Road Conditions

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dlg1972
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Road Conditions

#1 Postby dlg1972 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 am

Is there anywhere to get accurate road conditions? I have tried, AAA and the DOTD. The local news sites in NO are all reporting that roads "into" the NO or closed. I have very close friends currently in the Sheraton, downtown, who report no water yet, but they know its coming. They want to get OUT of NO. Is this possible? Is there a way for them to travel out of New Orleans, within the hour? Is there a site where I can relay them info?
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Road Conditions

#2 Postby crazycajuncane » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:11 am

dlg1972 wrote:Is there anywhere to get accurate road conditions? I have tried, AAA and the DOTD. The local news sites in NO are all reporting that roads "into" the NO or closed. I have very close friends currently in the Sheraton, downtown, who report no water yet, but they know its coming. They want to get OUT of NO. Is this possible? Is there a way for them to travel out of New Orleans, within the hour? Is there a site where I can relay them info?

I imagine by boat or air. Thats the only way they are getting out.

Boats will be on the way and should be out by daybreak.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 am

I would suggest doing whatever it takes........walk, hitch ect....
I am sure on will see a vehicle going somewhere........But I would walk my happy little legs off to get the heck out of there!!
0 likes   

cswitwer
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby cswitwer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 am

For gods sakes, tell them to move as high as possible in the building to avoid the rising floodwaters. There is no safe or accurate way to know how to get out, I think. Too much flooding everywhere. Too dangerous to walk or drive in the city. Give them this:

The Coast Guard strongly urges people in distress in the greater New Orleans area contact the emergency search and rescue phone lines for the state Office of Emergency Preparedness:
(225) 925-7708
(225) 925-7709
(225) 925-3511
(225) 925-7412

The Coast Guard and numerous federal, state and local emergency personnel have been working around the clock to save hundreds of New Orleans citizens in distress.
0 likes   

soney
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby soney » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:29 am

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

Road closures and openings posted on the Katrina blog at WWL, try there perhaps?

I don't know the local roads, perhaps someone can help. I also read somewhere in these postings that the only way out of NOLA was west.

Please tell your friends to be very careful, not only of the water but of the people.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:32 am

cswiter, great advice. I'd suggest that too.

MBismyPlayground, walking is a terrible idea right now. The rising floodwaters could drown them. At least right now, they are in a highrise hotel.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”