Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Praxus wrote:Lots of smugness and heartlessness here from the comforts of peoples
homes. Love to see how many of you would not break into a convenience
store if you had no food and water and no other access to it.

But you'd go hungry and thirsty for days, right, before breaking into
an abandoned store ? Gimmee a break.

are you watching the news at all? I am not seeing much food taken.. Its jewelry cd players etc...
No comment from you on the police officer shot.. Just the poor misunderstood looters
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby ericinmia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:42 pm

THey won't be there for days... THEY AREN"T LEGALLY ALLOWED THERE AT ALL!

There is a mandatory evac of EVERYONE not associated with the govt.
They aren't getting supplies for days, they should know they shouldn't be there, and they need to be removed. Forcibly if necissary.

There is NO excuse to be looting anything, they should be evacuating... not preparing and gathering sustenance for a stay.
-Eric
0 likes   

Seele
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby Seele » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Another pointless argument. I think we can all agree that people are going to get food however they need to survive. I think we can also agree that the people looting jewlery and other non-essetial items are scum. Whether you think they deserve to be shot or not, some law and order needs to be put in place there for everyone's safety and for the people that did evacuate.

I think that while shoot on sight shouldn't be the first choice, if order is attempted to be put in place and it takes violent means to gain that order, it should be done. I would also think that most of us can agree on that, just some think that shoot on sight is necessary to gain control.
0 likes   

Jim Hughes
Category 3
Category 3

#24 Postby Jim Hughes » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:45 pm

Tertius wrote:
Jake8898 wrote:And some on here suggest that we should have pity for the looters. If they'll shoot a cop they'll shoot citizens in their home.

ONE GUY shot a cop. Allegedly. Equating all looters with this one guy is p*ss poor logic. Am I defending looting? No, I am not. I also won't defend embezzlers, tax cheaters, or people who download copywrited material but I would humbly suggest that murder is a different breed of crime altogether and summary execution is a tad over the top (as another poster suggested).

You have to think about where most of these comments are coming from. They are most likely coming from males 30 and under. Typical hotheads who rely on instant forrce without thinking....Nobody was more of a hothead than myself in my youth..Bar room brawls...good ones too old fashion way chairs and tables flying ,.. not knives and guns...were a hobby unitl I joined the Army in 1982.

You learn in boot camp how to control both your thoughts and temper. You'll be squahsed like a gnat if you do not. They had a saying . You put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in drive.

This is why I believe it should be mandatory for 18-21 year olds to go through boot camp. I am not for a mandatory draft but I believe this would bring maturity to allot of people. People who have experienced violence are usually the last ones who want to inforce it.

I agree with you. One bad apple does not mean everyone is going to act like this. Let's see what happens down there before we make this the wild wild west. Calm heads should prevail here.

Jim
0 likes   

NFLnut
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

#25 Postby NFLnut » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:46 pm

tallywx wrote:then what? i'd like to see what they'd do then. start eating each other?

Don't put it past animals like that. These are the kind of vermin that only understand they have to behave when the military shows up and has them looking into the muzzle of an M16!
0 likes   

Jake8898
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#26 Postby Jake8898 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:47 pm

Tertius wrote:
Jake8898 wrote:And some on here suggest that we should have pity for the looters. If they'll shoot a cop they'll shoot citizens in their home.

ONE GUY shot a cop. Allegedly. Equating all looters with this one guy is p*ss poor logic. Am I defending looting? No, I am not. I also won't defend embezzlers, tax cheaters, or people who download copywrited material but I would humbly suggest that murder is a different breed of crime altogether and summary execution is a tad over the top (as another poster suggested).

You are not from New Orleans, I am, and can assure you that a significant percentage of looters in a city which is often named the "murder capital" of the U.S. have nothing but evil intentions in their minds. I've worked in the prisons and the free care hospitals of N.O. and know of what I speak.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:48 pm

One bad apple

One bad apple? Aparently you have not been watching much TV.. Looting going on EVERYWHERE.. One bad apple my butt
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#28 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:49 pm

"I think we can all agree that people are going to get food however they need to survive. I think we can also agree that the people looting jewlery and other non-essetial items are scum"

Well said.

