ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#12861 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:17 pm

Model skill at this time of the year (all the way until May) is not just a little lower than normal. Its down right terrible.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#12862 Postby JetFuel_SE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:22 pm

cycloneye wrote:I'm going to be honest here, I'm kind of lost on what exactly he is basing his idea that we're almost certain for an El Nino this year in that Tweet. I'm not exactly sure what "co2 fairy" and "Southern Hemisphere hotspots" mean as I've never heard of those terms before?

He's a climate change denier, they rarely make sense.
2 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#12863 Postby JetFuel_SE » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:25 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

Model skill at this time of the year (all the way until May) is not just a little lower than normal. Its down right terrible.

Might as well flip a coin instead of following models at this point.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12864 Postby Ntxw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:57 pm

The overall idea so far is El Nino is not coming in as fast as we would think given the stretch of La Nina. But there is some precedent (1998-2001) that we may linger neutral longer. Not out of realms of possibility an El Nino might not come officially until 2024, but still early.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12865 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:The overall idea so far is El Nino is not coming in as fast as we would think given the stretch of La Nina. But there is some precedent (1998-2001) that we may linger neutral longer. Not out of realms of possibility an El Nino might not come officially until 2024, but still early.

I agree; I think we're definitely leaving La Nina and will not see a quadruple dip. But unless we get strong, sustained WWBs throughout this month into March and April, I think the chances that we end up cool or warm neutral (I'm personally banking on warm neutral, but we'll see) greatly increase, and the chances that we end up with a bona fide El Nino greatly drop. As of now, the way I see things, the warmup is simply not that powerful enough that it will definitively drag the Pacific into El Nino territory.

Now I wonder kind of like how 2016 featured lingering El Nino effects despite being a La Nina year, if 2023 would similarly feature lingering La Nina effects even if hypothetically it turns out to be an El Nino year given how the La Nina we've had has remained in place at moderate strength for so long.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12866 Postby cycloneye » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:33 pm

CPC weekly update has Niño 3.4 warming up to -0.5C.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12867 Postby NotSparta » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 pm

Well yeah it does whenever La Nina isn't a foregone conclusion
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12868 Postby NotSparta » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:59 pm

Ntxw wrote:The overall idea so far is El Nino is not coming in as fast as we would think given the stretch of La Nina. But there is some precedent (1998-2001) that we may linger neutral longer. Not out of realms of possibility an El Nino might not come officially until 2024, but still early.

Yeah I can see us languishing in neutral this year, then an opportunity for Nino to come on strong in 2024. We'll see
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12869 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm

Maybe a modoki La Niña is forming? This occurs when warmer SST's sit off the coast of Ecuador while cooler SST's remain more West. This may have big implications because it can have major impacts and greatly modify La Niña making it feel more of a neutral to El Niño.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#12870 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:13 pm

cycloneye wrote:Maybe a modoki La Niña is forming? This occurs when warmer SST's sit off the coast of Ecuador while cooler SST's remain more West. This may have big implications because it can have major impacts and greatly modify La Niña making it feel more of a neutral to El Niño.

https://i.imgur.com/jbFd7RF.png

https://i.imgur.com/T2h4aF2.jpg

I've read somewhere in the forums that when an El Niño looked more center-based or Modoki, it's because the westerlies were not that strong to drive the pool of warm water all the way to the east. Hence, warm ENSO events that are Modoki are usually weak. Perhaps this one is telling that the current -ENSO is weakening and transitioning to a neutral state?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12871 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:11 am

CPC Febuary update has ENSO-neutral conditions that are expected to begin within the next couple of months, and persist through the Northern Hemisphere spring and early summer.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... disc.shtml
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates: CPC 2/9/23 update: Neutral conditions from April thru early summer / El Niño up to 60% for ASO

#12872 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 pm

Always is very interesting to read the ENSO Blog where they explain in a more detalied way all about what is going on with ENSO and what to expect.

From the blog:

But will the neutral conditions we expect for spring precede an El Niño?? Tell us what we really want to know! Currently, El Niño has odds of about 60% for next fall—and after three La Niña winters in a row, it might seem inevitable—but there are some factors that provide uncertainty. There’s our old friend, the spring predictability barrier. Forecasts made in the spring tend to have lower accuracy, at least in part because spring is a time of transition for ENSO (other possible factors are still being explored), making it harder for models to get a grip on what direction things are going.

In summary: La Niña is waning, and confidence is high that neutral conditions will be in place soon and will last through the spring and early summer. Chances for El Niño next fall are increasing, but we’ll have a better picture as we progress through and past the spring predictability barrier.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates: CPC 2/9/23 update: Neutral conditions from April thru early summer / El Niño up to 60% for ASO

#12873 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:44 pm

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12874 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:57 pm

MJO is set to move into the WPAC by the end of next week. So far the models are keeping it weak but trades should slow down near the dateline before picking up back again.

Lets see if the MJO can get stronger than forecast which models sometimes dont pick up in advance (as we saw in the past 2-4 weeks over the IO).

Regardless of what happens, the models that are forecasting El Nino for this summer all have a strong WPAC MJO in mid April. So that's the one to look for.

That being said, per climo the MJO starts to get weaker and weaker after March.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12875 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:17 pm

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12876 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:06 am

Interesting to note that the one area of the CONUS with above average precip according to that plot looks to be Central Florida.

It remains to be seen but with that kind of predicted ENSO state, Atlantic Caribbean activity may be greatly reduced, but the Eastern Seaboard of the CONUS may be at greater risk of potential cyclones if the subtropics are going to be like that.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12877 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:29 pm

1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12878 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:22 pm

Nino 1+2 is now positive for the first time in likely 2-3 years.

Nino 3 is also warming up.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12879 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 pm

So I was just wondering this recently given the ENSO state going from La Nina to neutral (with many models at this point calling for El Nino later this year), but why did so many models bust with the El Nino prediction in 2017? Quite interestingly, the ENSO configuration in the EPAC as of now resembles 2017 in the sense that there are the anomalously warm 1-2 region and cool 3-4 region.
0 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#12880 Postby zzzh » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:59 pm

EPS shows continuous dateline WWB.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”