Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA up on May 23rd at 10 AM EDT

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#141 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 pm

JetFuel_SE wrote:
crownweather wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Here's the full forecast from UPENN. Apparently it's based off a statistical model, which explains why it is so insanely high.
https://web.sas.upenn.edu/mannresearchg ... hurricane/
University of Pennsylvania EES scientists Dr. Michael E. Mann and Shannon Christiansen, and Penn State ESSC alumnus Dr. Michael Kozar have released their seasonal prediction for the 2024 North Atlantic hurricane season, which officially starts on 1 June and runs through 30 November.

The prediction is for 33.1 +/- 5.8 total named tropical cyclones, which corresponds to a range between 27 and 39 storms, with a best estimate of 33 named storms. This prediction was made using the statistical model of Kozar et al. (2012, see PDF here). This statistical model builds upon the past work of Sabbatelli and Mann (2007, see PDF here) by considering a larger number of climate predictors and including corrections for the historical undercount of events (see footnotes).

The assumptions behind this forecast are (a) the persistence of current North Atlantic Main Development Region (MDR) sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies (+1.9°C in April 2024 from NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch) throughout the 2024 hurricane season, (b) development of a moderate La Nina (Niño3.4 anomaly of -0.5°C) conditions in the equatorial Pacific in late Boreal summer and fall 2024 (ENSO forecasts here; we used mid-April 2023), and (c) climatological mean conditions for the North Atlantic Oscillation in Fall/Winter 2023-2024.

If neutral ENSO conditions (Niño3.4 anomaly of 0.0°C) take shape later in 2024, then the prediction will be lower: 30.5 +/- 5.5 storms (range of 25 – 36 storms, with a best guess of 31).

Using an alternative model that uses “relative” MDR SST (MDR SST with the average tropical mean SST subtracted) in place of MDR SST yields a lower prediction (19.9 +/- 4.5 total named storms). This alternative model also includes positive ENSO conditions.

Interesting that almost all of the previous best guess forecasts were either pretty close to actual numbers or too low of a forecast. Exceptions were 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016, but even these the forecast numbers were only 3-4 named storms too high.

Just to put things into perspective, 39 named storms would tie 1964's WPAC for the world record.

If there were 39 named storms, we would be close to running out of supplemental names. There are 21 supplemental names. The 2024 name and supplemental name list have a total of 42. I wonder what happens.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#142 Postby NotSparta » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:
JetFuel_SE wrote:
crownweather wrote:
Interesting that almost all of the previous best guess forecasts were either pretty close to actual numbers or too low of a forecast. Exceptions were 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016, but even these the forecast numbers were only 3-4 named storms too high.

Just to put things into perspective, 39 named storms would tie 1964's WPAC for the world record.

If there were 39 named storms, we would be close to running out of supplemental names. There are 21 supplemental names. The 2024 name and supplemental name list have a total of 42. I wonder what happens.

Greek letters after we run out of supplemental names:

5 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 am

To be fair, if we ever got to 39 NSs in the Atlantic (or god forbid exceed 42 lol), then I think the most plausible and reasonable scenario would be that the NHC decides to designate the 6 naming lists as independent of year and use them on a rolling basis like we do in the WPAC and Australian basins.

Clearly, if that happens then what would be the purpose of having a “supplemental” list? If the Atlantic somehow shocks us all and demonstrates it can be even more active than the most active basin on the planet?
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#144 Postby chaser1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 am

If/when this happens, we simply begin using ALL the names of NHC employees. 'Course, if they're not all that onboard with the idea..... then lets just get jiggy with it and start naming tropical cyclones after all of our country's past presidents or perhaps past Pope's (well, the latter might result in a bit of an Italian flair to the season LOL)
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#145 Postby ouragans » Tue May 07, 2024 8:25 pm

INSMET (Cuba) published today their forecast

20 TS
11 H

https://twitter.com/cnp_insmet_cuba/status/1787893204114628906

1 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#146 Postby Nuno » Thu May 09, 2024 8:02 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:To be fair, if we ever got to 39 NSs in the Atlantic (or god forbid exceed 42 lol), then I think the most plausible and reasonable scenario would be that the NHC decides to designate the 6 naming lists as independent of year and use them on a rolling basis like we do in the WPAC and Australian basins.

Clearly, if that happens then what would be the purpose of having a “supplemental” list? If the Atlantic somehow shocks us all and demonstrates it can be even more active than the most active basin on the planet?

I have long been a proponent of this. The current protocol of starting at letter "A" was started due to the usage of the Joint Army/Navy radiotelephony spelling alphabet, yet as any S2k lurker or weather enthusiast by now is well aware, the "I" storm curse is merely just peak season lining up at that part of the alphabet every year. Instead of having to "worry" (I use that term lightly lol) about the alphabet running out and the auxiliary lists, we really should just adopt the rolling-list method.
3 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 11, 2024 8:47 am

Nuno wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:To be fair, if we ever got to 39 NSs in the Atlantic (or god forbid exceed 42 lol), then I think the most plausible and reasonable scenario would be that the NHC decides to designate the 6 naming lists as independent of year and use them on a rolling basis like we do in the WPAC and Australian basins.