Obviously the guy who shot the cop deserves execution.
I didn't need to state the obvious !
0 likes   

wlfpack81
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#29 Postby wlfpack81 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:51 pm

Hah putting words im my mouth ( I feel this comment was directed at me). First all I'm sorry for that officers family/friends and the killer if they can find him should face the death penality once tried. Now....

In all of my posts on this issue I've said looting was wrong and they should be dealt with but I still don't agree on shooting on site. You can't shoot every damn looter as not all of them will have weapons though there will be those who will. No secret crime is big in NO and there are those with weapons who will try to use them in this situation.

At the very least if you're gonna shoot at least aim for the legs or arm to disable them so they can be tackled to be arrested. Start shooting to kill all looters then that's gonna make the situation 1,000 worse than it already is or will become. Talk about a riot in that case.

I know I'll get flamed but oh well. Still sticking to my opinion.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:53 pm

wlfpack81 wrote:

Hah putting words im my mouth ( I feel this comment was directed at me). First all I'm sorry for that officers family/friends and the killer if they can find him should face the death penality once tried. Now....

In all of my posts on this issue I've said looting was wrong and they should be dealt with but I still don't agree on shooting on site. You can't shoot every damn looter as not all of them will have weapons though there will be those who will. No secret crime is big in NO and there are those with weapons who will try to use them in this situation.

At the very least if you're gonna shoot at least aim for the legs or arm to disable them so they can be tackled to be arrested. Start shooting to kill all looters then that's gonna make the situation 1,000 worse than it already is or will become. Talk about a riot in that case.

I know I'll get flamed but oh well. Still sticking to my opinion.

No Flame.. Just debate..

What would you say we do if say 10 more officers where shot and killed today by looters?
0 likes   

themusk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#31 Postby themusk » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:55 pm

blueeyes_austin wrote:What part of this don't some of you get?

By "understanding" when people steal "necessities," you create a climate where stealing becomes acceptable...and general lawlessness ensues.

The law in Louisiana is built upon different principles, but I seem to recall that in the English system we use everywhere else, it is legal for a citizen to comandeer property in an emergency in order to save life, if there are no other alternatives.
0 likes   

Jake8898
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#32 Postby Jake8898 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Jim Hughes wrote:
Tertius wrote:

You have to think about where most of these comments are coming from. They are most likely coming from males 30 and under. Typical hotheads who rely on instant forrce without thinking....Nobody was more of a hothead than myself in my youth..Bar room brawls...good ones too old fashion way chairs and tables flying ,.. not knives and guns...were a hobby unitl I joined the Army in 1982.

You learn in boot camp how to control both your thoughts and temper. You'll be squahsed like a gnat if you do not. They had a saying . You put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in drive.

This is why I believe it should be mandatory for 18-21 year olds to go through boot camp. I am not for a mandatory draft but I believe this would bring maturity to allot of people. People who have experienced violence are usually the last ones who want to inforce it.

I agree with you. One bad apple does not mean everyone is going to act like this. Let's see what happens down there before we make this the wild wild west. Calm heads should prevail here.

Jim

I'm not under 30 and not a "hot head." In fact I've got 8 years post graduate education and have never been in a fight. But, I know from years of experience in New Orleans(both growing up there and where I've worked) that my comments above are the sad truth.
0 likes   

SkeetoBite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby SkeetoBite » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:56 pm

This thread is almost an hour old. Consider the following:

1. This sure seems like it would be a MAJOR headline. It doesn't appear on any major news website or even on the WWLTV website referenced in the first post.

