Please give to The Red Cross ... we raised $32,500 TODAY

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

FloridaHawk82
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Please give to The Red Cross ... we raised $32,500 TODAY

#1 Postby FloridaHawk82 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm

My company commited all of our management staff today to calling our business partners and a few of our top clients. We challenged each of them that we would match their contribution to The American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Some of our smaller partners contributed $250 or $500. We had seven partners contribute $1000, one for $1500, and then about an hour ago Universal Studios pledged $5000.

The $16,250 pledged by our partners exceeded our expectations, as we did the same thing last year after Hurricane Frances and had $7400 pledged (and it hit our home office). I think this speaks to the seriousness that people are observing. We are gladly matching the $16,250 and will be sending The American Red Cross $32,500 first thing tomorrow.

I DO NOT post this to pat ourselves on the back, but to encourage everyone to give what they can or organize a fund drive.

1. Request that your business/company match employee contributions.
2. Email/Call your friends and relatives to give what they can.
3. Donate directly at http://www.redcross.org/ or call 1-800-HELPNOW

My 5 year-old son came home today from his elementary here in Iowa with a flyer that their school is doing a a donation drive this week for The Red Cross. My wife said when my son got home he brought her his piggy bank and said he wanted to "give it to the people he sees on TV". Every little bit counts.
0 likes   

flarrfan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

I just donated!

#2 Postby flarrfan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:59 pm

The Red Cross needs your help now more than ever before. Every relief effort that the Red Cross can't afford is one more job your tax dollars will end up paying for, probably much more inefficiently.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby lurkey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:02 pm

For those looking for alternatives or additional charities to give to, the Salvation Army and the American Second Harviest are accepting donations.

America’s Second Harvest
1-800-344-8070

Salvation Army
1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Catholic Charities is involved, mainly because New Orleans is heavily Catholic .

The Humane Society of America is involved with the rescue of animals in the affected area

[url=http://www.methodistrelief.org/site/pp.asp?c=bhKNI4PHIpE&b=876335[/url]Methodist Relief[/url]

Please put "Hurricane Katrina Relief" in the memo portion of your check to make sure your money is spent for Hurricane Katrina relief.
Last edited by lurkey on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks for the links and the reminder guys!
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:12 pm

FloridaHawk, god bless you. It's efforts like that that are really making it easier for us.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#6 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:16 pm

I can't emphasize this enough:

If you want your donations to go specifically to Hurricane Katrina Relief, please write on the check "Hurricane Katrina Relief." Otherwise, it gets distributed to a general fund and only a percentage of every dollar donated will be designated for HKR efforts.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:19 pm

Kevin_Cho wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:FloridaHawk, god bless you. It's efforts like that that are really making it easier for us.

All of the US, and especially Florida are on their way to help you in everyway. I've been reading the local papers here in SW Florida. Locally the Naples/Fort Myers area are sending entire chapters of Red Cross members, firefighters and police staff as well. (The entire Naples Firefighter staff is on stand-by to be called to Louisiana).

Many chapters are pulling out of Miami, (from Katrina's first landfall), and heading towards Louisiana and Mississippi.

God's speed to them,
Kevin Cho

Thanks Kevin. I also heard that Florida is sending 300 airboats with captains. We in N.O. will never forget the efforts made by yall. Tell somebody thanks for us.
0 likes   

FloridaHawk82
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby FloridaHawk82 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:35 pm

Kevin Cho[/quote]
Thanks Kevin. I also heard that Florida is sending 300 airboats with captains. We in N.O. will never forget the efforts made by yall. Tell somebody thanks for us.[/quote]

The people who commit their equipment, resources, and especially themselves are REAL heros... We try to do everything we can financially, but the thousands of brave people who are putting themselves in harms way to help deserve our prayers and gratefulness.

p.s. We had one of our bank clients in Indiana call back toward the end of the day with a $3k pledge, so our total is now $38,500.

Also, my daughter who is a Sophmore here at The University of Iowa said that her sorority leadership is meeting with all of the other sororities and fraternities to quickly organize a fundraiser. This is another great idea to pass along, as these college kids can raise enormous amounts of money for things like this.

Also, GalvestonDuck is 100% correct and that was an oversight on my part... Please put "Hurricane Katrina Relief" in the memo portion of yopur check
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:50 pm

On the website, they have choices as to where you want your donation to be used. There is one for "Hurricane Relief 2005", but you can select "Other" and I believe indicate what it is for. I used "Hurricane Relief 2005".
0 likes   

milankovitch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby milankovitch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:57 pm

My university's meteorology department will be meeting tonight to plan a fundraiser.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby lurkey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:38 pm

I've edited my post above to include the information about the memo line.

One more link: from another post ---
Katrina Help has a list of chartitable organizations that are seeking donations for Hurricane Katrina relief.

REMINDER: Please put "Hurricane Katrina Relief" in the memo portion of your check to make sure your money is spent for Hurricane Katrina relief.
0 likes   

FloridaHawk82
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12 Postby FloridaHawk82 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 am

lurker_from_nc wrote:I've edited my post above to include the information about the memo line.

One more link: from another post ---
Katrina Help has a list of chartitable organizations that are seeking donations for Hurricane Katrina relief.

REMINDER: Please put "Hurricane Katrina Relief" in the memo portion of your check to make sure your money is spent for Hurricane Katrina relief.

Lurker, that is an EXCELLENT donation list... deserves to be bumped up. Thanks!
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby HurricaneGirl » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:26 am

Just donated $50. Its not alot but every little bit will help.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby lurkey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:48 pm

It is now possible donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina Relief at Amazon.com.

This is similar to what was set up for tsuami relief earlier this year.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby soonertwister » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:58 pm

I donated my money to the Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund.

If this isn't a national disaster, then such a thing doesn't exist.
0 likes   

Callista
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby Callista » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:02 pm

I'm gonna talk to some people at my university... maybe we can have a drive or something.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”