Some Old Hurricane Art (+ Bonus Supercell)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Some Old Hurricane Art (+ Bonus Supercell)

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 pm

Hi. You probably remember me as the person who posts weird art and writing involving sapient hurricanes. I normally would wait until hurricane season to post but I'm having my weather obsession come back right now after it disappeared for a while and I wanted to post something while I'm in this kind of mood.

Sorry for disappearing for a few years. I was busy wrapping up my PhD and then getting settled into a postdoctoral position. I basically wasn't thinking at all about weather, just astrophysics, so I didn't do any new weather-related art.

I haven't had the chance to make any new art yet, but I do have some old art I never posted here that I thought I might share.

Here is an old comic where Hurricane Andrew (the one with the headband) asks the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 (the one with the helmet) whether hurricanes should say they are hungry or thirsty when they want more warm seawater.

I was partially inspired by a Tumblr post that said "do you ever get water hungry?" and someone was like "You mean thirsty?" and the OP said "No, water hungry."

As a bonus, here is an other old comic that has new relevance now that I live in Dixie Alley:

I was thinking of how Goku in Dragon Ball rides on a cloud called "the flying nimbus" but the cloud just looks like a generic cumulus cloud. So my thoughts went to "what if it was an *actual* nimbus cloud like a cumulonimbus" which then became "personal supercell mothership." I must admit I've always found it a little weird that every thundercloud in fiction looks like a generic cumulus cloud, as you can get cumulonimbus clouds that look super-imposing, like an emperor wearing a crown.

I do have a big new story set in the same universe as the "Harvey Diaries" story but I'm probably going to wait until June to post a link here (since this season is supposed to be a doozy I feel like maybe by August some of you guys will have gotten hit by something and not in the mood).
6 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”