ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates

#12221 Postby cycloneye » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:10 am

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12222 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:25 pm

The dateline WWB will be commencing in a week or so:

Should see some dark colored (very warm) anomalies on the subsurface graphics soon. We'll need more WWB reinforcements during the late winter and early spring months though. I think this is the first long sustained dateline WWB in 2 years.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12223 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Kingarabian wrote:The dateline WWB will be commencing in a week or so:
https://i.imgur.com/xaEqYPX.png

Should see some dark colored (very warm) anomalies on the subsurface graphics soon. We'll need more WWB reinforcements during the late winter and early spring months though. I think this is the first long sustained dateline WWB in 2 years.

Wasn’t there an epic one around Surigae in April?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12224 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:35 am

Yellow Evan wrote:

Wasn't a dateline WWB though. That WWB event's eastward progression was stunted and was mainly focused over 145E-150E. There's a big difference on ENSO impact between primarily WPAC WWB's and dateline/CPAC-EPAC WWB's (Walker circulation). I mean even if we have another dateline WWB, eventually there has to be a CPAC-EPAC WWB for a legit El Nino IMO.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#12225 Postby aspen » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:56 am

Yellow Evan wrote:

I remember there was a chance Surigae could’ve been a “Nina-buster” storm, but it ended up being too far north to impact ENSO progression. 2022 could be more vulnerable to a strong low-latitude WPac system, though.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12226 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:49 pm

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12227 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:31 am

The latest cfv2 runs show something quite alarming: there has been a noticeable trend toward a cooler ENSO state since last year's end regarding later this year, but as of the latest, the cfv2 actually thinks that the Nino 3,4 region will continue to remain in La Nina territory until at least next summer. Something just tells me that we're not going to see an El Nino next year, and dare I say it, I personally have a slight inclination to believe that a third year La Nina, while less likely than neutral imho, cannot be completely ruled out yet.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12228 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:12 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:The latest cfv2 runs show something quite alarming: there has been a noticeable trend toward a cooler ENSO state since last year's end regarding later this year, but as of the latest, the cfv2 actually thinks that the Nino 3,4 region will continue to remain in La Nina territory until at least next summer. Something just tells me that we're not going to see an El Nino next year, and dare I say it, I personally have a slight inclination to believe that a third year La Nina, while less likely than neutral imho, cannot be completely ruled out yet.

Models are pretty useless until about May.
7 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#12229 Postby AlphaToOmega » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:The latest cfv2 runs show something quite alarming: there has been a noticeable trend toward a cooler ENSO state since last year's end regarding later this year, but as of the latest, the cfv2 actually thinks that the Nino 3,4 region will continue to remain in La Nina territory until at least next summer. Something just tells me that we're not going to see an El Nino next year, and dare I say it, I personally have a slight inclination to believe that a third year La Nina, while less likely than neutral imho, cannot be completely ruled out yet.

There is a chance we might not know the true ENSO state until September.

0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12230 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

There is a chance we might not know the true ENSO state until September.

https://i.postimg.cc/MHCVhTxX/figure1.gif
https://i.postimg.cc/HWRwJS5H/figure1.gif
https://i.postimg.cc/jdfzyzQf/figure1.gif

Those graphs come from statistical models I believe and probably shouldn’t be taken literally. After the spring predictably barrier, we’ll have a good idea on whether the current downwelling Kelvin Wave is going to reach the surface, or whether the PDO will weaken (not too optimistic here given the record -PNA so far that is likely to return by the end of the month).
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#12231 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:32 pm

Eh, long-range climate models such as the CFS are rather unreliable until the Spring Predictability Barrier. I'd take it with a grain of salt for now.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12232 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:39 pm

I'm just curious to know, but when was the most recent year when people were certain in January that that year would be a certain ENSO state (La Nina, neutral, or El Nino) as there was damning evidence pointing towards such, and that obviously turning out to be true? Was it 2016?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12233 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm just curious to know, but when was the most recent year when people were certain in January that that year would be a certain ENSO state (La Nina, neutral, or El Nino) as there was damning evidence pointing towards such, and that obviously turning out to be true? Was it 2016?

