the season. The tropical cyclone season means the time of the year where tropical cyclones tend to form but they can develop any time of the year, May and December have more activity than the others off season months but they are still far from the activity of the official season. What would change if you expand the season? A May and December storm if happens will be not more than a weak td or ts developing far from land in most cases
4 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Discussion About Changing the Start of the Atlantic Hurricane Season to May (15th)

#103 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:58 am

Quick google search has the most recent May hurricane as Alma in 1970, and the most recent December storm was in 2013, with the most recent December hurricane being Epsilon in 2005 (which formed in Nov, last one to form in Dec appears to be Lili in 1984). In fact since 2013, we've had more January storms (2, including a hurricane) than December storms. Sure we had quite the streak of years with a May storm there for a while but I don't really think that's enough to expand "hurricane" season to include May and December when an actual hurricane in those months is very rare. Starting the TWO's on May 15 instead of June 1 makes sense though.

Just my opinion though
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby Teban54 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:00 am

Astromanía wrote:A May and December storm if happens will be not more than a weak td or ts

As we've seen from Daniel in the Mediterranean, a TS can be very damaging.

Especially if the public is not prepared for it. And while most of the North Atlantic basin is thankfully better prepared for tropical threats than the likes of Libya and Greece, being off-season certainly hurts the level of public awareness and alertness.

Astromanía wrote:developing far from land in most cases

I disagree, plenty of off-season storms affected land. 6 out of 10 off-season storms since 2015 (start of the 6-year pre-season streak) affected land: Ana 2015, Bonnie 2016, Alberto 2018, Arthur 2020, Bertha 2020, One 2023.
0 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#105 Postby Ianswfl » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:52 am

Teban54 wrote:
Astromanía wrote:A May and December storm if happens will be not more than a weak td or ts

As we've seen from Daniel in the Mediterranean, a TS can be very damaging.

Especially if the public is not prepared for it. And while most of the North Atlantic basin is thankfully better prepared for tropical threats than the likes of Libya and Greece, being off-season certainly hurts the level of public awareness and alertness.

Astromanía wrote:developing far from land in most cases

I disagree, plenty of off-season storms affected land. 6 out of 10 off-season storms since 2015 (start of the 6-year pre-season streak) affected land: Ana 2015, Bonnie 2016, Alberto 2018, Arthur 2020, Bertha 2020, One 2023.

Don't forget 1952 as well! I'd love to see what that thing looked like on sat and how it developed in feb. Probably looked similar to tropical storm Mitch in 1998 when it chugged along and hit swfl.

I think storms like Nicole or Kate will become more common.
0 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#106 Postby CFLHurricane » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:30 am

Not to be contrarian, but the peak of the season hasn’t really changed much. Things don’t really kick off until the second half of August and sharply taper once November hits. Expanding the season would only serve to numb an already apathetic public.
4 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:37 am

If you use a binomial distribution between the amount of Hurricanes that form over a period of time, it's still not necessary to expand it.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby psyclone » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:43 pm

How about no? the season is plenty long and the vast majority of storms fall within the season. If anything...it is helpful to think of the Atlantic season in a thinner context...like August through October. June,July and November are frequently throw away months as it is.
4 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#109 Postby Ianswfl » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:33 pm

psyclone wrote:How about no? the season is plenty long and the vast majority of storms fall within the season. If anything...it is helpful to think of the Atlantic season in a thinner context...like August through October. June,July and November are frequently throw away months as it is.

But if water temps are warm enough in the gulf there is no reason we can't get more activity with stalled fronts and such.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#110 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:44 pm

First hurricane of the season has actually trended later into August. We're seeing earlier storms named because of the naming of subtropical storms and better detection combined with changing naming criteria. No reason to make adjustments. NHC already starts the outlook on May 15th. If there's a storm before then, then advisories will still be issued.
5 likes   

Jonny
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#111 Postby Jonny » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:59 pm

I think it would make sense for "hurricane season" to start earlier, but still end on 11/30.
0 likes   
Storm History: Erin '95, Opal '95, Danny '97, Georges '98, Ivan '04, Dennis '05

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”