I have long been a proponent of this. The current protocol of starting at letter "A" was started due to the usage of the Joint Army/Navy radiotelephony spelling alphabet, yet as any S2k lurker or weather enthusiast by now is well aware, the "I" storm curse is merely just peak season lining up at that part of the alphabet every year. Instead of having to "worry" (I use that term lightly lol) about the alphabet running out and the auxiliary lists, we really should just adopt the rolling-list method.

I agree. I mean don't get me wrong I fully understand why the Atlantic uses an alphabetical order list of names (it's easy to keep track of storm number, we've been doing this for nearly 70 years, etc.), but also the rolling list of names guarantees that you will never run out of names no matter how freakish of a season you have, and it also would definitely alleviate the I curse.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

wwizard
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#148 Postby wwizard » Sat May 11, 2024 10:17 pm

You could add Q, U, X, Y, Z and rotate them with I where each letter is on the list once every 6 years. Example, next year there's no I storm on the list and instead there's a Q name. 2026, replace Q with U and so on. The next time I appears would be 2030.
0 likes   
Alicia, Allison, Ike, Harvey

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA up on May 23 at 10 AM EDT

#149 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm

NOAA will release their outlook on may 23 at 10 AM EDT.

https://twitter.com/NOAAComms/status/1790034605300490342

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA up on May 23 at 10 AM EDT

#150 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 pm

I'm expecting a NS range that goes into the 20s, a H range that goes into the 10s, and a MH range that includes 6 and 7 as possibilities. :lol:
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#151 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:19 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm expecting a NS range that goes into the 20s, a H range that goes into the 10s, and a MH range that includes 6 and 7 as possibilities. :lol:

19 - 25 Tropical Storms
8 - 13 Hurricanes
3 - 6 Major Hurricanes
90% chances of above-normal activity
10% chances of near-normal activity
:sun:
0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA up on May 23rd at 10 AM EDT

#152 Postby Beef Stew » Tue May 14, 2024 1:38 pm

NOAA’s forecast will be interesting; I think it will be something along the lines of:

15-22 NS
7-12 H
4-6 M

75% Above Normal
15% Near Normal
10% Below Normal
0 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Expert Forecasts for the 2024 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA up on May 23rd at 10 AM EDT

#153 Postby StPeteMike » Tue May 14, 2024 2:33 pm

Beef Stew wrote:NOAA’s forecast will be interesting; I think it will be something along the lines of:

15-22 NS
7-12 H
4-6 M

75% Above Normal
15% Near Normal
10% Below Normal

Seems in the ballpark of what we should expect from NOAA next week. Unsure what the highest forecast for named storms is from NOAA, but I think we will see one of the highest forecast from NOAA we have seen yet.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#154 Postby Beef Stew » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 pm

StPeteMike wrote:
Beef Stew wrote:NOAA’s forecast will be interesting; I think it will be something along the lines of:

15-22 NS
7-12 H
4-6 M

75% Above Normal
15% Near Normal
10% Below Normal

Seems in the ballpark of what we should expect from NOAA next week. Unsure what the highest forecast for named storms is from NOAA, but I think we will see one of the highest forecast from NOAA we have seen yet.

I think 2010 holds the record for their most aggressive forecast? It had an upper limit of 23 storms if I remember correctly. Someone (maybe Larry?) made a post in the past diving into the history of NOAA’s most bullish forecasts (and their verification scores); I think the top three were along the lines of 2006, 2010, and 2022.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#155 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm

Beef Stew wrote:
StPeteMike wrote:

15-22 NS
7-12 H
4-6 M

75% Above Normal
15% Near Normal
10% Below Normal

I think 2010 holds the record for their most aggressive forecast? It had an upper limit of 23 storms if I remember correctly. Someone (maybe Larry?) made a post in the past diving into the history of NOAA’s most bullish forecasts (and their verification scores); I think the top three were along the lines of 2006, 2010, and 2022.

My post was about CSU’s as opposed to NOAA’s most bullish forecasts.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby skyline385 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:13 pm

Beef Stew wrote:
StPeteMike wrote:

15-22 NS
7-12 H
4-6 M

75% Above Normal
15% Near Normal
10% Below Normal

Just fyi, all of NHC/NOAA forecasts can be found here

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... hive.shtml

2010 was indeed the highest for a May forecast at 14-23 NS, then 2022 with 14-21 NS and finally 2013 (the dreaded year for mets :) ) with 13-20 NS.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”