2020. If not 2015. There was some speculation of the Niño continuing on through 2016 for a bit.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12234 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:36 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm just curious to know, but when was the most recent year when people were certain in January that that year would be a certain ENSO state (La Nina, neutral, or El Nino) as there was damning evidence pointing towards such, and that obviously turning out to be true? Was it 2016?

Definitely 2020. Already it was a second year +ENSO which strongly suggested La Niña, but at the same time there was strong +IOD and the equatorial Atlantic was on fire. Those both also telegraphed an oncoming La Niña. Even at this time of year in 2020 it wasn't too hard to tell what was coming. Definitely not the same this year. Very uncertain, best chance at an El Niño event since 2019
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#12235 Postby AlphaToOmega » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:42 am

It was probably 2015. There was some dispute about the ENSO state for the 2020-2021 winter; during February of 2020, the ECMWF had forecasted warm-neutral conditions that winter.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12236 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Looking at values from the CPC, all those years generally had warmer OHC in December compared to December 2021. The exception was 2009. The reason is due to the current upwelling KW beneath the EPAC holding strong negative anomalies.

Also 2018 had the backing of a warm PDO and warm PMM.

2012 was supposed to be a +ENSO year but a strongly -PDO and -PMM eventually killed off the momentum.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12237 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 pm

:uarrow: Look at the downwelling Kelvin Wave around 160E that should make its way westward.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12238 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:21 am

Kingarabian wrote:

Looking at values from the CPC, all those years generally had warmer OHC in December compared to December 2021. The exception was 2009. The reason is due to the current upwelling KW beneath the EPAC holding strong negative anomalies.

2012 was supposed to be a +ENSO year but a strongly -PDO and -PMM eventually killed off the momentum.
https://i.imgur.com/fY70AP0.png

Also FWIW:

https://twitter.com/climatologist49/status/1480981936319307777

Historically odds look okay for a Niño tbh, better than I thought they did. But at bare minimum the -PDO and +AMO and -SPMM should allow for the Niño to be west based if it occurs at all, especially if +PMM emerges.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12239 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 am

Yellow Evan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Also FWIW:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/733552925317791814/930643597563396096/averageensoni.png

https://twitter.com/climatologist49/status/1480981936319307777?s=21

Historically odds look okay for a Niño tbh, better than I thought they did. But at bare minimum the -PDO and +AMO and -SPMM should allow for the Niño to be west based if it occurs at all, especially if +PMM emerges.

The one question I do have with using the early 70s as an analog is, how closely would 1972 match 2022 in terms of factors such as AMO or WAM strength? Particularly the latter, since it seems like that being strong the past several years (and assuming it's strong again this year) has been really holding back any durable El Ninos from happening.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12240 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Looking at values from the CPC, all those years generally had warmer OHC in December compared to December 2021. The exception was 2009. The reason is due to the current upwelling KW beneath the EPAC holding strong negative anomalies.

Also FWIW:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/733552925317791814/930643597563396096/averageensoni.png

https://twitter.com/climatologist49/status/1480981936319307777?s=21

The one question I do have with using the early 70s as an analog is, how closely would 1972 match 2022 in terms of factors such as AMO or WAM strength? Particularly the latter, since it seems like that being strong the past several years (and assuming it's strong again this year) has been really holding back any durable El Ninos from happening.

1972 was right during an awful Sahel drought that in conjunction with the newly developed -AMO shut down the Atlantic for several years.

1972 looks somewhat similar IOD and PDO wise but -AMM, +SPMM, and -AMO make the maps much different and make 1972 a much more likely Niño candidate. The +SPMM in turn makes the Niño more likely to be east based, and -AMM/-AMO provides less competition for rising motion to occur over a given region while preserving Earth’s energy balance.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”