Winds are blowing in GOM as bouy 42002 shows

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Winds are blowing in GOM as bouy 42002 shows

#1 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:32 am

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.p ... tion=42002

Pressures are steady as I said in the tropical update but it is blowing at a brisk pace there but no surface low so dar detected there but being the time of year in early june the GOM is favored so let's watch.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:17 am

I was noting that also Luis. That buoy is almost right under the large concentrated area of convection, probably in the middle of a storm. However if I look at that buoy later today and the wind direction is the same and the winds are continuing at the 30-40mph pace they are showing this am, then it will definitely be time to do further investigating to try and determine what, if anything, could be brewing. Nothing, as said in the tropical update, indicates we will have any development in the GOM ATT, but we must always watch concentrated areas of convection for possibilities at this time of year.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:32 am

Agree on watching this bouy during the day to see first the wind direction and second the pressures if they fall more than what they are this morning
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Rainband

#4 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:56 pm

This is a BIG IF..But if this delops where would it move?? Thanks for the info... :wink:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:17 pm

Rainband read the tropical update above.
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:26 pm

cycloneye wrote:Rainband read the tropical update above.
I meant if conditions became favorable which way would it move :wink:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:27 pm

Nice looking area of convection over the central Gulf of Mexico. It is currently moving eastward toward Florida. Something to monitor nearly 10% into the 2003 Hurricane Season.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:31 pm

Rainband Northnortheast but we have to see if a low forms and them after that where exactly it will move but that will be the general direction.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Steve » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:41 pm

Winds south or SSE at most of the TX buoys. Most of the winds further up the coast and off of LA are out of the East. The biggest pressure falls right now are at Buras and Southwest Pass, and those are running .01-.02 lower than yesterday. I'd say NOT DEVELOPING. The storms are intense though in the Gulf. If you look at GOES and consider the relative 'nothing' it shows over SE LA, then compare it to the radar where there actuallly is some nearby tstorm activity, that goes to show that there's no doubt some intense rainfall and thunderstorm action in the Gulf. When it refires tomorrow, if over or close to land, somebody's gonna get a few inches of rain.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS ... klix.shtml

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseasthurrir.html

For the comparison noted above.

Steve
0 likes   

Rainband

#10 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:56 pm

cycloneye wrote:Rainband Northnortheast but we have to see if a low forms and them after that where exactly it will move but that will be the general direction.
I say notta too much shear is all our mets are saying.. :wink:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#11 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:58 pm

I'm sorry... I meant to say that the smaller area of convection east of the main "blob" we are watching in the Gulf of Mexico is moving more easterly toward Florida... I didn't mean to say the convection was moving toward Florida, so bluntly. :)
0 likes   

Rainband

#12 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:01 pm

ColdFront77 wrote:I'm sorry... I meant to say that the smaller area of convection east of the main "blob" we are watching in the Gulf of Mexico is moving more easterly toward Florida... I didn't mean to say the convection was moving toward Florida, so bluntly. :)
Tom I actually knew that you wre talking about the other area :wink: thanks
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#13 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:21 pm

Great, glad you understood what I meant, Jonathan. :)

The flow is more westerly to easterly than any other direction across the Gulf of Mexico, considering what it could be at that low latitude.
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Steve H. » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:34 pm

If upper level winds were light I'd say watch this area as it has shown some curvature in the past few loops. That being said, conditions look a bit hostile for any development as convection is getting sheared to the ENE. Watching a front coming towards the Texas coast, it would seem conditions will not get favorable. But I still feel we will see early development this season. :wink: Cheers!!
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Steve » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:38 pm

I agree ColdFront77. But if you watch a visible sat loop or the NO or LC radar, you can see the low-level flow is south to north. The rain is headed that way, but the blob appears to gradually move slightly eastward as it fires off continuously more westward (!?!?!?!). You can see that the split flow was south of FL 2-3 days ago, south of LA yesterday, and has been inching toward the coast of Brownsville all day today.

Steve
0 likes   

Rainband

#16 Postby Rainband » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:40 pm

Steve H. wrote:If upper level winds were light I'd say watch this area as it has shown some curvature in the past few loops. That being said, conditions look a bit hostile for any development as convection is getting sheared to the ENE. Watching a front coming towards the Texas coast, it would seem conditions will not get favorable. But I still feel we will see early development this season. :wink: Cheers!!
Me too..My prediction was central gulf in JUNE and I still think it will happen..Just NOT this disturbance..or should I say area of disturbed weather.. :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”