Maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

Maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season

#1 Postby WalterWhite » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:27 pm

This post will seek to determine the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season both theoretically and practically. The most active year for each month in terms of storm count, hurricane count, and major hurricane count will be used. For instance, September 2020 was the most active September on record in terms of storm count with 10 storms, so the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season will be assumed to have 10 storms in September.

THEORETICAL LIMIT

For the theoretical limit, the following conditions must be met:

1. Extremely warm Atlantic SSTs to ensure storms have enough energy to form and intensify (beyond 2023 levels of warmth)
  2. A strong, early-setting La Niña background state that prevents the Madden-Julian Oscillation from creating periods of inactivity
  3. Extreme luck regarding subtropical cyclogenesis in the off-season

January: 1 storm, 1 hurricane, 0 major hurricanes (2016)
February: 1 storm, 0 hurricanes, 0 major hurricanes (1952)
March: 1 storm, 0 hurricanes, 0 major hurricanes (1908)
April: 1 storm, 0 hurricanes, 0 major hurricanes (2017)
May: 2 storms, 1 hurricane, 0 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 1970 for hurricanes)
June: 3 storms, 2 hurricanes, 1 major hurricane (2023 for storms, 1968 for hurricanes, 1966 for major hurricanes)
July: 5 storms, 3 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes (2005)
August: 8 storms, 5 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes (2004)
September: 10 storms, 5 hurricanes, 4 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 2005 for hurricanes, 2017 for major hurricanes)
October: 8 storms, 5 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes (1950 for storms, 2010 for hurricanes, 2020 for major hurricanes)
November: 3 storms, 3 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 2001 for hurricanes, 2020 for major hurricanes)
December: 2 storms, 1 hurricane, 0 major hurricanes (1887)
Total: 45 storms, 21 hurricanes, 15 major hurricanes

PRACTICAL LIMIT

For the practical limit, the following conditions must be met:

1. Extremely warm Atlantic SSTs to ensure storms have enough energy to form and intensify (beyond 2023 levels of warmth)
  2. A strong La Niña background state that prevents the the Madden-Julian Oscillation from creating periods of inactivity during the late season

Practically speaking, however, the Madden-Julian Oscillation will inevitably create areas of rising and sinking air during spring and summer in the Northern Hemisphere. Data indicates that favorable Madden-Julian Oscillation phases (i.e. Phases I-IV) are twice as active as unfavorable Madden-Julian Oscillation phases (i.e. Phases V-VIII). (Source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 23GL102762)

Because the Madden-Julian Oscillation has a full period of roughly two months during Northern Hemisphere spring and summer (i.e. the duration between two favorable periods is roughly two months) and because favorable MJO phases are generally twice as active as unfavorable MJO phases, the activity for the months of March, April, May, June, July, and August will each be reduced by 25%. The maximum theoretical Atlantic hurricane activity for these months is 19 storms, 11 hurricanes, and 6 major hurricanes. However, applying the reduction gives 15 storms, 9 hurricanes, and 5 major hurricanes. The other months are not affected because it is assumed the La Niñá background state would overpower the Madden-Julian Oscillation.

This reduction reduces the total storm count by 4, the total hurricane count by 2, and the total major hurricane count by 1, leading to a practical limit of 41 storms, 19 hurricanes, and 14 major hurricanes.
5 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season

#2 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:17 pm

WalterWhite wrote:This post will seek to determine the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season both theoretically and practically. The most active year for each month in terms of storm count, hurricane count, and major hurricane count will be used. For instance, September 2020 was the most active September on record in terms of storm count with 10 storms, so the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season will be assumed to have 10 storms in September.

THEORETICAL LIMIT

2. A strong, early-setting La Niña background state that prevents the Madden-Julian Oscillation from creating periods of inactivity

May: 2 storms, 1 hurricane, 0 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 1970 for hurricanes)
June: 3 storms, 2 hurricanes, 1 major hurricane (2023 for storms, 1968 for hurricanes, 1966 for major hurricanes)
September: 10 storms, 5 hurricanes, 4 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 2005 for hurricanes, 2017 for major hurricanes)
October: 8 storms, 5 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes (1950 for storms, 2010 for hurricanes, 2020 for major hurricanes)
November: 3 storms, 3 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes (2020 for storms, 2001 for hurricanes, 2020 for major hurricanes)

PRACTICAL LIMIT

2. A strong La Niña background state that prevents the the Madden-Julian Oscillation from creating periods of inactivity during the late season

Practically speaking, however, the Madden-Julian Oscillation will inevitably create areas of rising and sinking air during spring and summer in the Northern Hemisphere. Data indicates that favorable Madden-Julian Oscillation phases (i.e. Phases I-IV) are twice as active as unfavorable Madden-Julian Oscillation phases (i.e. Phases V-VIII). (Source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 23GL102762)

Because the Madden-Julian Oscillation has a full period of roughly two months during Northern Hemisphere spring and summer (i.e. the duration between two favorable periods is roughly two months) and because favorable MJO phases are generally twice as active as unfavorable MJO phases, the activity for the months of March, April, May, June, July, and August will each be reduced by 25%. The maximum theoretical Atlantic hurricane activity for these months is 19 storms, 11 hurricanes, and 6 major hurricanes. However, applying the reduction gives 15 storms, 9 hurricanes, and 5 major hurricanes. The other months are not affected because it is assumed the La Niñá background state would overpower the Madden-Julian Oscillation.

