Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#41 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:33 pm

Hobbes ?

I suggest you read Locke. I believe he more accurately reflects the principles
america was founded on.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby PTrackerLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:35 pm

Just heard on a Baton Rouge news station that there is a hostage situation at Orleans Parish Prison. Details were sketchy but there are uprisings occuring.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby TSmith274 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:36 pm

I live in New Orleans too, and I want the NOPD to start using deadly force. These people are lowlifes. These areas are infested with the very people who drive our crimerate in N.O.
Time to send in the National Guard in force with M-16's in hand with the authority to stop the looting by any means necessary.
0 likes   

Three Blind Mice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#44 Postby Three Blind Mice » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:37 pm

Only one way to stop looting........armed force with orders to protect property. Yes, that means shooting people if they decide they are above the law. Period! During Hugo the best thing that happened in Charlotte was when the National Guard from Asheville, MP outfit, showed up three days after. Calming effect of a uniform and a M-16 at every corner.

Law enforcement has the authority to obtain food etc from stores as it becomes necessary. Looters don't make a good system of distribution very often.

Those of you that don't like it need to stop and think about what comes next.....mobs going house to house looking for goodies. Ask the people of St Croix about it after Hugo. Force needs to be seen quickly or this is going to get real ugly and very unamerican.

Hell, if nothing else there are enough bass boats and good ole boys within 8 hours time to turn this thing around. But the call has to go out. Feds do move slowly, its just the nature of the beast. Clock is ticking......

Time to start Operation "Git R Dun"
0 likes   

wlfpack81
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#45 Postby wlfpack81 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:39 pm

dolebot_Broward_NW wrote:The decision to fire your weapon is made if the person on the receiving end is about to utilize deadly force on YOU, if they are an immediate threat to someone elses life, or under orders (in the case of the military). You NEVER shoot to maim, that just lets them get up and attempt to use deadly force back on you.

Okay I said no more posts but just wanted to clear up one thing. I do agree with self-defense and if a looter / anyone else in general attempts to harm the secruity force in the city then all bets are off. Fair game.

However, I was talking about the issue from a standpoint of shooting to kill looters on site when they haven't attempted anyting against the said police / military force. As in getting shoot coming out of the grocery / electronic store with goods. That's the feeling I was getting from some of the posters. Shoot on site to me means shoot as soon as you see them even if they haven't acted aggresively against you. In those situations I would hope for a shoot to maim tactic first if possible.

I know there weren't supposed to be anymore political posts but I wanted to clear this issue up. I'll take whatever consequences the mods give me. Either way this is my last post for a while I promise. 8-)

Adios
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

#46 Postby Mello1 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm

Er.... I hate to derail the passionate discussion here, but the AP is reporting that a looter shot ANOTHER LOOTER. It's in the NO report update thread....
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#47 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm

Your opinion is noted Wlfpack81 :) .
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby PTrackerLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:42 pm

Cops are looting too, isn't that just great. They need to get these people out, it will continue to get worse :cry: .
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#49 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:44 pm

Yeah apparently police are looting too. Should they also be shot on sight ?
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby ericinmia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:46 pm

Yes, the military should treat these traitor policemen the same as others and at the least stip them of duty and arrest them.
-Eric
0 likes   

Thunder44
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Thunder44 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:53 pm

Do you all who want all looters shot dead on site, want more deaths out of this storm? It would only cause more chaos. Show a little a compassion here. I like to see how you all would act in a desperate sitiuation. :roll:
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby ericinmia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:02 pm

The reason for laws and punishments are to SCARE people into obeying rules that keep our society civil.

In times of dire emergency, these rules need to be swifter and more resolute. There is no time for if's and trials. People need to know that there is no leeway. They WILL OBEY ALL LAWS AND ORDERS, anything short of that should be met with swift action.

This is the way all major US disasters have been delt with, harsh yes, but it works.

Unless you were here in south dade in Andrew you don't trully know the anarchy that existed, and exists right now in LA.

