Hurricane protection.

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hurricane protection.

#1 Postby OuterBanker » Sat May 17, 2003 10:30 am

How many have protection for their windows. Just a little note on 29 years of experience. As most residents of hurricane prone areas I would nail up my plywood when we would receive watches (I learned that if you wait for warnings the wind will really give you fits when trying to manage 4 x 8 sheets of plywood). But after many years of doing this you get really, REALLY, tired of it. Although the invention of the cordless drill and screws has helped, plywood is still a real pita (pain in the ___). The thought of installing plywood in the wind and removing soaking wet 1/2 in thick plywood still haunts my memory. About 10 years ago local companies started to offer roll up shutters so we decided to install some across our business front. The main one measures 8 feet across our entrance and is motorized with two additional storefront crank ups. This ran around 6 k, they are easy and quick and don't require any installation. But they are cost prohibitive, the quote for doing the rest of my house and shop in roll ups was around 30k (10 years ago). A couple years later they came out with the first storm panels which were painted steel in manageable sizes which requires simple installation with pre installed channels and butterfly nuts. These were considerably less expensive and more protective. We installed these on two picture and two bay windows. Finally, after Andrew, they came up with what has turned out to be a standard 2 ¼" aluminum storm panel (most will bear a "dade county product control approved" stamp). At least some things good came out of Andrew, standards set by dade county seem to have been accepted by the insurance companies. These standards have lead to mass production of the aluminum panels and other materials (clear plastic, etc.) which are formed to the same shape all being interchangeable. This has lead to lower prices and competition. One of my concerns about storm panels were the windows that had to be accessed by ladders (i.e. second floor and above) because they have to be installed on the outside of the windows (again, memories of plywood nightmares). Problem solved, you install all the but last panel of each window by leaning out he window and attaching each (I guess this only works for casement and sliders, not crank outs, etc.) Then the last panel has a handle and pin which drops into place. No need for ladders, you will have to remove all the screens though. The aluminum panels are about half the cost of the clear panels and the most cost effective, but it does make the building like a tomb (just as in plywood). I would suggest buying a few clear panels and installing one or more panels in the windows that supply the most light, they are interchangeable with the aluminum panels. Panels take up a lot less space than plywood and are easy to handle (one person can install and remove). One final note. The cost of installing panels for the rest of my buildings as against roll ups was about one fifth the price. I hope this helps someone. PS: I do not own and am in no way associated with a hurricane protection company. Last but not least. We have not had to "board up" for three years in a row (the longest I can ever remember) and quite frankly I hope that I never have to use my storm panels again.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Sat May 17, 2003 1:59 pm

Great post Outerbanker. It provides good info. Where can one find these panels you talk about? It is the first I have heard of them. That may be because I'm 50 miles inland and don't think of boarding up as much as coastal residents must.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Lindaloo » Sat May 17, 2003 4:30 pm

I had those shutters installed a few years ago. All I have to do is push a button and mine roll down. It helps for the upstairs windows. I also had one installed to protect the pool.
0 likes   

Rainband

#4 Postby Rainband » Sat May 17, 2003 4:59 pm

I have the storm windows that will withstand hurricane force winds..3M I think they are awesome!!! I'd still board them up though..I haven't had to yet!!! :o :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”