Do you think ANA was pure tropical or not?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 14

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:36 pm

Yes it is tropical in my view because although the waters are not too warm up there (Low 70's) convection has been near the center trying to wrap around all the time and winds haved increased near the center so the folks of the NHC who have all the factors to analize at their disposal made the desision to classifie it as a pure tropical system and because of that history has been made being the first tropical system to form in april.

But what is the opinions of all about this debate of classifying ana as a pure tropical storm?
Last edited by cycloneye on Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

#2 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:48 pm

Well from looking at the latest Satelites i would have to say she is tropical...And as well from the surface reports........Kinda amazing in two ways one beeing of course this beeing April and having a tropical system and the other beeing them water temps in the low 70s....Probably something we wont see again for a long time.....
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:26 pm

Agree that what we are seeing this 2003 will not happen again in our lifetime.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:38 pm

Tropical all the way
0 likes   

Anonymous

#5 Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:54 pm

It completely seperated from all frontal features, and maintained convection around its center for over 12 hours. Tropical.
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:01 pm

Yes luis this is the first time a tropical storm has formed in april and from what I hear april is the least likely month for development worldwide!!!! What an anamoly :wink: I think it's AWESOME!!!!
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby PTrackerLA » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:14 pm

A truly historic event! I wonder what will happen when it's actually hurricane season.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#8 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:22 pm

Great! A meteorological historical occurrence... The first April tropical system in recorded history. All meteorologists, weather enthusiasts and others interested in historical events really love this. :D
0 likes   

nwmwhc forecaster 2

#9 Postby nwmwhc forecaster 2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:56 pm

Yes it is pure tropical..........
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Stormsfury » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:08 pm

Ana was very indeed pure tropical in regards to structural development, despite SST's being nowhere near the normal 80º threshold.

Ana, the very first North Atlantic Tropical Storm on record since 1851 (I checked the analogs from 1851-1885 and found no development in April or for that matter From January-April)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Thanks again StormsFury for bringing those stats and records because in moments like this one that made history those documents are very important. :)
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Stormsfury » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:37 pm

cycloneye wrote:Thanks again StormsFury for bringing those stats and records because in moments like this one that made history those documents are very important. :)

You're welcome, Cycloneye ...
Speaking of that, I need to update soon (when I can ever get some spare time, to update 2000, 2001, and 2002 )-

Waiting to see if 2003 will continue the double digit storm numbers - which could also set an unprecedented record for most consecutive years with seasons of 10 or more storms. (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002).
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby southerngale » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:02 am

Certainly looked tropical
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Derek Ortt

#14 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:28 pm

Absolutely NOT!

Too even mention this Ana was ever purely tropical leaves some to think about whether or not we all remember what a pure trop is. It was minly tropical, but never was purely tropical in that it has an UL aloft, instead of a UH and the convection was not origniating around the center, but instead away from the center and was wrapping into the center. In addition, if there were GPS dropsondes available for Ana, I'd look at the temp gradient and I can guarantee that the core would only be weakly warm, at best.

Tropical? Probably
Purely Tropical? Not even close
0 likes   

Anonymous

#15 Postby Anonymous » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:32 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:Absolutely NOT!

Too even mention this Ana was ever purely tropical leaves some to think about whether or not we all remember what a pure trop is. It was minly tropical, but never was purely tropical in that it has an UL aloft, instead of a UH and the convection was not origniating around the center, but instead away from the center and was wrapping into the center. In addition, if there were GPS dropsondes available for Ana, I'd look at the temp gradient and I can guarantee that the core would only be weakly warm, at best.

Tropical? Probably
Purely Tropical? Not even close

Ana was not 100% tropical, I'll give you that. However, it had much more tropical characteristics than extratropical, and it was certainly tropical enough to be declared as such.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Stormsfury » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:14 pm

My choice of words of Purely Tropical was a bad assessment ... I should have said exactly what Supercane said ... that was my wrong on that ...
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#17 Postby Derek Ortt » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:20 pm

yeah, I was kind of misled by the title of the poll. It was tropical enough to be classified (though with subtrops getting named, I wouldnt have declared it to have been tropical until after the season, as I did at NWHHC), but it was never purely tropical
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”