Something Irking me

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby chadtm80 » Fri May 02, 2003 11:33 am

You guys are right, everyone is entitled to there opinions and can post about them here... That is something that is great about storm2k... But great_one is a TOTAL different story... He has lost alll privaleges here!
0 likes   

rainstorm

yep, i am raining here as well, hehe

#42 Postby rainstorm » Fri May 02, 2003 1:50 pm

wx247 wrote:I am confused. Rainstorm...are there 2 or are we speaking about the same one as if they were two? :?: Rainstorm...are you the same rainstorm as was on TWC? If so, I am sorry I didn't say howdy earlier. I remember you well. :)

lets all post our thoughts and enjoy the tropical season!!
0 likes   

rainstorm

no problem

#43 Postby rainstorm » Fri May 02, 2003 1:55 pm

Rainband wrote:
Derek Ortt wrote:RS is a ver good forecaster. I just hope she doesnt do something foolish like forecats for the clowns
Are those clowns..teenagers??..BTW Rainstorm I wasn't insulting your forecast abilities..just didn't know you forecasted :wink: Looking foward to hearing your imput this season. :D :D

lets hope we have some fun this season
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#44 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri May 02, 2003 4:09 pm

What I meant was that people who post things like they do shouldnt be allowed to post. Someone trying to convince others that things that are blatantly wrong should not be posting anywhere
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri May 02, 2003 4:18 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:What I meant was that people who post things like they do shouldnt be allowed to post. Someone trying to convince others that things that are blatantly wrong should not be posting anywhere

I understand Derek but in a free country the only options sometimes is to ignore idiots and hope others do the same. Like Chad said, we can prevent their drivel from being posted here but that's about it. :-)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#46 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 02, 2003 4:25 pm

I second Marshall about ignoring Great One and his many nicknames he uses.Here at storm2k he doesn't have a chance to come and disrupt this friendly and peace board because we can detect rapidly that it is him even if he changes 1000 times his nickname. :D
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri May 02, 2003 4:29 pm

Luis detects....Marshall bans=winning formula LOL
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 02, 2003 4:35 pm

LOL Marshall :D
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

ColdFront77

#49 Postby ColdFront77 » Fri May 02, 2003 4:41 pm

:lol:
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

A Technical Point Here

#50 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri May 02, 2003 7:16 pm

The naming protocols for storms in the various regions are governed by established treaties and International Organizations who alone have the authority to establish Who can name storms, when they can be named, when names can be retired, and the definitions of what the various types and classifications of storms may be etc.. Since the US is party to these agreements, the Government (and, according to the Constitution, the People) has (have) agreed to these protocols therefore First Amendment rights are not an issue here but the violation of naming protocols IS.

Steve
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri May 02, 2003 7:29 pm

I think you would have a tough time in court with your arguement Steve. A private citizen has the right to be an idiot. Since the idiot in question is not portraying himself to be an official source, he can call things whatever he wants. Now if his declaration was to cause harm then a case might be made for reckless endangerment. Other than than the best thing is to consider the source. Things that come from that source I usually flush! :-)
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

I Guess That

#52 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri May 02, 2003 11:12 pm

it's the old fashioned me (after all I AM a Senior Citizen) but I am somewhat of a stickler for rules at times.

Steve
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat May 03, 2003 7:47 am

You can see what we think of their forecasts ;-)
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby breeze » Sat May 03, 2003 9:07 am

I simply "lurk" in Tropics. I enjoy reading all of the
discussions from knowledgable members in an
attempt to further understand tropical weather.
I'm glad to see Admin "weed out" the folks that
post their illusions of grandeur!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#55 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 03, 2003 9:22 am

Breeze we know Great Ones personality and his site for tropical weather is a fraud and a joke because he doesn't have knowledge about all the factors that makes tropical weather.Also when he in the past few days said that a tropical depression will form of course that was a big lie because that low pressure was non-tropical all the way and more than that he posted a special statement looking like the NHC ones saying about that TD advisory OMG wow. :grrr: Imagine propagating false information during the peak of the season and there is a system out there threatening someplace that lives of many people are on the track of it.I think legal action should be taken against him and by the way he and others who are at that suspect team site are kids and teenagers.

