Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

#1 Postby Houstonia » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Officer shot in back of head - either N.O. or Algiers. Uncofirmed. Just reported on WWL-TV.

Shot by a looter in a convenience store.

Evidently the officer confronted a looter in the store. While either talking to him, or arresting him, or serving a citation or whatever, another looter came in and shot him in the back of the head.

As the news announcer said: desperation.

Again - this is unconfirmed. But it was reported on WWL-TV. Anyone else hear anything about this yet?
Last edited by Houstonia on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

lester
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby lester » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:10 pm

wow :cry:
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Canelaw99 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:11 pm

OMG! And I fear it will continue to be worse from here on out until the military can get in there.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby djtil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:12 pm

one the violence begins, the police will have to answer and the rioting will begin....this is much easier to predict than storm tracks.

its about to get ugly in new orleans.
0 likes   

tallywx
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Breaking: officer shot as per WWL-TV

#5 Postby tallywx » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:14 pm

Houstonia wrote:Officer shot in back of head - either N.O. or Algiers. Uncofirmed. Just reported on WWL-TV.

Shot by a looter in a convenience store.

Evidently the officer confronted a looter in the store. While either talking to him, or arresting him, or serving a citation or whatever, another looter came in and shot him in the back of the head.

As the news announcer said: desperation.

Egregious beyond belief. Killing off those attempting to revive the city. I'd like to see how these bottom-feeders would fare if the counterfactual were true: say the police and everyone else said "to hades with them." at some point, the loot would run out. then what? no food, nowhere to sell the goods, their homes and city flooded indefinitely. then what? i'd like to see what they'd do then. start eating each other?

maybe then they'd begin to appreciate the rule of law that exists in this country, even if they are not well off relatively speaking. the h*** of devastated new orleans as their prison.
Last edited by tallywx on Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:15 pm

Not desperation. Lawlessness.

This is why the first looters needed to be shot.
0 likes   

jj_frap
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7 Postby jj_frap » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:17 pm

It's bad enough when it happens when they enforce fascist garbage like cannabis prohibition...

It's disgusting when they're actually doing something worthwhile to help the people and get killed.
0 likes   

Jake8898
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby Jake8898 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:19 pm

And some on here suggest that we should have pity for the looters. If they'll shoot a cop they'll shoot citizens in their home.
0 likes   

Jim Hughes
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby Jim Hughes » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

blueeyes_austin wrote:Not desperation. Lawlessness.

This is why the first looters needed to be shot.

IMHO that this is why the looters may have shot the cop. They know they could be shot. This is why more troops are needed. If you are going to impose immediate Marshal Law rules... like what some people have suggested ... than you need the proper people to inforce it...and equipment. The M16 can be quite intimidating with a full clip. The police are not the answer. They can only do so much.

Jim
0 likes   

canegrl04
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby canegrl04 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

There needs to be law and order restored.Martial Law means straighten up or you're dead :x
0 likes   

traciepb
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby traciepb » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm

This is horribly bad news..

I still don't consider families with nothing .. no money, no insurance, no food.. taking food from a grocery store in New Orleans right now (that will spoil or get covered in sludge anyway) the same as these people stealing electronics/jewelry/etc

Can you imagine? SOmeone else made a point earlier, that these people have no idea what is going on. They may think that looting for baby formula and food is all they can do to survive.

I have the means to get out, get money out of an ATm, or use my credit cards to do what it takes to find a hotel room, rent a car, etc. Most of the people left in New Orleans do not, or else they wouldn't still be there.

My heart goes out to our entire country today - I can hardly focus on anything but watching this horrible destruction continue to worsen, and I feel helpless as I can't help them directly.
0 likes   

Tertius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Tertius » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Jake8898 wrote:And some on here suggest that we should have pity for the looters. If they'll shoot a cop they'll shoot citizens in their home.

ONE GUY shot a cop. Allegedly. Equating all looters with this one guy is p*ss poor logic. Am I defending looting? No, I am not. I also won't defend embezzlers, tax cheaters, or people who download copywrited material but I would humbly suggest that murder is a different breed of crime altogether and summary execution is a tad over the top (as another poster suggested).
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby johngaltfla » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:31 pm

Tertius wrote:
Jake8898 wrote:And some on here suggest that we should have pity for the looters. If they'll shoot a cop they'll shoot citizens in their home.

ONE GUY shot a cop. Allegedly. Equating all looters with this one guy is p*ss poor logic. Am I defending looting? No, I am not. I also won't defend embezzlers, tax cheaters, or people who download copywrited material but I would humbly suggest that murder is a different breed of crime altogether and summary execution is a tad over the top (as another poster suggested).

You obviously was not in Homestead in 1992. I went their after the storm. I backed the shoot on site order then, as I would today.

Looters don't deserve anything but execution.

.223 style. :grr:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:31 pm

They've got to get some order down there... this is anarchy.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Anonymous

#15 Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:33 pm

My father is a police officer of 25 years....you used to be able to shoot looters on sight. The police will probably start doing so...and quite frankly...I would not see a reason not to.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:34 pm

What part of this don't some of you get?

By "understanding" when people steal "necessities," you create a climate where stealing becomes acceptable...and general lawlessness ensues.
0 likes   

traciepb
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#17 Postby traciepb » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:37 pm

Blueeyes, I don't think it's a function of us "not getting it".. It's just that most of these people have suffered so much in the last 2 days, and it will only get worse. I don't know what I'd do if I were in their shoes.

I'm educated, know right from wrong, and financially stable - but if I were in their shoes - I can't say that I wouldn't take food the way that they are. If there is a store half underwater, and a loaf of bread in sight and I've not eaten in 48 hours with no end in sight - I might just do something I wouldn't normally. And being shot over it would be a bit overkill.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby gtalum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:39 pm

traciepb wrote:I'm educated, know right from wrong, and financially stable - but if I were in their shoes - I can't say that I wouldn't take food the way that they are. If there is a store half underwater, and a loaf of bread in sight and I've not eaten in 48 hours with no end in sight - I might just do something I wouldn't normally. And being shot over it would be a bit overkill.

You or I wouldn't be in their shoes, because we'd have gotten the heck out of dodge.
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#19 Postby Praxus » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Lots of smugness and heartlessness here from the comforts of peoples
homes. Love to see how many of you would not break into a convenience
store if you had no food and water and no other access to it.

But you'd go hungry and thirsty for days, right, before breaking into
an abandoned store ? Gimmee a break.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:40 pm

traciepb wrote:Blueeyes, I don't think it's a function of us "not getting it".. It's just that most of these people have suffered so much in the last 2 days, and it will only get worse. I don't know what I'd do if I were in their shoes.

I'm educated, know right from wrong, and financially stable - but if I were in their shoes - I can't say that I wouldn't take food the way that they are. If there is a store half underwater, and a loaf of bread in sight and I've not eaten in 48 hours with no end in sight - I might just do something I wouldn't normally. And being shot over it would be a bit overkill.

That's right, you might. And if you've just seen your buddies do it and get away with it, you're much more willing to do so.

So, rather than have authorities spend their time on helping, they end up spending precious resources defending themselves and others.

And then EVERYONE is worse off.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”