This reduction reduces the total storm count by 4, the total hurricane count by 2, and the total major hurricane count by 1, leading to a practical limit of 41 storms, 19 hurricanes, and 14 major hurricanes.

I think by 2030 - 2035 we're likely to see a season at or near these numbers, mostly due to damn global warming
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:20 pm

I will also mention that if we were to see these kinds of seasons with more than 40 named storms, then the Atlantic naming system is almost certainly going to have to become WPAC-like.
5 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Ianswfl » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:25 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:This post will seek to determine the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season both theoretically and practically. The most active year for each month in terms of storm count, hurricane count, and major hurricane count will be used. For instance, September 2020 was the most active September on record in terms of storm count with 10 storms, so the maximally active possible Atlantic hurricane season will be assumed to have 10 storms in September.

THEORETICAL LIMIT

PRACTICAL LIMIT

I think by 2030 - 2035 we're likely to see a season at or near these numbers, mostly due to damn global warming

Why I also think We will see FL get more TS and hurricane in Nov, and maybe landfalling tropical storms in December sometimes. When the waters stay warmer longer.
0 likes   

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Hurricanehink » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:29 am

Ianswfl wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:I think by 2030 - 2035 we're likely to see a season at or near these numbers, mostly due to damn global warming

Why I also think We will see FL get more TS and hurricane in Nov, and maybe landfalling tropical storms in December sometimes. When the waters stay warmer longer.

We saw that when 2020 had two Category 4 hurricanes in November, when there were previously only a handful of majors in the month. And speaking of Eta in 2020, does it and Nicole in 2022 mean the start of a new trend for later storms affecting the US?
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:47 am

Hurricanehink wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:I think by 2030 - 2035 we're likely to see a season at or near these numbers, mostly due to damn global warming

We saw that when 2020 had two Category 4 hurricanes in November, when there were previously only a handful of majors in the month. And speaking of Eta in 2020, does it and Nicole in 2022 mean the start of a new trend for later storms affecting the US?

It's interesting how, despite the later hurricanes we've seen in recent years and earlier storm formations, we aren't really seeing intense hurricanes any earlier. There hasn't been a June hurricane since 2012, or a June major hurricane since 1966. There also hasn't been a single major hurricane in the Atlantic basin before August 20th in over a decade.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:01 am

CyclonicFury wrote:
Hurricanehink wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:

It's interesting how, despite the later hurricanes we've seen in recent years and earlier storm formations, we aren't really seeing intense hurricanes any earlier. There hasn't been a June hurricane since 2012, or a June major hurricane since 1966. There also hasn't been a single major hurricane in the Atlantic basin before August 20th in over a decade.

There are definitely speculations that the Atlantic hurricane season might be becoming more backloaded.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:21 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:
Hurricanehink wrote:

There are definitely speculations that the Atlantic hurricane season might be becoming more backloaded.

Mark Suddith has mentioned this too and theories. Could be because more heat in the summer. More sinking air due to more heat. While it makes the sst boil the air like drier. As it cools down and the sst cool a tad we have better conditions. Could be why hurricane season is more active later now.
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Teban54 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:52 pm

Ianswfl wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:It's interesting how, despite the later hurricanes we've seen in recent years and earlier storm formations, we aren't really seeing intense hurricanes any earlier. There hasn't been a June hurricane since 2012, or a June major hurricane since 1966. There also hasn't been a single major hurricane in the Atlantic basin before August 20th in over a decade.

Mark Suddith has mentioned this too and theories. Could be because more heat in the summer. More sinking air due to more heat. While it makes the sst boil the air like drier. As it cools down and the sst cool a tad we have better conditions. Could be why hurricane season is more active later now.

A question I have with this kind of theories is: Is it actually a change in long-term pattern, or just sheer luck?

The years 2006-2015 saw no Cat 5s, no CONUS major hurricane landfalls, and no Florida hurricane landfalls. People were thinking that would be the new norm, and even thought we were moving to a -AMO era. But since 2016, we've had 8 Cat 5s, 8 CONUS MH landfalls and 7 Florida H landfalls.

Even earlier this year, some pro mets were suggesting theories like "hurricanes transfer heat from the tropics to the subtropics, but with the subtropics being so warm, is there still a need for that" to support their forecasts of a below-average hurricane season.
2 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

A question I have with this kind of theories is: Is it actually a change in long-term pattern, or just sheer luck?

