Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#61 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:00 pm

And I just heard on the WWL-TV stream, that the four suspects involved were arrested and taken to jail. I hope LA has the death penalty, and that this individual gets it.
0 likes   

kevin

#62 Postby kevin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:15 pm

I have noticed two threads of thought.

One is that all looters should be shot because their very actions are inconcievable. And that stealing food is absolutely wrong. I disagree with this.

The other is that looters should be left alone because they are just trying to survive and that its wrong to kill if people are stealing. I disagree with this also.

My idea is broadly this : without control all society degenerates into a state of nature. When things are plentiful and social norms are present and impressed on people they need very little control. However when society moves towards a state of nature where people can in fact do anything they want, mass hysteria results. Looting, revenge killings, outright insanity on a social scale.

All looters should not be shot. However the looting should be stopped. Its not the crime that is wrong it is what the crime causes on a massive scale. Power must be demonstrated for control to be established. A few of the worst must pay so that the better rest don't get swept away. If the mob rules all sorts of heads roll. Therefore it makes sense in a cold calculated manner (but how else would you make decisions), to employ lethal force.
0 likes   

sbobek
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

looters shot

#63 Postby sbobek » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:28 pm

I just talked to someone who got out of NO this afternoon, and he told me that the looters were being shot at and he saw at least one looter who had sustained a lethal shot. He saw that looter on a street corner with the computer still on top of him.
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#64 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:40 pm

He saw that looter on a street corner with the computer still on top of him.

Boy I hope that guy felt the few minutes with a computer in his hands was worth it. Lets hope that control and order is restored in short order.

Remember that as martial law has been declared all of our fellow Americans in New Orleans are legally denied most of their constitutional rights. This is one of the types of situations that our rights CAN be suspended, and HAVE been suspended, and in good order too. This is honestly the ONLY way to deal with such a situation.
0 likes   

Frantastic
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#65 Postby Frantastic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:29 pm

I don't think martial law has been declared there, heard earlier that it was misreported.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#66 Postby gunner1551 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:33 pm

It was declared hours ago.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#67 Postby gunner1551 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm

I have great news to repot.

Just read on nola.com that

The New Orleans police officer shot in the head by a looter Tuesday was expected to survive, officials said.

The officer, who has not been identified, was in surgery at West Jefferson Medical Center after being shot in the forehead, police said.

The officer was shot by a looter after he and another officer confronted a number of looters at a Chevron store at Shirley and Gen. DeGaulle.

Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies on the scene arrested four people in connection with the shooting. One of the looters reportedly was shot in the arm by an officer during a shootout.
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#68 Postby NFLDART » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:41 pm

:cheesy: :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”