Hurricane cone is changing for 2024

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Hurricane cone is changing for 2024

#1 Postby tolakram » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:02 am

The hurricane cone is changing this upcoming hurricane season! Instead of a track forecast, the forecast will now include hazards. What you can expect where you live. This change was unveiled at #OSSTahoe.
@EdgewoodTahoe

Here is the info:
https://click2houston.com/weather/2024/01/23/houston-is-going-to-see-a-different-hurricane-forecast-this-year/

https://x.com/KPRC2Anthony/status/1750217788009144620

7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricane cone is changing for 2024

#2 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:09 pm

The product keeps improving, I welcome this as many people think wind and coastal surge are the only problems but flooding rain is another big problem
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 am

Here is a video from one of Puerto Ricos mets conversation with Jaime Rhome of NHC about the new cone and more. Most is in English.

https://twitter.com/adamonzon/status/1751199499978985666

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby IsabelaWeather » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:20 pm

Honestly, I don't like it. I guess we will see when we get an actual storm on how it looks, but it looks far too " busy" based on the photos. Really seems to take away from what the cone represented. It was strictly to show the potential path, the watches and warnings told where people lived exactly what to expect...I dont understand why the cone we had used for years caused the average person so many issues, it wasnt exactly complicated.
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:57 pm

IsabelaWeather wrote:Honestly, I don't like it. I guess we will see when we get an actual storm on how it looks, but it looks far too " busy" based on the photos. Really seems to take away from what the cone represented. It was strictly to show the potential path, the watches and warnings told where people lived exactly what to expect...I dont understand why the cone we had used for years caused the average person so many issues, it wasnt exactly complicated.

People thought that in the cone meant it was a certain hit which in most cases isn’t true but was a probability cone
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Teban54 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
IsabelaWeather wrote:Honestly, I don't like it. I guess we will see when we get an actual storm on how it looks, but it looks far too " busy" based on the photos. Really seems to take away from what the cone represented. It was strictly to show the potential path, the watches and warnings told where people lived exactly what to expect...I dont understand why the cone we had used for years caused the average person so many issues, it wasnt exactly complicated.

People thought that in the cone meant it was a certain hit which in most cases isn’t true but was a probability cone

The cone isn't even a statement of probability or confidence interval for the specific storm. It just means that when averaged across all storms in recent history, the track error has a 67% chance of falling within the cone. No specifics are applied to this particular system: whether every single model shows the storm landfalling in New Orleans 5 days out, or whether the spaghetti plot spreads from Houston to Tampa, the cone will look the same -- whereas the actual situation and preparations needed are very different.

Hazardous effects can also occur well outside of the center of the storm and outside the cone, and those effects are often asymmetrical (the east side is typically the worst). Those are not captured when both the NHC and most news channels primarily use the cone (with a focus of the storm's center) in their communications.
1 likes   

IsabelaWeather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby IsabelaWeather » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:07 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

The cone isn't even a statement of probability or confidence interval for the specific storm. It just means that when averaged across all storms in recent history, the track error has a 67% chance of falling within the cone. No specifics are applied to this particular system: whether every single model shows the storm landfalling in New Orleans 5 days out, or whether the spaghetti plot spreads from Houston to Tampa, the cone will look the same -- whereas the actual situation and preparations needed are very different.

Hazardous effects can also occur well outside of the center of the storm and outside the cone, and those effects are often asymmetrical (the east side is typically the worst). Those are not captured when both the NHC and most news channels primarily use the cone (with a focus of the storm's center) in their communications.

I do think the cone should have been adjusted per confidence level though, I think if they made that change it probably would have helped with public awareness. Like, if the models and NHC is really confident, then the track would show less variation, but if confidence was low it would be bigger, I dont understand the standardized size on every storm.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby tolakram » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:02 am

IsabelaWeather wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

I do think the cone should have been adjusted per confidence level though, I think if they made that change it probably would have helped with public awareness. Like, if the models and NHC is really confident, then the track would show less variation, but if confidence was low it would be bigger, I dont understand the standardized size on every storm.

I agree with this. A static cone size of statistical forecast accuracy is something I just don't understand. Make the graphic show the forecast and confidence in that forecast.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:41 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:18 pm

1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby SFLcane » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm

0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby johngaltfla » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 pm

To be honest, I expected the change to mean the cone would always include the state of Florida, even it if a storm formed in the Bay of Bengal.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby chaser1 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 am

:lol: I enjoyed that immensely!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”