Put some military heli's in the air on megaphones, and tons of troops on each corner with m16's, and humvee's patrolling around with men manning the 50 cal machine gun turret. I gurantee people will act peacfully, and compasionately.
-Eric
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#53 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:07 pm

I agree about getting the military in there. And adequate supplies so that
looting essentials isn't necessary.

How come New Orleans isn't swarming with military already ??
0 likes   

WaryEye
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#54 Postby WaryEye » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:18 pm

I know I may be bashed for this but whether it is a cop, a punk or a mother trying to feed her kids.... it is wrong.

Thou Shalt Not Steal.

If I my kids were starving I would not steal food. It is my belief that God would find some way to provide for me as He always has. If He did not provide it and we died, then it was His will and I accept that He would have a higher purpose for that decision.

As for what is happening now, somebody better do something and do it fast. More people are dying and will continue to do so because of negligence.
0 likes   

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#55 Postby therealashe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:20 pm

What I wonder is... where do the looters who are going after jewelry, electronics etc... where do they think they're going to keep it? The city is flooding, the water is still rising. I'm fairly certain when it comes time for them to be rescued, they're not going to be able to take their new bling TV.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#56 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:35 pm

Praxus wrote:I agree about getting the military in there. And adequate supplies so that
looting essentials isn't necessary.

How come New Orleans isn't swarming with military already ??

Because the logistics to support such a deployment are being put in place.
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby caribepr » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Reality check. There are bad people and there are good people. There are people with moral codes and there are people with none. And there are people who have never considered the either/or of it...for whatever reasons...and I am sure they will fill some sociologist thesis.
If an opportunity arises, each will show his or her own moral code. Shock that cops are looting? Try seeing government officials looting...with guns to the ready to repel being stopped. Are these desperat times there? Absolutely. Is that a reason to do wrong? No. If you *can't understand* the mentality of someone who will use a gun to kill someone over looting (a criminal shooting a policeman type situation), consider yourself sane.
We can say, oh comprismise because our children are hungry. I watched many mothers wait, go hungry themselves and then get their children fed when food was availabl. And I watched others push children down, in the street, to feed themselves first.
People can *get ugly* but those who do, were ugly before this horror. That's reality. It's painful, this whole thing is horrendously painful. But to excuse insanity because of it...sorry, I don't buy it. Sadly, the majority of people will follow the right way through this suffering time but the minority will get the attention. Keep in mind your own moral code - it could happen to you at some point in time...and then you will find out what you might do.
0 likes   

Marilyn
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

#58 Postby Marilyn » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:00 pm

tallywx wrote:
Houstonia wrote:Officer shot in back of head - either N.O. or Algiers. Uncofirmed. Just reported on WWL-TV.

Shot by a looter in a convenience store.

Evidently the officer confronted a looter in the store. While either talking to him, or arresting him, or serving a citation or whatever, another looter came in and shot him in the back of the head.

As the news announcer said: desperation.

Egregious beyond belief. Killing off those attempting to revive the city. I'd like to see how these bottom-feeders would fare if the counterfactual were true: say the police and everyone else said "to hades with them." at some point, the loot would run out. then what? no food, nowhere to sell the goods, their homes and city flooded indefinitely. then what? i'd like to see what they'd do then. start eating each other?

maybe then they'd begin to appreciate the rule of law that exists in this country, even if they are not well off relatively speaking. the h*** of devastated new orleans as their prison.
They would EXPECT the Police and or national guard to help them get out . once the food was gone and the person that broke into a jewery store My God who in New Orleans will have the money to buy a stolen watch or ring ?and someone was trying to steal a TV Like he was going home to watch it. or sell to someone that may have power they are only hurting themselves...can you believe this whole looting thing.i can understand if some didnot have any food or drinks But the other stuff.!!
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:45 pm

The disgusting practice of looting is NOT about a couple kids getting a TV and a few cases of beer.

Looting perpetuates irrational decisions, by normally law-abiding citizens, to stay home and protect their property and ignore evacuation orders.
0 likes   

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Update on Officer

#60 Postby simplykristi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:53 pm

Just heard on WWL TV that the officer is expected to live and is in satisfactory conditon at a hospital.

Kristi
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”