GOM Blob

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:34 pm

Nice vis shot... Be patient.. Loads slow. http://www.sroach.org/images/gomconvection.gif
0 likes   

#22 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:34 pm

Bron - I will always remember Tropical Storm Allision two years ago - she was a blob and a pathetic looking blob as stated by some and she blew into a Tropical Storm - made landfall and the rest is history. First lesson in BLOBS - Bron - is don't ever ever turn your back on one. It might seem harmless and all the conditions to inhibit its growth - can disappear at the blink of an eye and you have a tropical system. Breinla and Bfez can back me up on this .... chad too!!!!!
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Amanzi » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:51 pm

LOL Ticka. I can remember the blob that was Allison! I am too keen to turn my back on anything that resembles a blob :lol:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:20 pm

http://www.tormenta.net/frame_page.asp? ... XNT20.KNHC

The Discussion from TPC is out but basiclly it not says anything of nothing tropical in nature at this time but what it says is that it is a divergent flow that is allowing that area to blow into a big thunderstorm complex.

But for sure plenty of rain will go to florida as this big mass begins to move east as the models show in their runs but no development so far from them but I dont expect any development from it because of the strong shear but hey never say never in the tropics and after Ana anything can happen so stay tuned here at the tropical board.
Last edited by cycloneye on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Amanzi » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:27 pm

Does anyone perhaps know how far south the "blob" will move before it crosses the FL peninsula?
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:29 pm

Im wondering the same amanzi

CYC, where can we see some shear maps at?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#27 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:51 pm

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/fl/discussion.html

Amanzi and all floridians here is the floridas discussion and rain is in the forecast for a big portion of florida as this shortwave trough moves east.

Chad I am trying to get a shear map here as soon as possible.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#28 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:01 pm

Chad here is the shear map.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real- ... wg8shr.GIF

It shows tight lines in the GOM that indicates strong shear from the west from 50-80 kts so unless that shear goes down I dont see nothing developing from it but it is interesting to see a large thunderstorm complex like this one and another thing to watch is if it persist for more than 24 hours.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby JQ Public » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:15 pm

whoa! this is gonna be an interesting season :P
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#30 Postby pojo » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:24 pm

Yes, there is a slight circulation associated with 'the blob', but nothing that I am too worried about. It will probably only be a rainmaker. Conditions may become more favorable, but we will have to wait and see what unfolds over the next couple of days. As of right now, the upper level shear looks to strong for anything to develop.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#31 Postby Kevin_Wx » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:24 pm

I have a strange feeling that this convective complex is going bring Florida a severe weather event...I'll look at the models when I have some time to spare.

IMPRESSIVE ANYWAYS! :o :o :o
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#32 Postby pojo » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:27 pm

THE MOST ACTIVE PORTION OF THE DISCUSSION AREA IS THE GLFMEX
WHERE A STRONG SUBTRPCL JET TO 100 KT EXTENDING FROM THE E
PACIFIC OVER N MEXICO IS NOW ENTERING THE W GLFMEX WITH A
COPIOUS PLUME OF MID/UPPER LEVEL MOISTURE STREAKING EWD. THE JET SPLITS NEAR THE BORDER OF S TEXAS WITH THE S STEAM MOVING SE TOWARD THE YUCATAN PENINSULA AND A DEVELOPING N STREAM EXTENDING FROM SE LOUISIANA TO S FLORIDA. THE FLOW BECOMES DIVERGENT WHERE THE JET SPLITS WHICH IS PROVIDING THE DYNAMICS/LIFT FOR A LARGE AREA OF NUMEROUS STRONG CONVECTION OVER THE CENTRAL GLFMEX ALONG A STATIONARY FRONT. SEE SURFACE SYNOPTIC FOR MORE DETAILS. THE DYNAMICS SUPPORTING THIS AREA ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE SLOWLY EWD
DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS THE NORTHERNMOST JET STREAK
STRENGTHENS ALLOWING THE ASSOCIATE CONVECTION TO PROPAGATE
EWD.

Doesn't look to promising.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:28 pm

MOST DEFINITELY ONE OF THE MOST IMPRESSIVE BLOBS I'VE EVER SEEN.
However, conditions are not good for development to occur, just as Cyc says. I am, however, watching this VERY CLOSELY, because as Ticka says the little blob I was watching 2 years ago turned into a monster tropical storm. Everyone including NHC was saying it was nothing and as I watched it closely I saw it all coming together despite some conditions that were not good for development. As Ticka says, the rest is history. I know Perry remembers our discussions of pre-Allison vividly and then...history. So, even though nothing of great import is expected of this system, nor am I predicting it at this time, like Cyc says, NEVER SAY NEVER IN THE TROPICS!

And the obvious is that much of S and Central FL will get a good dousing from this system as it crosses the peninsula. It will probably cross S FL with the "center" of the convection moving from a Ft. Myers to Fort Pierce line or maybe a little further south.
Last edited by vbhoutex on Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#34 Postby southerngale » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:28 pm

Wow! Impressive looking blob :o

Look out Florida!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Rainband

#35 Postby Rainband » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:35 pm

mf_dolphin wrote:I love BLOBS! Looks like someone is at least going to get some rain!
I love blobs too!!! I think this may give us some rain MF!!!
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#36 Postby southerngale » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:36 pm

Yeah David, I remember it all too well also. No chance for development...but it did. Then it was "a poor excuse for a tropical storm" as quoted from a local met here. Of course when everything was flooding, nobody here thought it was a poor excuse for a tropical storm!!

That is one storm I'll never forget!

I will forever watch blobs more closely. :wink:
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Anonymous

#37 Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:43 pm

Impressive blob? Yeah, but it won't go any further. It's just a strong divergence-related convection blow-up. Nothing out of the ordinary.

On a side note, the slight spin you see on visible satellite imagery is in the mid to upper levels of the atmosphere, rather than at the surface (you need a surface low for a TC to form).
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#38 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:45 pm

This is certainly a busy thread. I have read every post in it and just checked the Sumter, Marion and Northern Lake county forecasts from the Ruskin (Tampa Bay Area), Jacksonville and Melbourne, Florida National Weather Service offices, respectively and they all are continuing with a 20 to 30 percent chance of rain for this entire week.

Only Marion county's forecast says a 50 percent chance of rain for Thursday, which seems; which is just about 48 hours from now.

There is sure a reason to watch this system with shear at 90 to 100 knots. Storms have been over wind shear this high and wind shear has subsided. I have no reason to say that this would be the case with this one, but as weather enthusiasts we really like to discuss these large blobs. :D
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:46 pm

Nothing out of the ordinary.

She dosent look an "ordinary" april blob to me
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby PTrackerLA » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:47 pm

That is definately one of the biggest blobs I've seen in the GOM. If this were July, we would all be searching for the LLC :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”