But here we will not allow any of that and in fact he is banned from here but if he changes names to sneak in it will be detected rapidly. :)
0 likes   

Southernmost Weather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#56 Postby Southernmost Weather » Sat May 03, 2003 10:17 pm

Luis, I agree with you to a point. As stated in other posts, a case could be made for reckless endangerment if harm is caused and can be proven there was intent to cause harm. However, the best course of action might be to let NHC know about his site and let them make a determination. I looked at the site this evening and personally, I think the site owners haven't got a clue what they are doing. The mere fact that they say the NHC naming a subtropical system is BS turns me off immediately. Whatever we may think of the pros at NHC, the fact is, they are there and we are here.
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#57 Postby pojo » Sun May 04, 2003 1:33 am

Southernmost Weather wrote:Luis, I agree with you to a point. As stated in other posts, a case could be made for reckless endangerment if harm is caused and can be proven there was intent to cause harm. However, the best course of action might be to let NHC know about his site and let them make a determination. I looked at the site this evening and personally, I think the site owners haven't got a clue what they are doing. The mere fact that they say the NHC naming a subtropical system is BS turns me off immediately. Whatever we may think of the pros at NHC, the fact is, they are there and we are here.

Well put.

I'm generalizing here, but I have a gut instinct feeling that the site owners are all teenagers who think they know EVERYTHING about the Tropics. Many tropical systems even stun EXPERT forecasters (Lenny for example...West to East movement). No person, map or computer model can forecast the movement, speed and direction of the tropical system...only mother nature can do that. We can do our best to stay informed about what the system is doing.

Yes, I'm gaining knowledge about the tropics on a day by day basis, but I am also learning from the best (NHC, TWC, etc) and not so-called teenage expert forecasters. The best have (or are working towards) met degrees (in Derek's case)...these ladies and gentlemen have put time and effort into earning that degree...and they didn't become the best overnight...they had to work for it!

I hope the NHC does something about these so-called experts...what if their 'forecasts' get into the wrong hands...the result could be something drastic.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#58 Postby Kevin_Wx » Sun May 04, 2003 8:12 am

Southernmost Weather wrote:I hope the NHC does something about these so-called experts...what if their 'forecasts' get into the wrong hands...the result could be something drastic.

EXACTLY. That seems to be the concern of Derek. If there is one person who knows what could happen if those "forecasts" are taken seriously by the public, it's Derek.

And there ARE people who could take Great One's stuff seriously. Guess we'll see what happens.
Last edited by Kevin_Wx on Sun May 04, 2003 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#59 Postby Anonymous » Sun May 04, 2003 8:13 am

I'm generalizing here, but I have a gut instinct feeling that the site owners are all teenagers who think they know EVERYTHING about the Tropics. Many tropical systems even stun EXPERT forecasters (Lenny for example...West to East movement). No person, map or computer model can forecast the movement, speed and direction of the tropical system...only mother nature can do that. We can do our best to stay informed about what the system is doing.

Yes, I'm gaining knowledge about the tropics on a day by day basis, but I am also learning from the best (NHC, TWC, etc) and not so-called teenage expert forecasters. The best have (or are working towards) met degrees (in Derek's case)...these ladies and gentlemen have put time and effort into earning that degree...and they didn't become the best overnight...they had to work for it!

I hope the NHC does something about these so-called experts...what if their 'forecasts' get into the wrong hands...the result could be something drastic.

Agree. Great one and nwstorm still have A LOT to learn, and they are no where near ready to be making NHC-style forecasts. Their knowledge level is on the low side, yet, does the public know this? In some cases, NO! So what this eqauls is innocent people searching the web for cane info, and should they come across them 2's site, they might use it as a top source for info in the future. Not a good scenario.

Not sure if you or anyone else was also referring to TWW Kevin and I, but yes we are making unofficial hurricane forecasts this year as well. Believe me though, we are going to be making some SERIOUS bold disclaimers on all of our products to not use our stuff for life-death situations. Though we're still amateurs, we've had about 6 years of research before taking the step to forecasting (don't know how much research greatone and nwstorm have had, but I'm not going to guess). Don't get me wrong, we're still learning too. :lol:
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby chadtm80 » Sun May 04, 2003 8:18 am

Thankfully there website is so unprofesional looking, that most will just shrug them off.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”