QUESTION!!!

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
mamadude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

QUESTION!!!

#1 Postby mamadude » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:01 pm

OK if indeed ANA is truely tropical that dismisses the long going fact that SST needs to be 80 or higher, where ANA is now, the SST is in the low 70s at best, so the theory of 80+ water temp must be a thing of the past, I noticed last year a lot of storms developed in "relatively" cool waters, so whats up with that, maybe all these years we have been wrong about the 80 degree waters, maybe its 70 degree water needed or higher, not 80.....just curious if anyone else sees what Im trying to get to here
0 likes   

Anonymous

#2 Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:07 pm

Tropical storms can surive with ssts cooler than 80 degrees by thermodynamics.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:11 pm

TWW I think that you will have to explain what is thermdynamics because many people may not know what that is.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

mamadude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby mamadude » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:19 pm

I know what it is, I realize TS can survive in cooler water, but to actually form in cool water is my point
0 likes   

Anonymous

#5 Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:32 pm

In spite of the cool water temperatures, Ana was located in a favorable condition relative to an upper level low, which kept it from ventilating. Thus, Ana was able to sustain deep convection and briefly acquire tropical characteristics. Now just because we had a TS form in low 70 degree water doesn't mean the 78+ rule has to go down the drain. Ana forming in such cold SSTs is the exception, not the rule.
0 likes   

nwmwhc forecaster 2

#6 Postby nwmwhc forecaster 2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:00 pm

See if every thing else is good for forming a tropical system it can form with waters a little cooler some times...
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#7 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:09 pm

If the temp differences are suffieicent, we can get a storm over any SST

For reference, find an abstract on Hurricane Huron and you'll see how systems can have tropical characteristics over even colder SST's
0 likes   

nwmwhc forecaster 2

#8 Postby nwmwhc forecaster 2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:31 pm

I saw one storm that lasted in upper 60s?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”