What cat #cane would you ride out?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

What cat# cane would you ride out?

Cat 1= 74-95 mph
19%
Cat 2=95-114 mph
38%
Cat 3 or higher=115 mph or greater
43%

Total votes: 21

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

What cat #cane would you ride out?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 06, 2003 10:07 am

Well after my 3 lifetime experiences here in Puerto Rico I would stay and ride until a cat 2 but cat 3 and higher I will go packing.
Last edited by cycloneye on Tue May 06, 2003 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

#2 Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 10:10 am

Just curious Ceye - where would you go? Being Puerto Rico is an island?

I would stay up to a cat 4 - just depends on alot of factors.

25 days and counting!!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 06, 2003 10:11 am

If a cat 3 or higher comes I would go to a shelter.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Derek Ortt

#4 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue May 06, 2003 10:53 am

As high as possible while being able to still put out the forecasts (or have another forecaster be able to put out the necessary products: it's the second landfall in the GOM that I'd have to worry about). I do know if a major comes into downtown Miami, I am looking for a new job as RSMAS is on Virginia Key, to the east of Miami
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Amanzi » Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 am

In the house I am in... I would have to say if a strong cat 1 came my way I would not chance staying here in this house. My property is surrounded by a creek for starters, and the roof is in very bad shape. If I was in a sturdier home I would stay for a cat 2.
0 likes   

jabber
Category 2
Category 2

Cat 3

#6 Postby jabber » Tue May 06, 2003 1:00 pm

House would be able to stand that. I would send the wife and kids packing for a cat 2 or higher.
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby GulfBreezer » Tue May 06, 2003 1:46 pm

Sitting here in nice weather, I would say I would ride out a cat 3, I rode out Erin and Opal and would stay for a 3 but there are a few factors that would have to be considered. Storm surge for one.....I am fairly close to the water. Being the brave one I am right this minute, cat 3, when one actually is knocking...........hhhmmm may change my mind. I was in Homestead during the aftermath of Andrew and would never like to see that kind of devastation up close and personal.
0 likes   

Kevin_Wx

#8 Postby Kevin_Wx » Tue May 06, 2003 2:03 pm

Well, lets see...

I was in Orlando in 1995 when Hurricane Erin came through. I believe the winds were around 65 knots at that time. Wasn't too bad, so based simply on experience, I would say I would ride out a category 3. It was scary as sh*t when Floyd up as a category 4 im 1999, and my family was considering going up to Tallahassee. So, probably nothing more than a 3.
0 likes   

Rainband

#9 Postby Rainband » Tue May 06, 2003 5:11 pm

Would depend if it was coming from the east or west.. I mean if it crossed the peninsula from the east coast or came in from the GOM..I live in a location where storm surge is the main issue..My house is really sturdy and has been here quite a while!!! 1936 to be exact..(I live in a restored Cracker house and love it to death :o ) :wink: I don't scare too easy so probably if it came in from the gulf CAT4 :roll: I think LOL :lol: :lol: There goes my wood floors :wink:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#10 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue May 06, 2003 8:04 pm

Luis, nice thread. 8)

I live in central Florida, so don't have much to worry about. I voted for "Cat. 2," probably should of chosen, "Cat. 3"... one of those quick votes again after viewing this thread earlier in the day.

I am sure could still get quite a storm from a "good sized hurricane." Hurricanes move much slower than New England Hurricane, such as Hurricane Bob and Hurricane Gloria.

I am looking forward, being a weather buff a strong tropical storm or a hurricane (preferable weak) to move just about overhead, if not overhead my location, similar to last year's Tropical Storm Edouard, which passed about five miles to my north, if that.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 06, 2003 8:11 pm

Well Tom if you remember Edouard last year that was a cloud with a shower and some gusts and that was it LOL.TWC sent a OCM to the beaches there to cover the system but he was with the sun and almost no wind reporting.LOL
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#12 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue May 06, 2003 10:55 pm

:lol: , Luis, at least it was something. :D I know what you mean... the track of Tropical Storm Eduoard was my point, not the intensity. :) Which I assume you understand.
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Tue May 06, 2003 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 06, 2003 11:12 pm

Nothing higher than a Cat1 for me. I stress out too much! Then again, I'd rather be some place nicer with air conditioning, a TV, hot food and hot water!
It's really eerie after a hurricane hits with no power and at night everything around you is pitch black and very quiet. And during the storm the wind howls for hours and hours and I can't see outside because we board up all our windows and doors.
0 likes   

Southernmost Weather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Southernmost Weather » Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 pm

I was in Key West for Georges which was said to be officially a Cat 2 storm. Some parts of the island experienced low Cat 3 conditions. I'll stay through it all. Shelters won't accept my pets which are part of my family. Plus, I'd rather try to protect my property. I'll take my chances.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby vbhoutex » Wed May 07, 2003 12:07 am

I'd stay up to a CAT4 coming in to my S or SW a little since I am about 50 miles inland. Alicia in '83 was a low CAT3 at landfall to our S and the eye came right over us. We experienced low Cat2 conditions at the house and a tornado.

CAT5-more than likely I'm headed to Austin!!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ColdFront77

#16 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 am

Hurricane Alica was the storm that developed very fast from a large cluster of thunderstorms (known as a Mesoscale Convective Complex [MCC]) in the west-central Gulf of Mexico.

A weak frontal trough drifted in the Northern Gulf of Mexico, which aided in the development of this MCC; it was seen 150 miles south of the Louisiana coast.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby isobar » Wed May 07, 2003 1:56 pm

For you brave souls who would ride out a cat 3, that's equivalent to being in an F2, only much longer duration. In light of the recent severe weather, would you care to rethink your decision?

The big difference is, you can prepare and board up ahead of time.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby cycloneye » Wed May 07, 2003 3:09 pm

Yes isobar you are right if an area is threatened by a cane with 5 days in advance you know from the start that a cane is out there but about tornadoes they form fast and move fast and people have little time to prepare.
0 likes   

#19 Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 4:00 pm

Cat 3 here..........Living thru a couple of noreasters at the coast which had winds in the cat 2 range a couple of times and had wind gust in the cat 2 range with Gloria i would stay for a 3 but anything higher and i am outa there......Main reason is the coastal flooding.............But if i was able to stay in a place that could withstand cat 5 winds and not be washed out to sea i would stay. :D
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby PTrackerLA » Wed May 07, 2003 6:04 pm

I would stay up until a cat 3. When Lili was threatening south Louisiana last October as a strong cat 4, my family and I considered leaving but I was insistent that we stay. We only experienced 80-90 mph winds with Lili so I really can't imagine what the cat. 4 winds would have done.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”