think Bermuda had anything to do with the naming?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
mamadude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

think Bermuda had anything to do with the naming?

#1 Postby mamadude » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:09 am

If Bermuda had not been a target of Ana, and was no threat to land, do you think they would have left this system alone and just let it went as another of there "MANY" un named "gale" centers?
I think they would have blown it off it it wasnt so close to Bermuda, just my opinion however
0 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

most likely yes

#2 Postby mitchell » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:18 am

Perhaps with Ana, perhaps not, but in general I agree that proximity to land is a factor. The naming of borderline systems is a subjective matter. Since public safety is governmental concern, they would be acting irrationally if they did not consider it.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:25 am

I think that Bermuda was a big factor for naming this system because of the safety concerns that the NHC has.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ColdFront77

#4 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:08 pm

Subtropical storms weren't named until last year. If this were 2001, this system would never have been declared "Subtropical Storm Ana."
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Colin » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:14 pm

That's interesting, Tom... I think that it was a good idea to have Sub-Tropical Storm names -- now, do they have separate lists for Sub-Tropical and Tropical Storms?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#6 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:48 pm

Hello Colin.

There is only one list of names for each hurricane season. If a tropical depression became a tropical storm in late June, it would of been named Ana.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”