ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO Updates: Important CPC March update tomorrow: (Feb had 60% of El Niño for ASO)

#12941 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:59 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:NMME is all in for El NIño. Notable thing is the dry Caribbean.

https://i.imgur.com/0BNgNp3.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZDdH4so.png

One thing I would note about that precip graphic is how dry it is around Hawaii and that region of the Pacific. Wouldn't El Ninos help make that area more moist?

The anomalies in the graph reflect that of a southward displaced ITCZ due to the Nino.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC 3/9/23 update: La Niña is over / 61% Chance of El Niño for ASO

#12942 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:04 am

Breaking news: La NIña is over and this will be the final La NIña advisory. Very important 2 sentences= The smaller chances of El Niño relative to the model predictions are primarily because ENSO forecasts made during the spring are less accurate, and also the tropical Pacific atmosphere is still fairly consistent with a cool/La Niña-like state. However, it is possible that strong warming near South America may portend a more rapid evolution toward El Niño and will be closely monitored.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... disc.shtml
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12943 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:17 am

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12944 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:58 am

ENSO Blog

Is always very interesting to read what they are thinking about the updates and in this case, the March one that ends La Niña.

Excerpt from blog. The Peru factor is important.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#12945 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:32 pm

I don't know but the warmth spreading from east to west sounds new to me. Isn't it that the warmth comes from the West/Central Pacific then it is transported to the east via WWBs? In some cases in the past the westerlies were not strong enough to transport the warmth all the way to the East Pacific that the resulting El Niño was weak or center-based (Modoki). But the warmth coming from the east?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12946 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:20 pm

dexterlabio wrote:I don't know but the warmth spreading from east to west sounds new to me. Isn't it that the warmth comes from the West/Central Pacific then it is transported to the east via WWBs? In some cases in the past the westerlies were not strong enough to transport the warmth all the way to the East Pacific that the resulting El Niño was weak or center-based (Modoki). But the warmth coming from the east?

They probably mean that the El Nino if it were to occur, would build in a more traditional manner. The source of the warm water has to come from the WPAC in the form of downwelling KWs. Those warm anomalies end up erupting in the far eastern Pacific. Trades would then carry those warm waters back west to warm the Nino 3.4 and Nino 4 regions. This would be different than 2017 when prolonged westerlies in the Nino 1.2 area created a coastal Nino that fooled the models.

So we still need to see more dateline WWBs to keep the train of warm anomalies from the WPAC to EPAC alive.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#12947 Postby weeniepatrol » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:21 pm

dexterlabio wrote:I don't know but the warmth spreading from east to west sounds new to me. Isn't it that the warmth comes from the West/Central Pacific then it is transported to the east via WWBs? In some cases in the past the westerlies were not strong enough to transport the warmth all the way to the East Pacific that the resulting El Niño was weak or center-based (Modoki). But the warmth coming from the east?

Those WWBs cause downwelling kelvin waves, suppressing the thermocline and transporting anomalously warm water east at depth. These downwelling kws collide with the coast of South America and emerge, causing anomalous warmth to spread from east to west.

This is more of the mechanism for a "classic" El Nino versus the last El Nino of 2018 (CPac-flavored)
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12948 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:18 pm

The SOI is down to negative and that is important in terms of saying bye to La Niña and hello to warmer ENSO being warm Neutral or weak to moderate El Niño for ASO.

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12949 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:20 pm

:uarrow: 30 day is still positive :P
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12950 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:42 pm

I have a question: does anybody know if 1969 was a Modoki El Niño or a traditional El Niño? That year has really fascinated me as a wx enthusiast considering how dead the EPAC was and how active the Atlantic was
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12951 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Kingarabian wrote::uarrow: 30 day is still positive :P

I was mentioning about the daily data. :D The 30 day is still positive but trending down.
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12952 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I have a question: does anybody know if 1969 was a Modoki El Niño or a traditional El Niño? That year has really fascinated me as a wx enthusiast considering how dead the EPAC was and how active the Atlantic was

I had always assumed it was Modoki but I think I heard it was east-based? I will have to search out the thread.

Here it is:

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopi ... i#p3015613

I don't think my question got answered (unless it was on a different page), so I'm still not entirely sure.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12953 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:42 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I have a question: does anybody know if 1969 was a Modoki El Niño or a traditional El Niño? That year has really fascinated me as a wx enthusiast considering how dead the EPAC was and how active the Atlantic was

2004 is also a Modoki El Niño...
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#12954 Postby zzzh » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:47 pm

Doesn't look Modoki
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#12955 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:14 am

If the Daily SOI tanks big time, like in the -40 to -20 range, would that be a sign that the atmosphere is at least starting to say hello to El Nino?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates

#12956 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:28 am

The key question is what is next for ENSO after the demise of La Niña.

https://twitter.com/TylerJStanfield/status/1634908541952872448

2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12957 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:45 am

Next test is in 5-7 days when the MJO reaches the Indian Ocean. As long as it keeps moving and does not get strong in that area, transition to El Nino should still continue. If we see a WWB in the Indian Ocean again then that's a problem.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12958 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:19 am

CPC weekly update has Niño 3.4 at -0.1C.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates=CPC Weekly update= Niño 3.4 at -0.1C / Niño 1+2 at +1.5C

#12959 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:35 am

1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12960 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Next test is in 5-7 days when the MJO reaches the Indian Ocean. As long as it keeps moving and does not get strong in that area, transition to El Nino should still continue. If we see a WWB in the Indian Ocean again then that's a problem.

It looks to go on a weakening phase over the IO and MC. Models hint at rising motion out into the wPac come April. Another bump up would increase the progression. You'd want each month to add on to the one prior for an El Nino.

2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”