Tropical Weather Groupies who like games....

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Tropical Weather Groupies who like games....

#1 Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:12 pm

I am looking to hold some type of tropical/hurricane contests this season - I would like some of ya'lls input on this - maybe so suggestions - nothing to complicated - where we might issue prizes to the one winner.

Please post in this thread.

Thanks,
Patricia
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 02, 2003 2:29 pm

A question may be:

How many landfalls will occur in the US coastline?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

eye of the storm
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby eye of the storm » Fri May 02, 2003 4:14 pm

How about first storm after June 1, where, and how strong :?:
0 likes   

BreinLa
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#4 Postby BreinLa » Mon May 05, 2003 8:07 am

How about where will the storm develope Gulf, Carribean, Atlantic?
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Amanzi » Mon May 05, 2003 10:35 am

Thats a good suggestion Bre.

Which area will give us our first named storm (well second one anyway cause Ana has already come and gone)
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby isobar » Mon May 05, 2003 10:57 am

How about 1st landfall? TS or higher, no depressions.

Give location, name, date, strength
Maybe weigh answers in that order?
0 likes   

rainydaze
Category 1
Category 1

Hurricane Games

#7 Postby rainydaze » Mon May 05, 2003 8:42 pm

Why don't you find an obscure Hurricane fact on a weather related web site. Then post a trivia question about that fact. All the members will have 24 hours to research/find the answer and whom ever answers it correctly wins!

Also, what about some type of Hurricane scavenger hunt. You can post like 10 items that members have to find on the internet. Something like, you post an image or fact or article and the members have to find and provide the link to that particular item you have listed. Does that even make sense?!!
Anyway, those are my ideas :)
0 likes   

#8 Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 8:07 am

Great idea guys and gals. I am making a list of different games we can play during the lull of the season - with rules and etc. Keep posting if you think of anything else to do.

Thanks,
Patricia
0 likes   

Rainband

#9 Postby Rainband » Tue May 06, 2003 3:15 pm

All great ideas!!!! :D
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby JCT777 » Thu May 08, 2003 8:51 am

isobar wrote:How about 1st landfall? TS or higher, no depressions.

Give location, name, date, strength
Maybe weigh answers in that order?

I like this idea! 8)
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Steve H. » Thu May 08, 2003 4:08 pm

All Good Ideas. Didn't we already give our first guess at when, where and how strong on the "first system?" Or was that OBE because of Ana coming before the official start of Hurricane season 2003 :?: Anyhow RainyDaze idea of scavenger hunt, or name the storm (from viewing the pictire would be entertaining. maybe a new "what's my line" would be good, wherein clues would be given out about a storm and guesses made to its identidy :idea: The clues would have to be tough though. Going over some data (at least beginning) for season 2003, and it may be kick a$$ folks. The reverssal of the pattern we had during the winter is taking shape (at least in the short term), and areas that were warm in the winter are becoming abnormally cold, such as the NE Pacific. This effect could really start aiding in the reduction of SSts in the central and western pacific, bringing an onset of neutral to LaNina conditions by August, as Luis has alluded to. SSTs in the Western Atlantic, Caribbean and GOM are coming up nicely, and a check of water temps at 5 pm EST shows at least 80 from off the Daytona Bch all the way round to the central GOM, with few exception at some buoys. This is interesting, cause last year we had an early spike of SSTs, but they dropped off in May before gradually rising later in June. I look for Bill to happen on or before June 21st in the Caribbean and maybe moving into the GOM as a Cat 1. IMHO we really need to be on guard this year. Like I said a coupla weeks ago, a season like '95/'96 isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Ridge is setting up nicely FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR across the Western and central atlantic. It will not suppress the ITCZ like it has in the past few years. Remember, we're in an era of more active seasons, and '95 was 8 years ago. The setup for an active season is looking better each day as we approach June 1st, not going the other way :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”