2. Folks are suffering and we are focused on whether we should shoot people in the streets for stealing. Incredible.

3. The people who are not stealing food but property are probably acting the same way they did a week ago, except now they are taking advantage of a crisis and feel they don't need to hide.
0 likes   

wlfpack81
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby wlfpack81 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 pm

chadtm80 wrote:No Flame.. Just debate..

What would you say we do if say 10 more officers where shot and killed today by looters?

I said if it comes down to shooting at least try to disable by going for a leg, arm, stomach unless there's no other choice. But at least go for a disable method first if possible to get them down so they can be arrested. And by disable I don't mean they have to wait for non-lethal weapons to arrive. Bullet(s) in the leg or arm will be more than enough to get the looters down on the ground. Obviously though I know it's a stressful situation and these cops don't want to lose their lives as they have families too they want to see again. I can understand if I were in their situation but I just find some of these shoot to kill ALL looters comments overboard IMO.

I'm taking a break from this thread and the others for a while. I feel there's other underlying issues too here concerning looting but won't go there.

Take care and good luck to those here on the boards who have co-workers, friends or family affected by the storm.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#35 Postby Houstonia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:12 pm

SkeetoBite wrote:This thread is almost an hour old. Consider the following:

1. This sure seems like it would be a MAJOR headline. It doesn't appear on any major news website or even on the WWLTV website referenced in the first post.

2. Folks are suffering and we are focused on whether we should shoot people in the streets for stealing. Incredible.

3. The people who are not stealing food but property are probably acting the same way they did a week ago, except now they are taking advantage of a crisis and feel they don't need to hide.

Thank you Skeetobite. I did say it was an unconfirmed report, and then I went back and underlined unconfirmed. I NEVER expected it to set off such a flashfire. If I had, I would not have posted it.

But, the looters have received such attention on all the other posts, I guess it was stupid of me to think it wouldn't degrade to such an arguement here.

btw, WWL-TV just said they are trying to find more information...
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:14 pm

I agree wlfpack81. Too many people see guns and killing people
as a simple solution. And you're right, it reflects broad issues that this
forum is not appropriate to discuss.
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

#37 Postby Mello1 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:19 pm

SkeetoBite wrote:This thread is almost an hour old. Consider the following:

I was just about to ask if this has been confirmed by a credible source. This may be a very bad rumor. It wouldn't be the first time that unconfirmed rumors started unnecessary hysterics.
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#38 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:22 pm

Not a flame, merely an observation. As a person trained by the military, and later on in a career in law enforcement, this is something you would never do.

Not only is it difficult enough to hit your target in general, (after all you are pointing a weapon at them, of course they don't want you to hit them) if the decision is made by yourself to use deadly force, you do just that. Your sidearm, weapon, M-16, whatever is NOT a tool to disable.

The decision to fire your weapon is made if the person on the receiving end is about to utilize deadly force on YOU, if they are an immediate threat to someone elses life, or under orders (in the case of the military). You NEVER shoot to maim, that just lets them get up and attempt to use deadly force back on you.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#39 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Praxus wrote:I agree wlfpack81. Too many people see guns and killing people
as a simple solution. And you're right, it reflects broad issues that this
forum is not appropriate to discuss.

No, it reflects a difference of opinion on the nature of humanity and the necessity of imposing social control, by force if necessary.

I suggest you read Hobbes.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#40 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:30 pm

dolebot_Broward_NW wrote:

Not a flame, merely an observation. As a person trained by the military, and later on in a career in law enforcement, this is something you would never do.

Not only is it difficult enough to hit your target in general, (after all you are pointing a weapon at them, of course they don't want you to hit them) if the decision is made by yourself to use deadly force, you do just that. Your sidearm, weapon, M-16, whatever is NOT a tool to disable.

The decision to fire your weapon is made if the person on the receiving end is about to utilize deadly force on YOU, if they are an immediate threat to someone elses life, or under orders (in the case of the military). You NEVER shoot to maim, that just lets them get up and attempt to use deadly force back on you.

Ditto that -- don't aim unless you intend to shoot and don't shoot unless you intend to kill.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”