The years 2006-2015 saw no Cat 5s, no CONUS major hurricane landfalls, and no Florida hurricane landfalls. People were thinking that would be the new norm, and even thought we were moving to a -AMO era. But since 2016, we've had 8 Cat 5s, 8 CONUS MH landfalls and 7 Florida H landfalls.

Even earlier this year, some pro mets were suggesting theories like "hurricanes transfer heat from the tropics to the subtropics, but with the subtropics being so warm, is there still a need for that" to support their forecasts of a below-average hurricane season.

I think that was luck too. Ike could been hell of a lot strong had it not decided to take a trip over Cuba. Isaac 2012 could have been a lot stronger as well if not for that land interaction. Ike could been a monster had it gone north or south of Cuba. I mean a cat4 or cat5. Had Ike went through the Fl Straits instead. :eek:
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:34 pm

It's all random in my opinion.. I also think that high number of majors is a fantasy. Here's a good reason storms will now be limited along the east coast, possibly for the rest of the season.

https://x.com/RyanMaue/status/1703829389220147467

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

tolakram wrote:It's all random in my opinion.. I also think that high number of majors is a fantasy. Here's a good reason storms will now be limited along the east coast, possibly for the rest of the season.

Besides that's the east coast, gets cooler anyway. What about the Gulf. We could have a Kate 1985 this year with the hot water temps if upper level winds are favorable.
0 likes   

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby WalterWhite » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:39 pm

tolakram wrote:It's all random in my opinion.. I also think that high number of majors is a fantasy. Here's a good reason storms will now be limited along the east coast, possibly for the rest of the season.

It is not entirely random, though. Conditions obviously influence certain seasons to have more storms than others. You would obviously expect a higher storm count, hurricane count, major hurricane count, and ACE from a season with a warm Atlantic and a cool equatorial Pacific than you would from a season with a cool Atlantic and a warm equatorial Pacific.
0 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby al78 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:11 pm

For a massively hyperactive season:

June-July conditions like 2005.
August-September conditions like 2004.
October-November conditions like 2020.
December conditions like 2005.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:58 am

Teban54 wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

There were two Cat 5's in 2007, both of which made landfall at that intensity
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:11 am

Hammy wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
Ianswfl wrote:

Oops, I misremembered. But 2008-2015 is still quite a long steak without Cat 5s (though it can be argued that Igor might have been one).

The Cat 5 drought resulted in posts like this. There were multiple similar threads during those years with these unusually long streaks, such as the AMO thread.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:36 pm

I have wondered how much storms the Atlantic can produce. I know West Pacific have the most storms. They can go as high as 39 storms. West Pacific is larger and the area of warm water is larger compared to the Atlantic.

I would not be surprised prior to satellite that there have been over 30 storms in the Atlantic.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:40 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Teban54 wrote:A question I have with this kind of theories is: Is it actually a change in long-term pattern, or just sheer luck?

Oops, I misremembered. But 2008-2015 is still quite a long steak without Cat 5s (though it can be argued that Igor might have been one).

The Cat 5 drought resulted in posts like this. There were multiple similar threads during those years with these unusually long streaks, such as the AMO thread.

2007 had Dean and Felix. Both made landfall as Category 5 hurricanes, which is a rarity.

I think there were Category 5 hurricanes between 2008 to 2015. I am thinking Gustav (2008), Igor (2010), and Joaquin (2015).

Same goes with before the 2000s.
1 likes   

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#19 Postby Ianswfl » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:46 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:I have wondered how much storms the Atlantic can produce. I know West Pacific have the most storms. They can go as high as 39 storms. West Pacific is larger and the area of warm water is larger compared to the Atlantic.

I would not be surprised prior to satellite that there have been over 30 storms in the Atlantic.

1933 very likely had many more storms. Remember, no satellites back then so you know there were a lot of storms not counted.

Also 1969. that was still the early days of satellite so I'm sure there were weak storms in the open atl not counted because satellites were not good enough back then to examine low level structures like they are now where junk storms are now named.
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Ianswfl wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:I have wondered how much storms the Atlantic can produce. I know West Pacific have the most storms. They can go as high as 39 storms. West Pacific is larger and the area of warm water is larger compared to the Atlantic.

1933 very likely had many more storms. Remember, no satellites back then so you know there were a lot of storms not counted.

Also 1969. that was still the early days of satellite so I'm sure there were weak storms in the open atl not counted because satellites were not good enough back then to examine low level structures like they are now where junk storms are now named.

It's funny you mention that. By the 70s it was quite the opposite, where systems were designated depressions purely for convection. Scatterometer satellites had yet to be developed. This led to inactive years like 1973 netting a whopping 24 depressions (only 8 became storms officially).
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”